Non-Rev Upgrade Charges

spitfire

May 29, 2016
The other day I was catching a nearly full flight on which I was listed in coach (Y), but after processing all of the oversales (OS) and upgrades, the only seats remaining were in first class. The agent then cleared all of the standbys into first class. After getting the seat assignment Sabre showed all of the non-revs cleared into the X cabin and I assumed that I wouldn't be charged for clearing into first class since I didn't list for it. I checked today and it turns out I was charged what the normal NRSA charge is for listing in first class on that particular flight. Is this standard procedure for when there is a circumstance with only F cabin seats available? Just curious even though premium upgrade charges are being eliminated in a few days.

Reactions: 1 person
You flew 1st class and bitching about what? $100?
Lucky policy doesn't dictate that if you didn't list for it, you don't fly it.
That would take care of that. Of course you would still be at the terminal for awhile... :p
B)

Reactions: 9 people
xUT said:
You flew 1st class and bitching about what? $100?
Lucky policy doesn't dictate that if you didn't list for it, you don't fly it.
That would take care of that. Of course you would still be at the terminal for awhile... :p
B)

Not at all, I don't mind the price for the type of seat I was in, but for the other crew members who were clearly just trying to get home and had to pay that fee, it seemed like they could maybe have just upgraded a few more revenue passengers. Also in 3 days that would no longer happen anyways.

Reactions: 2 people
spitfire said:
The other day I was catching a nearly full flight on which I was listed in coach (Y), but after processing all of the oversales (OS) and upgrades, the only seats remaining were in first class. The agent then cleared all of the standbys into first class. After getting the seat assignment Sabre showed all of the non-revs cleared into the X cabin and I assumed that I wouldn't be charged for clearing into first class since I didn't list for it. I checked today and it turns out I was charged what the normal NRSA charge is for listing in first class on that particular flight. Is this standard procedure for when there is a circumstance with only F cabin seats available? Just curious even though premium upgrade charges are being eliminated in a few days.
To answer your question, yes, that is normal procedure. That is why if you really need to be somewhere, always dress appropriate for first, it may be all that's available. If you're not dressed appropriately, you get left behind.

AANOTOK said:
To answer your question, yes, that is normal procedure. That is why if you really need to be somewhere, always dress appropriate for first, it may be all that's available. If you're not dressed appropriately, you get left behind.

Thank you! I sincerely was just unsure on the procedure, not trying to complain or seem snobby. I just joined this forum and was hoping to get a better feel about how the whole system works.

Reactions: 2 people
spitfire said:
Not at all, I don't mind the price for the type of seat I was in, but for the other crew members who were clearly just trying to get home and had to pay that fee, it seemed like they could maybe have just upgraded a few more revenue passengers. Also in 3 days that would no longer happen anyways.
most non revs me included like getting first . And you want them to upgrade more revenue so non revs have to sit in the back.

I think Spitfire was wondering if maybe there was an option (i.e.,"I can't afford even NRSA charges right now, could you please upgrade a revenue passenger and I'll take that seat in coach?" kind of thing.)  When I was commuting to STL it happened to me more than once, and xUT I could not afford at that time to pay F/C charges if I didn't have to.  Every charge meant something else had to go from the budget.  And no, Spitfire, there is no option.  Well, there is, but most agents are too rushed and harried to do the passenger upgrade.  By this point, they just want to get the door closed and the flight on its way.

By the way Spitfire, if you are new to AA, get used to the fact that everything like this is done by the book.  If you were to fly at 10pm tomorrow night on a 4 hour flight and were assigned a F/C seat, you would be charged for that F/C seat assignment even though the charge goes away while you are in the air.  It's departure time, not arrival time that determines the rule.   :lol: