Non-Rev Trip: 777 ATL-ICN or 747 DTW-NRT

night_ice

Advanced
Nov 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Going to Asia in a few days and I have only flown on a 777 once. That was SQ from SIN-MNL earlier this year. I have flown the 747 many times, as recently as this summer. Having the choice of flying ATL-ICN n/s on the 777 or DTW-ICN (via NRT, and not minding the connection) which/what would be the most comfortable aircraft for this routing? Knowing the 747's probably won't be around too much longer (gasp) I thought I better fly on it while I can. Also, does DL upgrade non-wholly owned carriers for non-revs? That of course is a major factor.

Going to Asia in a few days and I have only flown on a 777 once. That was SQ from SIN-MNL earlier this year. I have flown the 747 many times, as recently as this summer. Having the choice of flying ATL-ICN n/s on the 777 or DTW-ICN (via NRT, and not minding the connection) which/what would be the most comfortable aircraft for this routing? Knowing the 747's probably won't be around too much longer (gasp) I thought I better fly on it while I can. Also, does DL upgrade non-wholly owned carriers for non-revs? That of course is a major factor.

Are you traveling in Business or Coach? AND

I have heard this comment before concerning the status of the 747's (747-400's with the last delivery made 6 years ago!), any clue how that rumor got started?

I have heard this comment before concerning the status of the 747's (747-400's with the last delivery made 6 years ago!), any clue how that rumor got started?
Definitely WBC on NWA if the seats are open when I fly. If not, then I'd hope to get upgraded on the 777 out of ATL. Coach in either would not be cool for that long of a flight.

I had heard that they are getting rid of the cargo 747's and keeping the pax 747's. From what I understand they will be passing through ATL in the future. Take that info with a grain of salt though, you know how rumors are.

I have heard this comment before concerning the status of the 747's (747-400's with the last delivery made 6 years ago!)
the delivery schedule was not changed in 2002, a combination of buying/leasing two 747-400, 10 757-200/300 to replace the DC10-40 and 25 or so A319/320 and some regional jets, of course the A330 fleet delivery following soon thereafter also did not change and replaced DC10-30 used for International.

Having just returned from non-reving to Asia, I suggest taking whoever has the most open seats. That being said, I took KE from DFW to ICN in coach several years ago and it wasn't half bad.... can you get a ZED fare on them? Perhaps SkyTeam offers something for staff travel that give you a leg up. I know OE does for us.