Ny Times 10/17...mechanics To Vote On Offer

featheroleather

Advanced
Aug 9, 2004
In a Reversal, Mechanics at Northwest Agree to Vote

DETROIT, Oct. 16 - With mechanics at Northwest Airlines about to enter the third month of their strike, the union representing them has shifted course and decided to allow a vote on the airline's latest offer.

The offer from Northwest, which filed for bankruptcy protection last month, would allow about 500 of the 4,430 striking workers to return to their jobs. The others would be given four weeks' severance pay. Members of the Aircraft Machinists Fraternal Association will be deciding over the next two weeks whether to accept the proposal.

In a letter to members on Friday, the union said, "When you look at the details, you will be hard-pressed to find anything 'good.' "

O. V. Delle-Femine, the union president, said Sunday that he did not expect the offer to win approval from a majority of union members. "Their offer is audacious and unrealistic," he said. "I think what it does is it solidifies our strikers and it shows it's worth staying out because of what the company is offering."

The Northwest workers went on strike on Aug. 20, after the airline said it would not back down from a contract offer that would have imposed $176 million in wage and benefits cuts.

The decision to allow its members to vote on Northwest's offer represents a slight softening in the union's hard-line approach to bargaining since the strike began. It also marks the first time since the walkout that the union has publicly entertained an offer from the airline.

Representatives from the airline and the company met on Thursday and on Friday to see if they could make any progress in the stalled contract negotiations. Northwest presented the offer, which the union said would preserve 500 to 539 mechanics jobs, allowing up to 580 replacement mechanics to continue in their jobs. The union did not say what the new pay rate would be, although replacement mechanics are being paid about $27 an hour. Before they struck, union mechanics were earning about $37 an hour. The airline's offer before the strike would have required mechanics, cleaners and other employees to take a 26 percent pay cut. Union leaders rejected the proposal outright, and did not take it to the full membership for a vote.

In a statement on Sunday, Northwest said, "We are pleased that the A.M.F.A. leadership is giving employees the opportunity to vote on the proposed terms of an agreement."

In its letter to members on Friday, the union said its decision to put Northwest's latest offer to a vote was not a "sellout."

"We feel it is imperative at this point in time for the company's management, and the financial community, to hear what your decision is," the letter said.

CHICAGO, Oct 17 (Reuters) - About 500 of the 4,400 striking Northwest Airlines (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research) mechanics would reclaim their jobs if the workers agree to the airline's latest contract proposal, but experts said on Monday that regardless of the vote, THEIR UNION HAS SUFFERED A HUMILIATING DEFEAT.

Time to put your tail between your legs and crawl back. :up:

CHICAGO, Oct 17 (Reuters) - About 500 of the 4,400 striking Northwest Airlines (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research) mechanics would reclaim their jobs if the workers agree to the airline's latest contract proposal, but experts said on Monday that regardless of the vote, THEIR UNION HAS SUFFERED A HUMILIATING DEFEAT.

Who said anything about voting yes for it. Now a former UAL-pro AMFA, now management bootlicker/SCAB like you would vote for it.

You mean like you did? Aw-Oh, its the boss and he needs you RIGHT now, don't forget to wipe your chin........ :huh:

Only scabs like PTO,OPUS,certain ex-IAM members would give a yes vote to NWA's latest contract offer. This AMFA strike has shown that unionism is still alive in this country, even though certain unions like the TWU,IAM have done everything possible to betray what a union is supposed to stand for.

Rather than put their tail between their legs and crawl back I am sure that these skilled men and women will walk away on their own two feet as they realize that NW is not worth working for. These people have crossover skills that the flight attendants, pilots, and ground service people can only wish they had. These proud men and women will do OK. It is the people who did not support AMFA and crossed the picket line that will suffer. Things have a way of evening out in the end. I'd rather walk away on my feet than crawl before the people that run NW-bad on them. SCABS, shame on you.

Rather than put their tail between their legs and crawl back I am sure that these skilled men and women will walk away on their own two feet as they realize that NW is not worth working for. These people have crossover skills that the flight attendants, pilots, and ground service people can only wish they had. These proud men and women will do OK. It is the people who did not support AMFA and crossed the picket line that will suffer. Things have a way of evening out in the end. I'd rather walk away on my feet than crawl before the people that run NW-bad on them. SCABS, shame on you.
Some of the people in the other unions can do other things. This was proven at US where even though they gave the company everything without a strike, large numbers of their people have taken the buyout and moved on. Once the pay falls below a certain level, the people that can, will leave. This applies to NW, DL, AA, etc.

Sorry proAMFA they are going to cross with or without AMFA's support.

After all this time only 50 have crossed. I believe this group of workers have shown what they are made of. Unfortunately you have also shown the world what you are made of.

Mankind would have been better served if your mother would have had an abortion.

I disagree with you proAMFA. I think all this time they have showed a tremendous amount of faith in AMFA. That faith is beginning to fail. AMFA blew it and they are beginning to realize that. That blind faith is a mother isn't it?