Scheduling and the FAA

I do not ever remember saying that I had it all figured out.
It seemed from your postings that you had concluded that AFA is corrupt, in bed with management, and that all the money you pay in dues is being wasted. Perhaps I misunderstood.

You seem pretty defensive with your comment. Does this mean you are one of the people in office that many have been refering to?
Nope. I haven't worked for an airline or a union for a while now. But I used to. And I got sick of people who cry and piss and moan all the time about how terrible their representation was, yet wouldn't lift a finger to do anything about it. They wouldn't even take a moment to learn how things work and what was really going on in their union (let alone actually volunteering or running for office) or at their airline. Instead, they were guided by jumpseat rumors and by jumping to conclusions based on totally or partially wrong information, combined with a total lack of understanding about how things work.

Run for Office? Could be a possibility.
Nah, I doubt it. You strike me as a chronic complainer, not a do-er or a leader.

Is this FAR to be enforced immediately or October 1? It has been a FAR for quite some time though not followed. I'm hearing that it's not until October 1. If so, how could this be? It's like...."Hey your in violation but start observing it next month". That just doesn't seem right.

Is this FAR to be enforced immediately or October 1? It has been a FAR for quite some time though not followed. I'm hearing that it's not until October 1. If so, how could this be? It's like...."Hey your in violation but start observing it next month". That just doesn't seem right.
From what I have heard the FAA is giving the company a grace period until October 1st because RSV lines for Sept. are already out--obviously, today's the 24th.
I'm now on for 7 days in a row but if you look at RSV lines for October, there are no on duty periods of 7 days or more. All are for 6 days or less.

From what I understand, the company doesn't give a cr@p about RSVs not being able to pick up ETB time to be able to pay their mortgages...they will just never restrict the bid sheet and allow TWOP every day in order for the B/H to drop to fly what amount of hours they want. The company feels they have enough RSVs to cover as most RSVs are not breaking guarantee or even coming close to 90 hours. RSV's will be DHing all over the place for no credit/half pay and covering this FAR.

I have to ask what company allows their RSVs to float the airline. I thought RSVs are for coverage when BH CAN'T get to work (B/H sick,mechanical,ILG)not for when they don't WANT to work....but that's the way it is here at US.

In addition, a lot of F/As aren't even aware of the ramifications of this FAR.....not enough has been said by AFA. It will be a rude awakening tomorrow evening when the ETB opens and no one can drop/pick up due to legalities that should have been spelled out by our union BEFORE RSV bids closed so people could try to bid accordingly. (There were some blocks that had 6 days off where you could fit a 4 day in there).

I for one though have to say that i am glad that they are making the company abide by the F.A.R. no matter how pi$$ed some people might be. A regulation is a regulation.period.

The LTO sytem needs to go in order to allow the reserves to fly and reach their time.

ALL LTO doesis prevent the reserves from flying too much and getting out of time at 85 hours. LTO holds the rsvs, keeps them on duty once they have flown allowing the next person in least -time order to fly next. So after the first of the month has gone, the rsv who just flew a trip (whether its 1 day, 2-3-4 day, when the f/a ends that trip they go to the bottom of the list and wait till there "time" comes up.

This rsv system concept is to prevent the rsv from exceeding gurantee and reaching their 80-85 hours. The system utilizes ALL the rsvs and keeps them ALL basically at guarantee. The only time the rsvs get above gurantee is "unscheduled DH" and ETB.

I am sure you already know this well.

(How did you get the moderators to delete your "quoted post"?

The LTO sytem needs to go in order to allow the reserves to fly and reach their time.

ALL LTO doesis prevent the reserves from flying too much and getting out of time at 85 hours. LTO holds the rsvs, keeps them on duty once they have flown allowing the next person in least -time order to fly next. So after the first of the month has gone, the rsv who just flew a trip (whether its 1 day, 2-3-4 day, when the f/a ends that trip they go to the bottom of the list and wait till there "time" comes up.

This rsv system concept is to prevent the rsv from exceeding gurantee and reaching their 80-85 hours. The system utilizes ALL the rsvs and keeps them ALL basically at guarantee. The only time the rsvs get above gurantee is "unscheduled DH" and ETB.

I am sure you already know this well.

(How did you get the moderators to delete your "quoted post"?

Deleted it myself.

And yes, I am aware of the hows and whys of the LTO system. We could fill an entire board with debate on that but it wouldn't amount to much.

I hear the complaints, as I heard the complaints about the previous system. And the one before that. Being on reserve just sucks in general I think - and especially at US East, where there are so many senior reserves. Honestly, I don't know of a system that is going to make all the reserves happy, maintain operational integrity, and be cost competitive.

But that's for people who are smarter and make more money than me to determine. :)

I have to ask what company allows their RSVs to float the airline. I thought RSVs are for coverage when BH CAN'T get to work (B/H sick,mechanical,ILG)not for when they don't WANT to work....but that's the way it is here at US.
US East has never used their RSV's as you would expect a RSV tp be utilized. Thery have just been here to fly trips BH's don't want to cover. It has always been that way. The bid shhet creates this. TWOP creates this. Pretty pathetic. It makes a RSV feel as though they were second class people. Inferior, due to the fact someone was hired before you. Good thing job performance doesn't count for much. Pretty much show up and you are a great F/A. We don't ask much of out BH's, not when we have all these RSV's who can make up for them.

From what I have heard the FAA is giving the company a grace period until October 1st
Thanks. I think that is insane. This FAR has been in effect so the company can continue to break it until the 1st. My friend worked a threeday and a 1day. He called and asked to be released on his 6th day. They said, "No and call your supervisor". If they have to follow this rule why is ok to break it until then? TOTAL BULL$H1T. Also, if your deadhead is unscheduled and not in the pairing isn't it 100% pay credit? Let me guess, if you are doing a split it's 50%? I'd figure as much.

It seemed from your postings that you had concluded that AFA is corrupt, in bed with management, and that all the money you pay in dues is being wasted. Perhaps I misunderstood.
Nope. I haven't worked for an airline or a union for a while now. But I used to. And I got sick of people who cry and piss and moan all the time about how terrible their representation was, yet wouldn't lift a finger to do anything about it. They wouldn't even take a moment to learn how things work and what was really going on in their union (let alone actually volunteering or running for office) or at their airline. Instead, they were guided by jumpseat rumors and by jumping to conclusions based on totally or partially wrong information, combined with a total lack of understanding about how things work.
Nah, I doubt it. You strike me as a chronic complainer, not a do-er or a leader.

The problem with these forums is that they are nameless and faceless. That is probably good for you and your buddy Sharktooth. Both of you seem well equipped at attacking others for no apparent reason, yet neither one of you will claim any connection to the union or USAirways management. It appears that some have indicated that Sharktooth is a pilot or at least related to a USAirways F/A. You, one the other hand, claim that you used to work for an airline, which implies you either quit or got fired, but are okay because, as you say, got sick of people who cry and piss and moan..." Yet you continually read and post often about the same people that you criticize and indicate you are glad to be away from! Either you are a sadistic moron or just a plain liar or both.

Now, if you don't mind, rather than making subjective and personal attacks, how about commenting on the issue of how the company and the union knew about this FAR 121.467 quite some time ago and did nothing about it. You accuse me of being, "a cronic complainer, not a do-er or a leader.", which tells me how little you know about me.

It seems funny and looks rather suspicious that the company and the Union are only now addressing this F.A.R. when it was brought to their attention months ago. Why do you think that is? Have you taken the time to read the FAR now that it is out in the open. The Regulation is quite clear on the issue of 24/7. I am 'baffled' how the Company interpreted this FAR and the Union did nothing about it, knowing that reserves were continuously complaining about this very issue. So, which FAR do you want to ignore next? The Safety Demo? How about the cabin walk through prior to arrival. God forbid someone has their seat back not in the full upright position for landing.

Your life, unlike mine and hundreds of other Reserves, may not be affected by the lack of enforcement of this FAR. Personally, I am glad that the FAA has come knocking on USAirways door. If you sat 14 days on duty, you would be glad, too!

I understand that it will have an affect on the use of the ETB. But this is a safety issue. A rest requirement. After being on call everyday for 2 weeks, flying intermittently with often only a 10:15 break in base, I, like many others are fatigued.

This should be an important safety issue for not only the Pilots, but the Flight Attendants as well!

My suggestion to you...If all this annoyed you in the first place, and was the apparent reason for your leaving, perhaps you need a hobby to occupy your time away from all this airline banter.

Good Night !

I just read my crew mail and it seems that some of the issues RE the FAR have been rectified. It looks a lot like the Pilots Scheduling system which would make sense due to the time constraints placed on the Company by the FAA. I am sure that we (RSV's) will still find a way to utilize the ETB for that much needed extra money and now get to enjoy some time off as well. :up:

I just read my crew mail and it seems that some of the issues RE the FAR have been rectified. It looks a lot like the Pilots Scheduling system which would make sense due to the time constraints placed on the Company by the FAA. I am sure that we (RSV's) will still find a way to utilize the ETB for that much needed extra money and now get to enjoy some time off as well. :up:
The sad part about all this, is that if it is better fot the RSV's, we had to do it ourselves, No help from the Union or the company. If it was up to either of them, nothing would have been done. I'm sure they are thinking, if this is good for a RSV, then maybe they need another paycut. God forbid that the life of a RSV should get better.

The sad part about all this, is that if it is better fot the RSV's, we had to do it ourselves, No help from the Union or the company. If it was up to either of them, nothing would have been done. I'm sure they are thinking, if this is good for a RSV, then maybe they need another paycut. God forbid that the life of a RSV should get better.

OK, my friend is on a trip right now and wanted to leave a list with scheduling. Today makes day 4 on duty. They told him that he could only do a two day. Now I am under the impression that this new rule that isn't so new goes into effect on the 1st of October. What a bunch of morons.

OK, my friend is on a trip right now and wanted to leave a list with scheduling. Today makes day 4 on duty. They told him that he could only do a two day. Now I am under the impression that this new rule that isn't so new goes into effect on the 1st of October. What a bunch of morons.

I think your friends block for October may have something to do with it. I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to look back 6 days from Oct. 1.

Latest posts