Northwest Targets Labor Costs

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Northwest targets labor costs
Liz Fedor, Star Tribune Staff Writer

Published November 13, 2003 NWA13

If you take away the cost of labor, Northwest Airlines and AirTran Airways, a rapidly growing low-fare carrier, had identical operating costs in the third quarter.

But compare Northwest's labor costs with a dozen U.S. airlines, and you'll find the Eagan-based airline has the third-highest labor costs in the industry. The message:

"The biggest issue we have facing us is our labor costs," Bernie Han, Northwest's chief financial officer, told Wall Street analysts Wednesday at a New York conference.

Han used detailed charts to underscore the huge divide between Northwest's labor and non-labor costs. After seven rounds of cost-cutting since 2001, Northwest is renewing its commitment to reduce its annual labor costs by about $1 billion a year -- a goal the airline's labor unions do not all share.

Han, speaking at a Citigroup Smith Barney transportation conference, did not spell out a deadline for achieving the labor cuts. However, he stressed that Northwest's labor costs are "significantly higher" than its low-cost competitors.

In the third quarter, Northwest and AirTran each spent 4.1 cents on non-labor costs to fly one seat one mile on their route systems -- a standard industry measure. In contrast, Northwest spent 3.8 cents per seat mile on labor, while AirTran spent 2.3 cents.

On Wednesday, AirTran launched daily nonstop service to San Francisco, the 45th market served by the fast-growing, Florida-based airline. Low-fare carriers have been adding routes and ordering new planes and now serve 25 percent of the domestic market -- an aggressive growth strategy that's possible, in part, because of the higher labor costs of their bigger competitors.

On several measurements, Northwest is outperforming its historic peer group -- American, United, Delta, Continental and US Airways. Judged by the relative size of the Big Six carriers, Northwest had the highest cash balance at the end of September. Northwest and Continental were the only airlines among the Big Six to turn a profit in the third quarter, and Northwest had the best on-time performance during the summer travel season.

But Han said it is no longer good enough to perform well in comparison to the big carriers. "The real competition is the low-cost carriers, which are growing rapidly and are quite profitable, so we do have to address our labor costs," Han said.

In the third quarter, Northwest's unit labor costs were double those paid by two low-fare carriers -- JetBlue and ATA, which paid 1.9 cents per seat mile for labor.

Northwest started rolling out concessionary proposals to its labor unions in February. The company is seeking permanent cost restructuring agreements, which include wage and benefit cuts and work rule changes.

So far, none of the unions have embraced cuts.
(This is a stretch for the mechanics who have lost 50% +/- of work and members?)

Han told analysts that Northwest is in talks with its pilots and ground workers.

The Air Line Pilots Association contract at Northwest opened up in September. In a recent bulletin to pilots, Northwest ALPA Chairman Mark McClain said Northwest "does not face an imminent cash crisis," but he noted that the company is expected to post losses in the fourth quarter of this year and first quarter of next year.

Pilot leaders consistently have said Northwest faces financial problems, but they want union workers to see financial rewards when the company's condition improves.

"It is troubling that the leadership at other large NWA unions have still not acknowledged the seriousness of our company's financial condition," McClain said in a late October memo to pilots.

Contracts for mechanics and flight attendants run through 2005, and union leaders for those employee groups have refused to engage in concessionary talks with Northwest.

The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) is at the bargaining table with Northwest. The IAM is the largest union at Northwest and represents ground workers, including customer service agents, baggage handlers and clerical employees.

In late August, the IAM and Northwest asked the National Mediation Board for help. The two sides returned to the bargaining table last week, and Northwest also gave IAM leaders a presentation on its financial condition.

On its Web site, IAM leaders said Northwest presented "the usual gloom and doom data comparing NWA to other carriers," but reported that IAM financial consultant Tom Roth has a different interpretation of some of those statistics.

Management and the unions have not given any indication that there will be a quick resolution to the labor cost issue. However, it will remain a paramount concern.

"Without a doubt," Han said, the cost of labor is "the biggest issue for Northwest."

Liz Fedor is at [email protected]

CIO, rumor has it that Mecca on the Mississippi wants to achieve Southwest staffing levels. How do you suggest the unions respond? Should they agree to pay and benefit cuts to go with the upcoming layoffs?

Checking it Out said:
Northwest targets labor costs
Liz Fedor, Star Tribune Staff Writer

Published November 13, 2003 NWA13

If you take away the cost of labor, Northwest Airlines and AirTran Airways, a rapidly growing low-fare carrier, had identical operating costs in the third quarter.

But compare Northwest's labor costs with a dozen U.S. airlines, and you'll find the Eagan-based airline has the third-highest labor costs in the industry. The message:

"The biggest issue we have facing us is our labor costs," Bernie Han, Northwest's chief financial officer, told Wall Street analysts Wednesday at a New York conference.

Han used detailed charts to underscore the huge divide between Northwest's labor and non-labor costs. After seven rounds of cost-cutting since 2001, Northwest is renewing its commitment to reduce its annual labor costs by about $1 billion a year -- a goal the airline's labor unions do not all share.

Han, speaking at a Citigroup Smith Barney transportation conference, did not spell out a deadline for achieving the labor cuts. However, he stressed that Northwest's labor costs are "significantly higher" than its low-cost competitors.

In the third quarter, Northwest and AirTran each spent 4.1 cents on non-labor costs to fly one seat one mile on their route systems -- a standard industry measure. In contrast, Northwest spent 3.8 cents per seat mile on labor, while AirTran spent 2.3 cents.

On Wednesday, AirTran launched daily nonstop service to San Francisco, the 45th market served by the fast-growing, Florida-based airline. Low-fare carriers have been adding routes and ordering new planes and now serve 25 percent of the domestic market -- an aggressive growth strategy that's possible, in part, because of the higher labor costs of their bigger competitors.

On several measurements, Northwest is outperforming its historic peer group -- American, United, Delta, Continental and US Airways. Judged by the relative size of the Big Six carriers, Northwest had the highest cash balance at the end of September. Northwest and Continental were the only airlines among the Big Six to turn a profit in the third quarter, and Northwest had the best on-time performance during the summer travel season.

But Han said it is no longer good enough to perform well in comparison to the big carriers. "The real competition is the low-cost carriers, which are growing rapidly and are quite profitable, so we do have to address our labor costs," Han said.

In the third quarter, Northwest's unit labor costs were double those paid by two low-fare carriers -- JetBlue and ATA, which paid 1.9 cents per seat mile for labor.

Northwest started rolling out concessionary proposals to its labor unions in February. The company is seeking permanent cost restructuring agreements, which include wage and benefit cuts and work rule changes.

So far, none of the unions have embraced cuts.
(This is a stretch for the mechanics who have lost 50% +/- of work and members?)

Han told analysts that Northwest is in talks with its pilots and ground workers.

The Air Line Pilots Association contract at Northwest opened up in September. In a recent bulletin to pilots, Northwest ALPA Chairman Mark McClain said Northwest "does not face an imminent cash crisis," but he noted that the company is expected to post losses in the fourth quarter of this year and first quarter of next year.

Pilot leaders consistently have said Northwest faces financial problems, but they want union workers to see financial rewards when the company's condition improves.

"It is troubling that the leadership at other large NWA unions have still not acknowledged the seriousness of our company's financial condition," McClain said in a late October memo to pilots.

Contracts for mechanics and flight attendants run through 2005, and union leaders for those employee groups have refused to engage in concessionary talks with Northwest.

The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) is at the bargaining table with Northwest. The IAM is the largest union at Northwest and represents ground workers, including customer service agents, baggage handlers and clerical employees.

In late August, the IAM and Northwest asked the National Mediation Board for help. The two sides returned to the bargaining table last week, and Northwest also gave IAM leaders a presentation on its financial condition.

On its Web site, IAM leaders said Northwest presented "the usual gloom and doom data comparing NWA to other carriers," but reported that IAM financial consultant Tom Roth has a different interpretation of some of those statistics.

Management and the unions have not given any indication that there will be a quick resolution to the labor cost issue. However, it will remain a paramount concern.

"Without a doubt," Han said, the cost of labor is "the biggest issue for Northwest."

Liz Fedor is at [email protected]
What percentage of maintenance does TWU represented EAGLE outsource?

Good Question Bob, since Eagle is a commuter and have 3 maintenance bases doing work I do not know the exact amount, Does somebody else know this Question?

Mecca Please explain?

Bob, Eagle has maintenance bases in Marquett Michigan, Abilene Texas, Cleveland/Columbus Ohio, and Fayettville Arkansas operated by RAMCI, WWASI, and EASI. All are AMR Eagle Holdings Corp. subsidaries but RAMCI is the only one represented by the TWU. I suppose you could say the majority of eagle maintenance is INsourced to NON-TWU represented subsidaries. Yours, Birdman

TDR1502C said:
CIO, rumor has it that Mecca on the Mississippi wants to achieve Southwest staffing levels. How do you suggest the unions respond? Should they agree to pay and benefit cuts to go with the upcoming layoffs?
MSP's nickname, where the Ivory Tower is.

Care to take a shot at my questions CIO? In the past when we were under the IAM, we took concessions and still there were layoffs. We even had to fight the company for agreed upon snap-backs, some of which are still being fought for to get the company to live up to their contracts. Advise us on the course to take.

Birdman said:
Bob, Eagle has maintenance bases in Marquett Michigan, Abilene Texas, Cleveland/Columbus Ohio, and Fayettville Arkansas operated by RAMCI, WWASI, and EASI. All are AMR Eagle Holdings Corp. subsidaries but RAMCI is the only one represented by the TWU. I suppose you could say the majority of eagle maintenance is INsourced to NON-TWU represented subsidaries. Yours, Birdman

I guess it comes down to what you mean by outsourced.

To me outsourced is anything that is my work as described in the contract that is not done by an AA mechanic on the mechanics scale.

To the International it means anything that is done by someone not paying dues.

To the company it means work that is done by another employer.

Clearly the Eagle work fits my definition of outsourced work. We should keep a close eye on those bases to see if all of a sudden the company recognizes the TWU as their bargaining agent as payoff for our concessions. A similar thing happened after the 95 contract where the company recognized the union without a vote by Eagle mechanics.

Birdman said:
RAMCI is over. They are now officially back as full blown American Eagle. They were spun off as RAMCI a while back in an attempt to get work from other airlines who were skittish about contracting out to AMR. It was pretty much a paperwork deal as they never were removed from the Eagle seniority list.

Abilene is EASI and is not on the Eagle list although if you were to walk into the facility you would swear it is an Eagle base. They do a lot of work there.

Fayetteville was a fairly large contract maintenance base but was cut after damaging too many of the aircraft. Rumor has it that they will return as a TWU/Eagle base.

Columbus is a TWU/Eagle base.

Cleveland is a contract maintenance base.

WWASI is Wings West Aviation Services out in SBP. They weren't represented until recently, when they went TWU. (Within the last year or two)

Bob Owens said:
I guess it comes down to what you mean by outsourced.

To me outsourced is anything that is my work as described in the contract that is not done by an AA mechanic on the mechanics scale.

To the International it means anything that is done by someone not paying dues.

To the company it means work that is done by another employer.

Clearly the Eagle work fits my definition of outsourced work. We should keep a close eye on those bases to see if all of a sudden the company recognizes the TWU as their bargaining agent as payoff for our concessions. A similar thing happened after the 95 contract where the company recognized the union without a vote by Eagle mechanics.
"To me outsourced is anything that is my work as described in the contract that is not done by an AA mechanic on the mechanics scale."

Oddly enough, EASI has the same pay scale as Eagle. No wonder they don't want to go union, as soon as Eagle gets something, AMREagle goes and gives it to EASI. All the benefits (?!) and none of the union dues.

"We should keep a close eye on those bases to see if all of a sudden the company recognizes the TWU as their bargaining agent as payoff for our concessions. A similar thing happened after the 95 contract where the company recognized the union without a vote by Eagle mechanics."

Eagle went TWU back in 1990. It's been a long time but if I remember right the vote was basically between staying non-union or going with the TWU.

WFFF, Sorry to have gotten so far of thread topic, but my source was NMB case R-6788 dated 4-18-01. Granted RAMCI and Eagle had virtual parallel contracts which included "me too"clauses. The case though stated that WWASI and EASI, Eagle subsidaries, were not paid the same as RAMCI and Eagle. As far as WWASI going TWU I find no NMB case verifying this. Was there a vote or assignment. Also, the TWU in September proposed a 4% per year raise for 3 years. If agreed upon by AMR Eagle do you suppose this will go to all Eagle subsidaries?
Yours, Birdman

Birdman said:
WFFF, Sorry to have gotten so far of thread topic, but my source was NMB case R-6788 dated 4-18-01. Granted RAMCI and Eagle had virtual parallel contracts which included "me too"clauses. The case though stated that WWASI and EASI, Eagle subsidaries, were not paid the same as RAMCI and Eagle. As far as WWASI going TWU I find no NMB case verifying this. Was there a vote or assignment. Also, the TWU in September proposed a 4% per year raise for 3 years. If agreed upon by AMR Eagle do you suppose this will go to all Eagle subsidaries?
Yours, Birdman
"The case though stated that WWASI and EASI, Eagle subsidaries, were not paid the same as RAMCI and Eagle."

I don't know about WWASI's pay, but EASI gets paid the same as Eagle. The only noticeable difference is that EASI doesn't get double time pay. The rest of the package is virtually identical.

"As far as WWASI going TWU I find no NMB case verifying this. Was there a vote or assignment."

Assignment I believe. There was a notice on the union board about it, I will see if it is still there.

" Also, the TWU in September proposed a 4% per year raise for 3 years. If agreed upon by AMR Eagle do you suppose this will go to all Eagle subsidaries?"

It usually does, but who knows. At any rate, I'm sure not optimistic that those numbers will go to a vote.

will fix for food said:
Fayetteville was a fairly large contract maintenance base but was cut after damaging too many of the aircraft. Rumor has it that they will return as a TWU/Eagle base.
It's official.

Latest posts