No pets were lost on US Airways flight in Hudson!

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
The miracle US Airways flight that went into the Hudson River has another feel-good story: The airline says no pets were lost on the flight.

US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant says no pets were on the plane, either in the cabin or in the cargo. The airline does not accept pets in the cargo.

That is really glad to hear. I would die trying to save my dogs, and most dog owners would probably do the same. It's good that there were no pets aboard to complicate an already complicated event.

I was watching CNN while it was happening and they had people emailing in questions. Someone asked about pets on the plane. I wanted to email back we dont do pets underneath and if that woman can take her carryon bag, I'm sure someone with a pet wasnt going to leave it behind either. ;)
Glad to hear no pets were involved.

I was watching CNN while it was happening and they had people emailing in questions. Someone asked about pets on the plane. I wanted to email back we dont do pets underneath and if that woman can take her carryon bag, I'm sure someone with a pet wasnt going to leave it behind either. ;)
Glad to hear no pets were involved.
I've always wondered what the policy in emergencies and evacuations were regarding cabin pets as I have never seen anything in US SOPs covering this. I've always assumed that when pax are instructed to "leave everything behind" in an evacuation that would also, sadly, include any cabin pets. Am I wrong to assume this is correct? Does US have any policy, formal or otherwise, covering cabin pets during an emergency evacuation?

I guess the question for the experts would be: Would removing a cabin pet impede the evacuation efforts? Isn't a cabin pet a "ticketed passenger" of sorts?

I don't know....as a former poochie mama of two dearly departed Chihuahuas, I would sooner remain on the aircraft while everyone else evacuates than leave my dog behind. It's cruel an inhuman, and I really hope that the regulations allow for the humane treatment of cabin pets.

Although pets aren't transported in the cargo bins at US, there is signage in them that indicates if live animals are OK or not. Certain animals can be transported as cargo; I've personally loaded/unloaded exotic birds, worms, crickets, and lots and lots of tropical fish...

I seem to remember an incident back a few years ago, regarding a rather large pot bellied pig being allowed on board- pass cabin- of a US metal ship.....PHL as i recall....and as it was a seeing eye pig, given free run of the cabin.

The signs in the bins are actually for USPS shipments, I believe of birds. Personally I'm appalled that US hasn't started accepting animals as cargo. There's HUGE money to be made there.

Back