Non-rev Travel

The drive from MIA to EYW took nearly 3.5 hrs due to construction. It is a mostly two-lane roads, so if there is an accident on the way down or back, you're going to be waiting a bit. Not to mention the couple of draw-bridges. The times I flew down to EYW or out of EYW were not so bad on the RJ. However, in the tiny terminal, USXpress does have signs on the walls asking for "volunteers" due to weather. I still got on. I think they have it posted all the time during summer.

Have not made it to Europe yet. Waiting on my wife to get her passport re-newed. Argh! Been waiting on her for months to do it. Where in Europe would be a nice place to go to for first-timers? Rome, Venice, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris or Amsterdam?

Anyone heard anymore details on phase II flying???
LGW and CDG are good first-time destinations, and you don't have to rent a car. They both have terrific public transportation right through to the airport. FRA is great if you are planning on renting a car. It is very close to the Rhine river, and to the romantic road via Wurtzburg. Not a lot of sightseeing in FRA since we flattened it in WW2.
I've stayed in a couple of nice 2-star(100 bucks or less for a double) on the left bank near the Odeon. One was called 'Gran Hotel des Balcons', not bad.
Good luck and have fun.

P.S. Take the 330 if you can out of PHL.

Paris is very nice, and believe it or not, the French are ok, too. 'Plaise' and 'merci' go a long ways.

Not hard to get around, and the Louve, Musee D'Orsay and Versailles is worth the trip.

Plus, of course, the Bastille! :lol: :lol:

And the food?

Bon appetite'!

If you go to the islands, SJU is probably easier than most because once the season starts, frequency increases ALOT and seasonal cities are in full force...LGA, BOS, DCA (are these now year round?)

As far as Europe, wow. so many choices. I LOVE Madrid and Paris is, well Paris. I say if you have a flexible schedule, go for Rome. If you want to fly to London or Frankfurt, I would fly out of CLT for a few reasons. CLT only has 2 flights a day to Europe, so customs on the return is not too stressful. Sorry guys, but PHL is TOOO ghetto and just weird. Charlotta is much more professional in my opinion and pretty laid back. Also, it has been my experince that when the crap hit the fan and customers are rebooked for whatever reason from their other TA flights, LGW and FRA get the spillover.

The only pitfall with CLT is that the f/a's...well, I'll just say many of them need to take a break from their cultish little transatlantic club...but most are ok..just a little hokey.

Having said that, if you go to London and are really nice to the f/a's, maybe they will offer you their Gatwick Express tickets into London (only 25 minute ride). That will save you ALOT!! The Gatwick Hilton offers a US discount...not sure what it is.

All in all, warm weather is seasonal and difficult, ski destinations are the same.

My recommendation for the US West folk? Experience NYC during the holidays. Between nonstops from phx to ewr and jfk and the connections available, you can get there. Manhattan is majical during the holidays

If you go to the islands, SJU is probably easier than most because once the season starts, frequency increases ALOT and seasonal cities are in full force...LGA, BOS, DCA (are these now year round?)

As far as Europe, wow. so many choices. I LOVE Madrid and Paris is, well Paris. I say if you have a flexible schedule, go for Rome. If you want to fly to London or Frankfurt, I would fly out of CLT for a few reasons. CLT only has 2 flights a day to Europe, so customs on the return is not too stressful. Sorry guys, but PHL is TOOO ghetto and just weird. Charlotta is much more professional in my opinion and pretty laid back. Also, it has been my experince that when the crap hit the fan and customers are rebooked for whatever reason from their other TA flights, LGW and FRA get the spillover.

The only pitfall with CLT is that the f/a's...well, I'll just say many of them need to take a break from their cultish little transatlantic club...but most are ok..just a little hokey.

Having said that, if you go to London and are really nice to the f/a's, maybe they will offer you their Gatwick Express tickets into London (only 25 minute ride). That will save you ALOT!! The Gatwick Hilton offers a US discount...not sure what it is.

All in all, warm weather is seasonal and difficult, ski destinations are the same.

My recommendation for the US West folk? Experience NYC during the holidays. Between nonstops from phx to ewr and jfk and the connections available, you can get there. Manhattan is majical during the holidays

Thanks for the information on flying into and out of CLT, thats the type of information thats helpful. I've traveled Europe extensively, the only stress has been using other carriers and not having access to passenger load information or jumpseat access. To be honest...i never once considered taking US Airways over the Europe, just didn't think of it...but now.....i'm all for it.

The CRJ is always resticted coming out due to the runway....47 is the most i have ever been able to take.

Thai just started non stop to Bangkok from JFK. $150 round trip with ZED tickets and its been wide open both times I did it.....If you want something more exotic.

For those legacy US Airways employees...if you wanted to non-rev to Europe, typically which city give the best chances of getting on? CLT or PHL? Are there some markets that ALWAYS seem to have available seats? What time of the year do you recommend trying to travel and to where? Any great deals that you're aware of in the Caribbean? Easy place to non-rev?

Mention any city we should definitely stay away from that you know of. HP employees can currently check actual PBT's on the company website and I hear thats coming to US Airways...if you don't already have it.....it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Looking forward to sharing of information.
I agree with the person that said forget FCO. That flight is almost ALWAYS full. Europe is tough is the summer generally.
Carib in summer is best and Europe in the winter. LOL. Yes, we can check loads online too.

I agree with the person that said forget FCO. That flight is almost ALWAYS full. Europe is tough is the summer generally.
Carib in summer is best and Europe in the winter. LOL. Yes, we can check loads online too.

D328: Is Thai Airways' new route from JFK to Bangkok still considered to be the world's longest route? How is their service and food? Bangkok itself?

I have asked this question before but got conflicting information...if anyone knows, could you clarify? Under this new travel agreement between both airlines, there are two phases. I understand the first. (really only change in dress code and ID-100 tickets on AWA) Does AWA allow furloughee's, leave of absence, etc; travel on other airlines? (ID-XXXX) US doesn't...at least yet. Any news if this will be changed under phase II?

How about non-rev'ing to CHC or SYD? Anyone done either?

The CRJ is always resticted coming out due to the runway....47 is the most i have ever been able to take.

Thai just started non stop to Bangkok from JFK. $150 round trip with ZED tickets and its been wide open both times I did it.....If you want something more exotic.

Well I wouldn't say always.....think one of thte eyw people wander around the board, they could confirm what the max loads usually taken out are...

Yes, its a beautiful drive, I've done it twice, but it would be cheaper to fly as opposed to renting a car ;)

It is a great ride, but if you are a little thinning on top like me, all right maybe a lot thinning, wear a hat if your in a convertible....I had sheets of skin falling off my dome 2 days later...But what a great vacation spot..loads of fun!!

I non rev to down there all the time and SYD and CHC are easy. CHC best to go thru AKL rather than an Australian airport.

Until they get the employee websites integrated, give me a yell, I'll check the loads for you. theHub does a pretty good job at giving the "Space A" numbers.

Having said that... not everyone all at once...please...

PHL is a Bi@*h to get out of on "the pond" routes...
CLT is a bit easier, but the LGW flight makes my blood pressure go up every time... I hate the wait... but I understand...

This is great info!!! I have to say, the more I read this site, the more I have to question why Philly grew to the size that it did, there has been so much criticism of that place!! Even for a non-rev trip! Never the less...i'll forget about FCO for now. Is Venice only seasonal service? How best to get there? Do I dare say from Philly? I hear ireland has gotten expensive the past couple of years? Any thoughts on that?

Just looked at flights to EYW in Nov......they are all capped at 61 pax. Sounds like even the E70 will be weight restricted.

This is great info!!! I have to say, the more I read this site, the more I have to question why Philly grew to the size that it did, there has been so much criticism of that place!! Even for a non-rev trip! Never the less...i'll forget about FCO for now. Is Venice only seasonal service? How best to get there? Do I dare say from Philly? I hear ireland has gotten expensive the past couple of years? Any thoughts on that?

Don't forget tthe ZED fairs. Once you get to Europe, you're pretty much there. You can use zed fares or id 90's. Also, don't forget Europe has it fair share of discount carriers such as EasyJet, so intraEurope flying can sometimes be cheap. AND, if you were to fly Luftansa and you are a f/a, you can ride their f/a jumpseat if full.

One more thing, trains, trains, trains.

PHL is a huge money maker. It is in the top ten population-wise and has only one airport...unlike NYC, DC, Miami, and LA. I feel PHL should be the focus city and PIT should be reinstated as a hub. I have a hard time believing there are THAT many folks going to all those tiny cities that it warrents all the traffic and delays.
Philly needs leaders who can lead and who are consistant....a strong leader who gets things done and gets the materials needed and who expects the best. The workers there are tough, but just want respect and a TRUE manager, not a backstabbing, inconsistant management suck- up BOOB. ;)

Amen (1st amendment)!

Clt my choice to travel from... 1. much more reliable than phl on time and 2. If you are left behind the hotels are way cheaper.

Can f/a's jumpseat? Are pilots restricted to the jumpseat?
What is the log in number for awacompass.

Latest posts