Nwa Posts 2nd Quarter Loss

Busdrvr said:
For the record, the employees of UAL don't enjoy "languishing" in BK either. but lets consider some of the reasons UAL is still in BK. Among them is the stupid gamble YOUR management played with YOUR job as the stakes. Had companies like NWA NOT lobbied against the first ATSB application, then UAL would have been given a good bit of time to "fix" itself outside of BK, with wages at a respectable level. Then at the second try, NWA thought UAL dumping it's A plans would be good for the industry, and lobbied against UAL again. Maybe if NWA had been working on it's business plan instead, they wouldn't be in dire straits, hiring up strike breakers. Karma's a b1tch
[post="285019"][/post]​

Busdrvr,

Don't forget the half dozen times Northwest would not go along with the fare increases the other major had tried to pass, and they increases collapsed. While at the same time they were asking the employees for pay cuts.

Northwest management was trying to put financial pressure on the weaker players and the employees appeared to be onboard. I didn't read one forum post about Northwest asking for paycuts and reduced benefits while the bosses were not raising airfares. Where was the outrage?

Undoubtly, one of the worst mistakes NWA made. No excuses either, especially since their network had the least LCC competition. Now faced with labor issues it will be UAs turn to crank up the heat. Strap in tight boys and girls, it's gonna get a little bumpy.

cheers

bigsky

Busdrvr said:
For the record, the employees of UAL don't enjoy "languishing" in BK either.  but lets consider some of the reasons UAL is still in BK.  Among them is the stupid gamble YOUR management played with YOUR job as the stakes.  Had companies like NWA NOT lobbied against the first ATSB application, then UAL would have been given a good bit of time to "fix" itself outside of BK, with wages at a respectable level.  Then at the second try, NWA thought UAL dumping it's A plans would be good for the industry, and lobbied against UAL again.  Maybe if NWA had been working on it's business plan instead, they wouldn't be in dire straits, hiring up strike breakers.  Karma's a b1tch
[post="285019"][/post]​
Busdrvr,
I certainly don't think for a second that UA employees are enjoying BK one bit, Nor do I think that they're somehow responsible.

Certainly the lobbying of NW were'nt the only considerations taken by the ATSB with regards to granting the UAL loans. There must have been more convincing factors than the lobbying of one airline, that influenced their decision. I'm sure it's not the first time an airline lobbied against a competitor and it definitely won't be the last.

How about having a go at some of the other reasons UA is still in BK. Who else would you like to blame for UA's troubles? Maybe you could take a look at your own business plan for starters. And from there, your Management.

This ought to be interesting!!

Red Tail Bear said:
Busdrvr,
I certainly don't think for a second that UA employees are enjoying BK one bit, Nor do I think that they're somehow responsible.

Certainly the lobbying of NW were'nt the only considerations taken by the ATSB with regards to granting the UAL loans. There must have been more convincing factors than the lobbying of one airline, that influenced their decision. I'm sure it's not the first time an airline lobbied against a competitor and it definitely won't be the last.

How about having a go at some of the other reasons UA is still in BK. Who else would you like to blame for UA's troubles? Maybe you could take a look at your own business plan for starters. And from there, your Management.

This ought to be interesting!!
[post="285283"][/post]​

First, if you don't think the lobbying by the likes of NWA did NOT have a bearing on the outcome of the board, then you should be EXTREMELY angry that your employer wasted moeny that could have been used to pay down debt, or fund up the pensions on a useless exercise.
Second, UAL is stiull in BK for one reason and one reason only. they aren't done lowering costs and squeazing ewvery nickle out of the process. So there we have it. UAL turned an operating profit last Q DESPITE the negative impact of BK on yields. Enjoy next year (if it takes that long). While your employees are mostly innocent pawns, your management will get what they deserve.

Mag,

But I was a fairly high mileage FF and was treated with great disdain

Your claim that every Agent was "surly", and every F/A treated you with "disdain"....
Now, I would say that we all have come accross those types of people at ALL the airlines. But if you claim that was your experience EVERY time... Then it must have had something to do with your demeaner....... Because even a broken clock is right twice a DAY ! But for you to have that level of hostility for so long.. Speaks volumns. I suggest Anger Management. ( and I am not refering to the movie)

SN

Enjoy next year (if it takes that long). While your employees are mostly innocent pawns, your management will get what they deserve

If a Chapter 11 filing becomes necessary it will happen before the end of October. After witnessing UA ill fated attempted to emerge from Chap 11 status in a timely matter, the government has rewritten the laws concerning companies that file for BK protection. The new BK law puts a limit, I believe, of one year for companies to reorganize and get their house in order. Under these new laws, I believe it would be extremely difficult for NWA to emerge from Chater 11 protection as a viable and profitable company. The new Chap 11 laws go into effect somewhere around mid October. The next month will be the most challenging for NWA.

Unlike many, especially Magsau, I would have preferred to see both UA and NW avoid any kind of Bankruptcy filing. I thought it was a quite nice rivalry in the Pacific between two respectable carriers.

To add, I have travelled as a full fare passenger on both carriers(UA and NW) to NRT and found both providing a great service. UA managed to loose my bags and screwed up my reservation for the trip home. No apologies from them either but I would not let that commence some personal vendatta against a particular airline. #### happens!!!

Hoping the rivalry will start again on an equal playing field and we can argue about who has the coolest uniform or hottest paint job. Northeast wins!!!

cheers

bigsky

Bigsky said:
Hoping the rivalry will start again on an equal playing field and we can argue about who has the coolest uniform or hottest paint job. Northeast wins!!!
[post="285296"][/post]​

Yeah, I liked their "Yellowbird" 727s too. :D

Busdrvr said:
First, if you don't think the lobbying by the likes of NWA did NOT have a bearing on the outcome of the board, then you should be EXTREMELY angry that your employer wasted moeny that could have been used to pay down debt, or fund up the pensions on a useless exercise.
Second, UAL is stiull in BK for one reason and one reason only. they aren't done lowering costs and squeazing ewvery nickle out of the process. So there we have it. UAL turned an operating profit last Q DESPITE the negative impact of BK on yields. Enjoy next year (if it takes that long). While your employees are mostly innocent pawns, your management will get what they deserve.
[post="285286"][/post]​
Busdrvr,
Don't you mean squeezing every nickel out of the employees? You keep blaming everything and everyone for UA's troubles except the people who are responsible for putting them there in the first place.

When is your management going to get what they deserve? Instead of getting everything they have demanded.

You waste no time pointing out the inefficiencies of other carriers management, but are reluctant to acknowledge your own incompetent staff and their costly decisions.

Bigsky said:
The new BK law puts a limit, I believe, of one year for companies to reorganize and get their house in order.
[post="285296"][/post]​
This is the Lorenzo-Tilton Act of 2005 :lol: :lol:

Latest posts