Non-rev policy change

AirwAr

Senior
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
AA's changing it's non-rev dress code:

1. Jeans & tennis shoes allowed in premium class
  2. shorts allowed in coach

This is pretty nice.  I assume this is an alignment with US non-rev policy?  Any other niceties we should expect? 

US Airways NR Policy
   1. first/business  is Business attire no jeans or tennis shoes allowed

I've been flying US for a while since the merge was announced and I couldn't believe seeing a dude in flip flops and a ragged out T getting on in coach..... WTH... haha!

I do like the jeans in first..

I heard they hand out seats by seniority but not sure..

Jager said:
I heard they hand out seats by seniority but not sure..

Yup...that was hashed out in another thread.  Basically, AA employees prefer the first come first served method and US employees prefer date of hire.

Hopefully the agents will police the dress policy well enough that employees won't abuse the system and try to where flip flops and ragged T's.  :)

AirwAr said:

Yup...that was hashed out in another thread.  Basically, AA employees prefer the first come first served method and US employees prefer date of hire.

Hopefully the agents will police the dress policy well enough that employees won't abuse the system and try to where flip flops and ragged T's.   :)
Not all of us. Only the ones with 25 years plus....AA system is better all around. I have been with US Airways for two years and I will not use their non rev passes. I still use my wife's she works for AA. Jetnet is light years ahead of what we use at US. I hope that website will remain after the merger. 

US is Date of Hire. Seniority is the only thing we have.  Why should a senior employee not get a seat over a 2 month employee because the 2 month employee  checked in 2 minutes earlier? It's called paying your dues and putting in the time. A small reward but a reward none the same. As for the dress code , we do now allow jeans in FC as long as they are neat and not worn with holes etc.I still prefer at least a business casual for FC. I still have a hard time with shorts and flip flops though.

Reactions: 2 people
crusher said:
US is Date of Hire. Seniority is the only thing we have.  Why should a senior employee not get a seat over a 2 month employee because the 2 month employee  checked in 2 minutes earlier? It's called paying your dues and putting in the time. A small reward but a reward none the same. As for the dress code , we do now allow jeans in FC as long as they are neat and not worn with holes etc.I still prefer at least a business casual for FC. I still have a hard time with shorts and flip flops though.
his is one reason I hope the merger does not go thru.....

Reactions: 1 person
AA outnumbers US employees almost 2 to 1 . Which way do you think it would really go? But don't you think that the company sort of "owes" something to the employees who have carried them for years whether it be AA or US?  Using our seniority is that little bit of payback. . US also charges employees to upgrade to FC $20.00 domestic/cariibbean and $100 Trans Atlantic on Hawaii.

The only thing the company "owes" any of us is a paycheck for hours worked.  The IRS made it clear years ago that travel benefits, whether for an airline, a railroad, or  bus company are a granted benefit, not an earned benefit.  It's one of the main reason there is an imputed tax associated with travel benefits.  No airline is required by any law to provide me with even discounted travel, much less free travel.  I can say there are all kinds of things that I am "owed" because of the givebacks and paycuts (including a 17-month furlough) I have taken since 9/11.  (Don't forget those of us at AA took some very hefty pay and benefit cuts back in 2003 to keep the company out of bankruptcy, and then ended up there anyway with even further cuts, because the company spent the money on unprofitable glamor routes and executive bonuses.)

All that being said, since the 13th Amendment to the Constitution has not been repealed there is nothing forcing me to stay at AA.   If I decide that AA is not rewarding me commensurate with my abilities, I can always leave for greener pastures.

crusher said:
Try again, with the system at AA at least when you check in you know where you are on the list. You don't have to sit there and worry if the airplane is full but also if someone can walk up at the last minute and tell you I have more seniority too bad. I have over 25 years with AA, I have traveled under both systems and AA is much easier.  When I am in the boarding area, I don't care what the seniority of the person who is getting on ahead of me or behind me.

Reactions: 4 people
It will go which ever way mgmt wants it to go , so none of us have much say into the final decision. As we say It is what it is. We each have our own experience with ours and other ways and each is comfortable with our own system and wary of another that is just human nature. I have 25 yrs w/US and have taken pay cuts , displacement transfers , reductions in benefits etc as most have over that last 15 or more years. Did we like it  , I think not. Whatever the decision is we will live with it because in this business change is inevitable.

crusher said:
When I worked at United we had seniority non rev. I would sit at Denver for days while the janitors kids would walk up and take the last seats. What we have at American is fair and I have 24 years seniority now.

Reactions: 1 person
I worked at TWA for 33 years where seniority was king. American for seven. I've lived under both systems, and frankly, I prefer American's system. With TWA, it seemed the gate agents pretty much controlled who got on. With American it's almost imposable for anyone to game the system. It's fair for everyone, it's simple, and most important, it works!

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts