Obama Says Email Privacy Gone

"If Edward Snowden Had Watched '60 Minutes' In High School He Could Still Be Living In Hawaii With His Beautiful Girlfriend"

There are two major problems with Snowden's plan.

One is small. One is big.

The small problem with Snowden's plan is that the information contained in his documents appears to be false or incomplete. They said that PRISM gave the NSA direct access to the servers of companies like Google and Facebook. That's not true.

The big problem with Snowden's plan to shock the American public into an anti-surveillance revolution is that the documents he leaked contained only old news.

There is a report out today from the AP saying that it has been "known for years," that there is a program which "copies Internet traffic as it enters and leaves the United States, then routes it to the NSA for analysis."

In fact, the American public has known that the NSA has extensive Internet-spying programs since 2000.

That's when "60 Minutes" reported: " If you made a phone call today or sent an e-mail to a friend, there's a good chance what you said or wrote was captured and screened by the country's largest intelligence agency."

The "60 Minutes" report exposed the existence of a program called Echelon, through which the governments of Canada, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand worked in coordination to spy on each other's citizens on the Internet.

If you read the transcript from that "60 Minutes" episode, Echelon sounds like a more invasive program than PRISM.

"60 Minutes" is a massively popular news program. Ten million, sometimes 20 million people, watch it every Sunday. Even more watched it back in 2000.

And yet, the American public reacted to "60 Minutes'" expose with a yawn.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edward-snowden-had-watched-60-145117625.html

"If Edward Snowden Had Watched '60 Minutes' In High School He Could Still Be Living In Hawaii With His Beautiful Girlfriend"

There are two major problems with Snowden's plan.

One is small. One is big.

The small problem with Snowden's plan is that the information contained in his documents appears to be false or incomplete. They said that PRISM gave the NSA direct access to the servers of companies like Google and Facebook. That's not true.

The big problem with Snowden's plan to shock the American public into an anti-surveillance revolution is that the documents he leaked contained only old news.

There is a report out today from the AP saying that it has been "known for years," that there is a program which "copies Internet traffic as it enters and leaves the United States, then routes it to the NSA for analysis."

In fact, the American public has known that the NSA has extensive Internet-spying programs since 2000.

That's when "60 Minutes" reported: " If you made a phone call today or sent an e-mail to a friend, there's a good chance what you said or wrote was captured and screened by the country's largest intelligence agency."

The "60 Minutes" report exposed the existence of a program called Echelon, through which the governments of Canada, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand worked in coordination to spy on each other's citizens on the Internet.

If you read the transcript from that "60 Minutes" episode, Echelon sounds like a more invasive program than PRISM.

"60 Minutes" is a massively popular news program. Ten million, sometimes 20 million people, watch it every Sunday. Even more watched it back in 2000.

And yet, the American public reacted to "60 Minutes'" expose with a yawn.

http://finance.yahoo...-145117625.html

Move to discredit him and his message......from Obama's lap dog CBS.......prove what they are saying is true or false.......

60 minutes knew 2 years ago they were going to need to discredit Snowden so they aired that program?

Quite the CT. As good as planting that birth announcement in the Honolulu Star...

I guess this guy was in on it too:

Revisiting Echelon: The NSA’s Clandestine Data Mining Program
By Jason Leopold
The Public Record
Jul 15th, 2009

“Under the ECHELON program, the NSA and certain foreign intelligence agencies throw an extremely wide net over virtually all electronic communications world-wide. There are no warrants. No probable cause requirements. No FISA court. And information is intercepted that is communicated solely between US citizens within the US, which may not be the purpose of the program but, nonetheless, is a consequence of the program.”
Report Critical of NSA Program
Last week, an unclassified report prepared by inspectors general of five federal agencies said George W. Bush justified his warrantless wiretapping by relying on Justice Department attorney John Yoo’s theories of unlimited presidential wartime powers, and started the spying operation even before Yoo issued a formal opinion, a government investigation discovered.
Essentially, President Bush took it upon himself to ignore the clear requirement of the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act that all domestic intelligence-related electronic spying must have a warrant from a secret federal court, not just presidential approval. Illegal wiretapping is a felony under federal law.
The July 10 report didn’t identify any specific terrorist attack that was thwarted by what was known as the President’s Surveillance Program (PSP), although Bush has claimed publicly that his warrantless wiretapping “helped detect and prevent terrorist attacks on our own country.”

http://pubrecord.org/nation/2290/revisiting-echelon-nsas/

60 minutes knew 2 years ago they were going to need to discredit Snowden so they aired that program?

Quite the CT. As good as planting that birth announcement in the Honolulu Star...

So you are saying no one would dig up past articles to discredit this guy?

I'd like to see you prove that.

Ahh, he isn't done releasing info.

And if you were up on these issues, you would know that many years ago I mentioned these programs called Echelon and Carnivore only to have some Einstein label them CT.
In fact, I mentioned them in this thread if you bothered to look.

You been scooped.

You scooped Snowden and the media. Why is this an issue now then? Why the outrage?

We all sign away our right to Internet privacy on a regular basis and do not say a word. You ever read the terms of service for gmail, yahoo, or Facebook, or Twitter, etc.?

Then when there is a "revelation" (even though this has been in news stories for many years) about the NSA collecting metadata, people like Rand Paul act like the world is coming to an end. I wonder if Rand ever read the terms of service of some of the sites he uses?

You scooped Snowden and the media. Why is this an issue now then? Why the outrage?

We all sign away our right to Internet privacy on a regular basis and do not say a word. You ever read the terms of service for gmail, yahoo, or Facebook, or Twitter, etc.?

Then when there is a "revelation" (even though this has been in news stories for many years) about the NSA collecting metadata, people like Rand Paul act like the world is coming to an end. I wonder if Rand ever read the terms of service of some of the sites he uses?

No, I didn't say I scooped Snowden and the media, you are lying. I said I presented info on Echelon and Carnivore previously.....and YOU been scooped.

Now you lose the narrative and you're squirming all over.....LOL

Like I said, when I previously mentioned Echelon and Carnivore, some Einstein claimed it was all CT......dwell on that for a while.

What is the narrative? A program that has been in effect most likely since the advent of the Internet and was exposed back during the Bush presidency, is now a revelation?

And if I called your outing of this Echelon program a CT, then I was wrong and stand corrected. I do remember seeing the 60 minutes episode on it and did not think much of it. I guess you beat them to it also.

I have always assumed that when on the internet, some wiz kid hacker somewhere could be watching my movements. If he could, I would think some government agency was also watching. I was really worried when I had to research a paper I wrote on Islamic terrorism and Jihad for college. The black helicopters never showed up.

The beginning of the thread was about Senator Leahy trying to do some tweaking to the program and you called it the "Obama says email privacy is gone".

I still fail to see how connection between the Leahy action and the title of the thread. Of course you could say that Obama does own the gahtering program since he has done nothing to change or stop it, and actually endorses its use.

He, among many others in the security and intellegence community say it works. You and I may never know.

Hell, Google probably knows more about us than our wives do now anyway. Like I said before, I am not heading to the bunker to hide.

BTW, happy Fathers Day dude.

Reactions: 1 person
I still fail to see how connection between the Leahy action and the title of the thread.

Maybe it was a prophetic linking.....

You do know Bill put Echelon on steroids don't you?

Daddy Bush's CIA put it together....

My dear dead Uncle worked for Ma Bell and was acutely aware of telecommunications 'things' back in the 60's.......he found out about Echelon and became real concerned....I used to tease him on occasion by using keywords that Echelon looked for.....he didn't think it was very funny at all.......then.

"Uncle Al, I have a nuclear device, wanna see it?"

Oh crap. this will be noticed now.

People should take a step back before pointing the CT finger.....with CT, time will tell.

Ah, don't you mean Mothers Day?

Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords

The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.
If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.

BigBrother-002c-800x476.jpg

A Microsoft spokesperson would not say whether the company has received such requests from the government. But when asked whether Microsoft would divulge passwords, salts, or algorithms, the spokesperson replied: "No, we don't, and we can't see a circumstance in which we would provide it."
Google also declined to disclose whether it had received requests for those types of data. But a spokesperson said the company has "never" turned over a user's encrypted password, and that it has a legal team that frequently pushes back against requests that are fishing expeditions or are otherwise problematic. "We take the privacy and security of our users very seriously," the spokesperson said.
Apple, Yahoo, Facebook, AOL, Verizon, AT&T, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast did not respond to queries about whether they have received requests for users' passwords and how they would respond to them.
http://news.cnet.com...ount-passwords/

Do you really think the government can remember our passwords for all of our accounts? Of course they are the going to comb though all the messages per day, per person?

People give them far to much credit.

The CT crowds kill me. In one thread, people say how incompetent the government is/are, then the next they think they have the ability to pull off vast conspiracies without anyone finding out.

Do you really think the government can remember our passwords for all of our accounts? Of course they are the going to comb though all the messages per day, per person?

People give them far to much credit.

The CT crowds kill me. In one thread, people say how incompetent the government is/are, then the next they think they have the ability to pull off vast conspiracies without anyone finding out.

obama-tin-foil-hat-200x122.jpg

The article is about them asking providers to turn over passwords. I don't think the gov't would be asking for them if they didn't have the capability.

This isn't about CT....its about documented requests if you bothered to read the article.

They are on record already saying they have the ability presently to capture every internet transaction and radio transmission now.
It is very easy to record everything and then go back and sift through it.
NSA has designed computer programs to do this.....wake up 1984 been here for quite sometime.

You should sit back and come to grips with what the Utah facility is all about.

Don't wig out on me, but this Brookings Institution report says loads:

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2011/12/14%20digital%20storage%20villasenor/1214_digital_storage_villasenor.pdf

Obama insisted, “Nobody’s listening to the content of people’s phone calls.”
Key word there is “listen.” This was the same phraseology used by the agency itself in an April press statement: “One of the biggest misconceptions about [the] National Security Agency is that we are unlawfully listening in on, or reading emails of, U.S. citizens. This is simply not the case.”
Listening in on? Reading? Perhaps not. Even with tens of thousands of employees, the agency simply lacks the manpower to personally listen to and read the trillions of communications it collects and gathers on an annual basis. That’s what powerful computers and data storage are for. (UTAH)
The real question for officials is not if it’s being listened to. It’s whether all this data is being recorded. Obama has seemingly admitted that it is.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Read more at NetRightDaily.com: http://netrightdaily.../#ixzz2a72EY6cm[/background]​

Another pesky fact is that it would have had to pass both the house and senate. But hey, if you want to stretch all that rhetoric from a bill that never made it to a vote in one branch of congress into:

"Obama Says Email Privacy Gone"

You are very nimble to be able to reach that far with this one.

I thank you for your astute insight my friend.

What about having to pass both houses??

Obama_TrustMe_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

The Obama administration secretly won permission from a surveillance court in 2011 to reverse restrictions on the National Security Agency’s use of intercepted phone calls and e-mails, permitting the agency to search deliberately for Americans’ communications in its massive databases, according to interviews with government officials and recently declassified material.

What had not been previously acknowledged is that the court in 2008 imposed an explicit ban — at the government’s request — on those kinds of searches, that officials in 2011 got the court to lift the bar and that the search authority has been used.

“The government says, ‘We’re not targeting U.S. persons,’ ” said Gregory T. Nojeim, senior counsel at the Center for Democracy and Technology. “But then they never say, ‘We turn around and deliberately search for Americans’ records in what we took from the wire.’ That, to me, is not so different from targeting Americans at the outset.”
The court decision allowed the NSA “to query the vast majority” of its e-mail and phone call databases using the e-mail addresses and phone numbers of Americans and legal residents without a warrant, according to Bates’s opinion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-administration-had-restrictions-on-nsa-reversed-in-2011/2013/09/07/c26ef658-0fe5-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html

Where's the Bush Bush Bush bullcrap now?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The director of the National Security Agency says the agency collects data from social networks and other private databases to hunt terror suspects but is not using the information to build dossiers, or personal files, on Americans.

Latest posts