Non-rev policy change

crusher said:
US is Date of Hire. Seniority is the only thing we have.  Why should a senior employee not get a seat over a 2 month employee because the 2 month employee  checked in 2 minutes earlier? It's called paying your dues and putting in the time. A small reward but a reward none the same. As for the dress code , we do now allow jeans in FC as long as they are neat and not worn with holes etc.I still prefer at least a business casual for FC. I still have a hard time with shorts and flip flops though.
This is why I still will only use AA to non rev. Non rev Privileges should be enjoyed by all not just the 25 year people. US Airways people think its a given right. 
The US system is horrible. To get first you need to buy a first class upgrade. buddy pass payments are due up front. Don't make the flight you apply for a refund. STUPID!
The AA system will survive.

Reactions: 3 people
 I also like the fact that I can view the non rev list on my phone with jetnet and check them off the list as they are called... Knowing if I'm on or not.... Seniority is fine for shift bids and vacation bids, but not for seats...

Reactions: 3 people
Not a given right but just the way that we have done it. It is what we have gotten used to . Not right or wrong just our way as you have yours. There are pros and cons of both systems. We can also see the stby list on our phones etc ( albeit a new addition) There are oals that use either one way or the other. Should the merger go through , whatever system is used will be whatever the corporate types decide and we will all make the best of it no matter which way it goes. Whichever way it goes ,I will be glad to have sabre again , qik/shares is garbage.

Ours works as well. Every airline's system works for THEM. It is for the benefit of it's own employees not anyone else's. Also seniority driven  is written into our union contracts.

crusher said:
Ours works as well. Every airline's system works for THEM. It is for the benefit of it's own employees not anyone else's. Also seniority driven  is written into our union contracts.
I don't know about your contract, but last time I heard, at AA, flight privileges were non contractual!

Reactions: 1 person
crusher said:
Not for non-rev pass travel. That is a non-contractual benefit the airlines can modify, rescind, suspend at any time and employee and their collective bargaining agents have no recourse.

Josh

US non-rev travel is free, and it is not imputed income on the W-2, only is if you have a registered companion.

No US employees pays extra tax for non-rev travel for them, their spouse or kids.

737823 said:
Not for non-rev pass travel. That is a non-contractual benefit the airlines can modify, rescind, suspend at any time and employee and their collective bargaining agents have no recourse.

Josh
Wrong again, non-rev travel is in the CBAs of the IAM and the AFA, at US and yes you can file a grievance if you are disciplined for your non-rev travel or anyone on your term pass.

Why are you posting more misinformation?

We had a utility person get fired for selling buddy passes, the IAM grieved it and won the employee her job back with back pay.  And there are numerous other incidents that I can post to show you that you are wrong.

So once again you are wrong.

From the IAM M&R CBA:

ARTICLE 13.
2 TRANSPORTATION
4 (A) Employees and their immediate family will be granted the same
5 transportation privileges on the Company's system as may be established by
6 Company regulations for all personnel.
8 ( B) The Company will provide Space Positive Travel to Company
9 employees and retirees on permanent full-time Union business as follows:
11 The Company will authorize reasonable space positive travel (on a
12 self-book basis) for up to five (5) union officials, providing that:
14 Such officials are employees or retirees of the Company,
16 Are on full time Union Leave, and
18 Where the majority of their Union duties are related to the
19 Company.
21 Such Space Positive travel is only authorized where the purpose of
22 the travel is all or substantially all related the Company. Space Positive
23 travel is not authorized for commuting, or any Union business including but
24 not limited to training and union conventions. Officials authorized Space
25 Positive travel will be required to complete a monthly summary (no later
26 than ten (10) days from the close of the previous business month) detailing
27 all Space Positive travel in the applicable month.
29 (C) Employees laid off and not having sufficient seniority to entitle
30 them to a job at some other point on the system, and who desire to seek
31 employment elsewhere will, upon application within one hundred twenty
32 (120) days from the date of their lay-off be granted one (1) free space
33 available pass on the Company's system.

Employees involuntarily furloughed on or after September 1, 2001,
36 will receive on-line non-revenue travel privileges for themselves and
37 eligible family members while on furlough for a period not to exceed three
38 (3) years following their last day of active service.
40 (D) Free and reduced rate on-line transportation will be provided in
41 accordance with Company Policy.

700 needs to learn how to actually read a contract, as opposed to just cutting & pasting...

"(A) Employees and their immediate family will be granted the same transportation privileges on the Company's system as may be established by Company regulations for all personnel.
I'm not a member of the bar, but it's a pretty worthless clause -- it's essentially saying that the company's policy for all personnel will apply to those covered by the contract...

Duh. If they're already covered by the company's policy, what additional purpose does this really serve?...

It's about as useful as having a clause which reads "daylight shall shine on IAM headquarters as may be established by the rising and setting of the sun"...

About the only thing I can think of is that the company can't selectively deny travel to those under this particular contract.

Wow, as if they'd really try that?...

-----------------------------

As for the policy change, it's about time. An OCD dress code drives work for the agents (so does trying to do boarding by seniority, since it limits the timeframe in which BP's can be handed out).

This also opens the door for more boarding passes at the kiosk, since there's less chance of a dress code violation. The whole idea of the policy in the first place was to look good but also blend in with paying customers.

Unfortunately, AA's policy always seems to be lag by ~10 years on what passengers wear...

When I helped rewrote the policy back in 1995 to be "neat and clean" in coach, I'd lobbied for jeans in First, and shorts in the Caribbean & Hawaii, but that got shot down pretty quickly by the guys in HR. Crandall would have nothing of it. He only wore suits, even on dress down days when others on the Sixth Floor were wearing Dockers...

Today? Bob's been spotted wearing jeans.

We've come a long way from wearing jackets  and ties and skirts for the women. Remember being warned to non rev keeping a low profile while traveling and not to discuss our non rev privilges with anyone? All that while dressed to kill going to a 90 degree climate Caribbean island. 

Guess you need to comprehend the word MAYBE:

(A) Employees and their immediate family will be granted the same transportation privileges on the Company's system as may be established by Company regulations for all personnel.

One clause I think is a bit hypocritical is no "jump suits or running suits in first class. But you can change into them while the flight is under way. 

I remember flying to Hawaii under the "Crandall Error" (pun intended) in a suit and tie while it looked like flower fest on every shirt in FC.. Then  had an FA tell me to change back into my suit and tie from a coordinated running suit 2 hours out or she will write me up...

It seems you could always tell the non revs, in first, by those who were over dressed! But, I don't see that policy to change in the near term.

eolesen said:
As for the policy change, it's about time. An OCD dress code drives work for the agents (so does trying to do boarding by seniority, since it limits the timeframe in which BP's can be handed out).
E, one would think that the agents would want to get all boarding passes distributed before boarding even begins.  However, on my last non-rev trip, I was listed for F/C to/from BHM.  (I just happen to like the extra room in F/C regardless of the length of the flight; so, I'm willing to pay something for it.)  The agent at DFW would not even discuss issuing my boarding pass until after boarding had begun.  (There were 3 Revenue passengers in F/C, no upgrade requests, and 2 other non-revs beside me for 16 seats.)  When another agent arrived to assist with boarding, I asked him if there was an exit row seat available.  He immediately issued me the requested exit row, aisle seat.

Had a very similar experience at BHM on return; once again sat in exit row for free instead of paying the taxes and fees to sit in F/C.

Latest posts