New Route Application

AOG-N-IT said:
I you noticed the number of idle Acft sitting on the CLT hangar ramp on a given saturday...you would feel confident about freeing up something for a once a week jaunt to BDA at present
If that's the case, it baffles me why they don't do a few Sat only nonstops from the NE to FL and back. They could make at least a little money on these. Lots of people just won't book on US to FL because there are no nonstops. This would be good for cruise traffic and others. And they needn't offer those $138 fares to sell those kind of seats.

getting off topic. i think that expanding to bda is good news. why shoot it down with negativity. what we also need is a mco-sju run.

Very impressed with the expansion we are doing in the BDA market. Big bucks can be made to and from BDA. Lets roll with it! Id love to see a BDL-SJU as well as a EWR-SJU run as well. I think we can compete with CO out of EWR on that one. The NY/NJ -Puerto Rico market is huge.

etops1 said:
getting off topic. i think that expanding to bda is good news. why shoot it down with negativity. what we also need is a mco-sju run.
Not be be negative, but....all these extra destinations are great, if there's an airline to support them. While US has added appealing destinations, it has at the same time been whittling away at the viability of the core network. They need to figure out how to do the basics well, and then build on that. It's distressing that little attention seems to be given to retaining good customers, in comparison to skimming the cream off the market by flying to a few higher-yield destinations. Apparently US lost more customers in 2003 than any other major.

Perhaps others have seen this info:
Northwest posted a 1.5% decrease in passengers carried (51,865,303)
Delta posted a 2.4% decrease in passengers carried (104,451,644)
United posted a 3.7% decrease in passengers carried (66,018,000)
American posted a 5.6% decrease in passengers carried (88,796,053)
US Airways posted a whopping 12.5% decrease in passengers carried
(41,250,548)

All this talk about the company violating the 279 min fleet in the ALPA contract should be explained to the group.
IMO, the company is NOT in violation of this important clause in the ALPA agreement. The 279 number is a minumum number that INCLUDES aircraft in MTC and spares. There is a "fudge" factor that basically allowes the company to fly less than the 279 on an ongoing basis.

Anyone with better information can chime in anytime here. Of course, on our present track with the company parking out of time busses, of course we might see a violation at some point.

I agree, BDA is a great market. When I was with U, we flew the B-727's there. Great yields and loads. The problem I see with U is that they never flew "bigger" equipment there that could handle the freight which is just pure profit. Most everything perishable that is not on the island is flown in. DAL used to fly their widebodies there just to handle the freight.

Frats,

Mike

The company is in violation of the 279, as of the 29th of january they will be down to 272.

701, 702, 703 are at GYR they cannot fly and they are not spares and they are not in mtc. Same goes for 706 which is in CLT, same goes for 350 which in in PIT and there is a 757 parked in CLT also and they just returned 428US to the lessor and 101 and 707 die on the 29th.

Do the math.

ITRADE said:
US has applied for seasonal service (Saturday only) from Orlando to Bermuda.

They have asked that a dormant slot from ORD-BDA, DTW-BDA or MIA-BDA be reassigned to a gateway for MCO-BDA.

US will, by far, have the #1 quantity of service from the U.S. to BDA this summer.
ITRADE this is a smart move. Orlando has the largest Bermudian population in the U.S. Many Bermudian retirees move to the states because it's simply too expensive to live on the island after retirement. Over here they live quite well and in affluent neighborhoods.

When US first flew PHL-BDA back in like 90 it was flown with a 767 as they pulled it off the TPA-CLT-(LGW) route.

EyeInTheSky said:
ITRADE said:
US has applied for seasonal service (Saturday only) from Orlando to Bermuda.

They have asked that a dormant slot from ORD-BDA, DTW-BDA or MIA-BDA be reassigned to a gateway for MCO-BDA.

US will, by far, have the #1 quantity of service from the U.S. to BDA this summer.
ITRADE this is a smart move. Orlando has the largest Bermudian population in the U.S. Many Bermudian retirees move to the states because it's simply too expensive to live on the island after retirement. Over here they live quite well and in affluent neighborhoods.
Thanks for the insight on the history on that area.

The beauty of these routes (the FLL and MCO) ones is that you can have a lot more flexibility in terms of when aircraft land and then arrive. Flights from PHL don't simply turn around and go back to PHL. The inbound flight from FLL can be the outbound PHL flight and an inbound CLT flight can be the outbound MCO flight.

So, everything doesn't have to arrive and depart at precisely the same time. This makes the ground support force more efficient and conserves on fixed equipment (i.e., tugs, counters, etc.).

700UW said:
When US first flew PHL-BDA back in like 90 it was flown with a 767 as they pulled it off the TPA-CLT-(LGW) route.
I think either last summer or 2002, they did have a 767 running from PHL to BDA. I was going to do an e-saver to BDA just to take the 767 for a mileage run, but time conflicts prevented it.

700UW-

Its not about math. Its contractual. They (and I don't know the percentage) are allowed to have so many of the 279 in MTC. Of course a case could be made that the birds at GYR are not in MTC or spares, that is not up to me.

Boomer

Latest posts