Nwa Posts 2nd Quarter Loss

Borescope said:
Give those boys a raise. Northwest has money to burn :up:
They only showed a 225M loss.
[post="284072"][/post]​
Even if they made a profit do you think there going to show it... especially now that there trying to rape the mechanics? Wonder what the "other" set of books show?

tug_slug said:
Even if they made a profit do you think there going to show it... especially now that there trying to rape the mechanics? Wonder what the "other" set of books show?
[post="284122"][/post]​

You’re kidding, right?

When are you guys going to learn (or maybe “accept†is a better term) that IRS rules do not, I repeat, do not allow companies to keep separate sets of books?!?! It doesn’t matter who’s in the White House. Haven’t you heard of Enron?

Maybe it’s time to put down “Guns & Ammo†for a while and read the newspaper!

That's the problem. Most are not smart enough to think for their selves. They don't know how to read. If they were, they wouldn't let their union do the thinking for them. They would do it their selves. Right now a union rep tells them how high to jump and they do it.

Man am i glad someone else started this topic. I had been dying to post it all day but would hate to ruffle the feathers of RTB and NBNW.

note that the fuel component of NW's fuel CASM was 3 cents in contrast with the 2.5 cents for other legacies. Fuel uncompetitiveness due to an inefficient fleet amounts to about 1/3 of NW's CASM gap with other legacy carriers.

Borescope said:
Give those boys a raise. Northwest has money to burn :up:
They only showed a 225M loss.
[post="284072"][/post]​
MORE MONEY TO BURN :shock:
Flight Attendant Recruiting
Recently NWA placed national advertisements seeking: "Individuals who successfully complete Flight Attendant training may be offered employment in the event of a labor dispute or strike."

This "contingency plan" has been used before at NWA during contract negotiations. In 1988 a 21-day "accelerated" training program was implemented. A more modest version of this plan was implemented in 1999/2000. Given its historic re-occurrence during contract negotiations, we should not be surprised or threatened by the details of this plan.

This type of training comes at a tremendous cost to the company at a time when NWA claims it is desperate to cut costs and needs employee concessions to survive. These costs must be included in the corporation's business plan. We have discovered:

120 people will be hired off-the-street to conduct the Flight Attendant training.
Trainees will be paid $60 per day during training.
Once trainees have successfully completed training, they will be paid $500 per month to sit around and wait.
If/when they are hired, they have been promised to be paid between $3000 and $7000 signing bonus, depending on how long they sit waiting.
It is estimated that approximately 1200 people will complete training.
We estimated a few of the calculated costs to NWA:

$60 daily trainee payment x 21 day estimated training period x 1200 trainees = $1,512,000
$500 "sit around pay" x 1200 trainees = $600,000 every month they "sit around"
Signing bonuses will total between $3,600,000 to $8,400,000 (A $3000 signing bonus x 1200 trainees = $3,600,000. A $7000 signing bonus x 1200 trainees = $8,400,000)
Housing cost for the trainees will include hotel accommodations. The average bulk rate in the Twin Cities is approximately $60 per night based upon double occupancy. 1200 divided by 2 = 600 rooms needed each training night. 600 rooms x 20 nights x $60 = $720,000
Some of the costs of the "contingency plan" we are currently unable to estimate. They include:

Salary for the 120 off-the-street instructors
Meeting rooms rental to conduct the training
Training material cost
Recruitment advertising in newspapers and on the internet
Interview process

magsau said:
Man am i glad someone else started this topic. I had been dying to post it all day but would hate to ruffle the feathers of RTB and NBNW.
[post="284147"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

magsau,

Just as long as you take your LITHIUM tablet each morning, you'll be OK !!

NH/BB's

magsau said:
[post="284147"][/post]​
I'll bet you've been dying to post that all day.No surprises there! But what I do find surprising is your reluctance to explain your infatuation with what is going on at NWA. Considering that UA and NW are each others biggest competitors, especially over seas and are constantly being compared to one another. Could it be that you are subconciously hoping that NWA fails and somehow revives UA?

Again your reluctance to explain your interest in NWA only leaves us to guess!

The key is to turn those "newhires" much like UAL turned the 570. That's the key to victory. Make NWA spend all that money to train them up then they stand next to you on the picketline. Priceless. :up: In any case, good luck guys. This is a tough time and don't let the stress of what is just a job ruin those important things in life.

This is a tough time and don't let the stress of what is just a job ruin those important things in life.

Good call Bus!!! The way I've started to look at the whole situation is that if this thing tanks, at least I've met many great people, had a lot of fun on layovers and flew the line with some fun crews. For me, it would be adios to aviation and the next chapter begins. Lots of other cool things to do in this life besides flying jets around I just can't think of any at the moment.

good luck to all at NWA and UA too.

bigsky

Red Tail Bear said:
I think Fly's cat has got his tongue!!
[post="284644"][/post]​

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After today's "fine" performance by UAL ($$$$$$$$) I don't think the NWA
thread will be hearing from ol' magsau anytime soon !!!!!!!

(FLY, well she's a whole nuther' story) !!!!!

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After today's "fine" performance by UAL ($$$$$$$$) I don't think the NWA
thread will be hearing from ol' magsau anytime soon !!!!!!!

(FLY, well she's a whole nuther' story) !!!!!

NH/BB's
[post="284657"][/post]​

UAL reported second-quarter operating earnings of $48 million. Excluding an impairment charge of $18 million for regional aircraft, operating earnings were $66 million,

Ah, not to hijack a NWA thread, but just what are you smoking? Is Medicinal Marijana legal in NH? :rolleyes: