Non-refundable really meaning non refundable!!

This is so incredibly stupid. AirTran, JetBlue and SW are far more customer friendly and getting relatively friendlier. I had thought that U was going to "make it" after they get their concessions, but with this one plan, I now have my doubts. Mgmt had two choices, lure passengers back with improved service or stick it to passengers with another money grab.

Dear Ben Baldanza,

Please explain to me why a frequent flyer who flies 100,000 miles a year with 60% of their flying being on business fares (M or higher) and 40% of their flying for personal travel (below M fare) would choose US Airways???

The incentive to book the business travel on US Airways (even when requiring a connection) is now gone!

Dumb move. I repeat, dumb move!

Even though I've already requalified for US2 (and will probably hit US1 by mid-Oct) you can bet your bottom dollar I will NOT be renewing my US Airways Club membership next January when it expires. And once I've burned my stash of FF miles I'll be off to AA as soon as the calender rolls to 2003.

I will not tell you how many thousands of dollars I spend on US Airways each year. With this one move (not allowing all paid fares for Preferred staus qualification) I can ASSURE you that in 2003, ALL of that revenue will go to another airline.

[:blackeye:] [:(]

If other carriers match the policy, it will turn out to have been even more foolish. A level playing field does not favor USAirways. Outside of captive hub flyers, when given a choice, with no difference in amenities, US will not be the carrier of choice in most instances. That evidence already exists.

----------------
On 8/27/2002 12:57:32 PM

I personally don't agree with this new policy, but it just opens the door for every airline to make similiar changes....then there will be no reason to fly OA.
----------------

Right, but the thing about use-or-lose in respect to illnesses or emergencies is pure, unadulterated bull#%##$.

I'll bet you that Southwest and JetBlue don't follow this and folks will be more than willing to go a different route.

And as DLflyer mentioned, the loyalty stick will be gone.

I can fly to SAN or LGW non-stop from IAD if I wanted (on UA). However, due to US's FF program I am willing to connect in PIT to SAN and PHL to LGW. Would I do that absent the program? Nope.

I would encourage all US employees to suggest that management revisit this decision. There does not appear to be any revenue upside, only a decrease in income from the best customers who will be leaving. ATSB might even look at this move as a material change from the existing application.

Previous threads on this Board will all be moot if there are significantly fewer customers calling, flying or requiring the services of any US employee.

In the past, I have been loyal (2 US2's and a US 3 in our household) even though we have to fly exclusively through hubs requiring more time and money. Losing the preferred check-in line and a chance for an upgrade will make the decision to change carriers, whether another traditional or a low-cost airline much easier.

----------------
On 8/27/2002 12:57:32 PM

I personally don't agree with this new policy, but it just opens the door for every airline to make similiar changes....then there will be no reason to fly OA.
----------------

Like when CO tried to crank up leisure fares, and the market barfed on it 2 or 3 times since 9/11?

Like when US tried to raise business fares and the OAs said no?

AA already has a system like this, to a point: Q-points. While you can qualify for all AAs elite levels on straight status miles, one can qualify more quickly on Q-points (5. point/mile in discount Y, one point/mile in Y, 1.5 in F).

And, just to do a bit of math, let's take me (lowley US2):

I've spent in excess of $5.5k with US on discounted V/K fares this year alone. That, they will keep (until my current earned status runs out). Assuming a 2 segment roundtrip (hub flyer), that's around $366/rt (15 trips)

I've spent in excess of $7.5k on business (Y/B/A4) segments this year. Again, assuming a 2 segment roundtrip, it works out to around $938/rt (8 trips). This business is already being rebooked with AA even as we speak.

I have made it a point with whomever I spoke with in Res at US, and at AA and by writing letters to both airline's CS and FF desks to point out exactly why I'm doing this. If the rest of the airlines smell the stink from their pax, they won't follow US' lead on this.

Lots of VFFs stuck with US even when it involved a connection or a couple or more bucks, primarily (IMHO) due to the superior customer service and attitude. That, my friends, has just been torpedoed.

From the US web page:

--------

Effective January 1, 2003, Dividend Miles members will not receive miles or segment credit toward Preferred status for tickets purchased in H, K, V, Q and L nonrefundable fare classes.

--------

Now, does that mean that a cheap ticket earns no mileage at all...or just that the mileage does not count toward preferred status?????

-V- fares I can understand. Tour/Consolidator/Bulk Fares, too. Not sure what an 'L' fare is since I don't see it on my display.

The 'poof, your money's gone'. I don't buy it.
Charge a change fee, even on origination.

No standby? How about a $50.00 standby fee,
and the usual $100.00 to be confirmed.

We have fees for everything else.

--

Dino ATO

US Airways has always been a follower rather that an leader in respect to policy changes....now the tables have turned....History repeats itself - either the other big guys will follow suit(after all, if we can do it why cant they!), or they will use our new policy against us to try to win over customers.....
My gut feeling is........For once, we have been the first on the block to initiate a new policy, and the other guys WILL follow....

My oh my!!!..from staunch, unwielding to defy, company supporting kiss butts ...to "BYE BYE Im going on Southwest" in the span of just 24hours..hmmm used to be like this 12 yrs ago...Deregulation?/competition?/ Insanely Low fares equivalent to what Grampa used to pay in the 50s??/You asked for it,,,you got it!..(Sorry, Toyota.}

I cannot wait for the others to match.Its a brand new world! 8-27-02..a day that might just change all airlines forever.(altho CO and DL supposedly made some drastic changes last week that I missed out on)

My gut feeling is........For once, we have been the first on the block to initiate a new policy, and the other guys WILL follow.

I disagree. American and United both want passengers. American and United both need passengers. If giving someone the ability to get "premier" status quicker than on U, then I think they'll do everything in their power to insure that they can capture some new passengers. Just look at the responses in this thread even with no other "bait" to lure them over. A couple of well placed "double mile" offers by the competition could clear the U terminals of all but the most devoted customers.

----------------
Now, does that mean that a cheap ticket earns no mileage at all...or just that the mileage does not count toward preferred status?????
----------------

The only fare basis that doesn't earn miles (besides -Z- and -D-) is -W- (Priceline, some Expedia). All others earn miles. The fares purchased in H, K, V, Q and the mysterious L, do not get status miles.

--

Dino ATO

Does it really matter? The press release is rather ambiguous about the mileage, but the bottom line is this - if YOU travel a lot for your company, and your company is trying to save a few bucks on air travel, so your flights will not qualify you for any "premier" status, then why not book the other airlines who will give you the miles AND the perks that come with a premier level? In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see AA or UAL offer double mileage credits on selected routes.

just about every MAJOR, if not every MAJOR, matched the senior discount elimination within 2 weeks, no reason to think they wont match other brainstorms eminating from CCY. Eliminating free standby(SW doesn't allow it) will even moreso lessen the need for manpower and time at the gates and tkt counters. Nullifying old non ref tkts that are not rebooked before departure and or return date will also shrink the need for rebooking via phone or internet.The writing is on the wall.Everyone loses.

I cannot wait for the others to match.Its a brand new world! 8-27-02..a day that might just change all airlines forever.(altho CO and DL supposedly made some drastic changes last week that I missed out on)

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting...

Latest posts