Trip Report 8/6-8/7

An agent CAN NOT change the zone on your boarding pass. It depends on your status or THE SEAT you are assigned. The only way to get a lower zone would be to go towards the back of the plane, bulkhead, or window or middle seat. An aisle in the front will be the lowest zone. People think the agents put the zones on there, but we dont. It is all done by the computer per the above requirements and the agent has no way to change it to show a different zone. And once again, it doesnt matter what you paid for your ticket (unfortunately) coach is considered coach by current policy and procedures and there is no way to differentiate your fare compared to others in the computer, fa printout or boarding priority.

So sorry, but all the GA had to do was say, "We'll be boarding in X minutes. When we board, please feel free to board with Zone 2 passengers. I'll make sure my colleague standing right next to me knows so as to not give you a hard time because we thank you for your business."

HRDiva

So sorry, but all the GA had to do was say, "We'll be boarding in X minutes. When we board, please feel free to board with Zone 2 passengers. I'll make sure my colleague standing right next to me knows so as to not give you a hard time because we thank you for your business."

HRDiva

That's a violation of company policy, and the gate agent could get in trouble for doing that. The flight attendant was definitely out of line, but not the gate agent. This is the way US wants to run its business; so be it. The only way to fix it yourself is to fly someone else.

I think your experience goes beyond the policy and procedures that are now in place. A good FA can deliver the same message about policy and procedure, but not piss off the customer. You had some bad apples..and at the old US Airways, they can still be pretty darn callous and rude. Keep in mind, there are some awesome FA's out there that can make a difference in your opinion.

I don't disagree, however it is now Doug Parker's problem to address.

Has he chosen to address it? Not in a positive, meaningful way. Certainly not in leading by example in his life.

It's nearly three years on his watch and NOTHING has been done.
Don't worry Bob, It won't take long. Give Parker 5 more years, and these "senior" employees that are "holding back the NEW US Airways" will all be gone, and replaced by a whole new group of low paid ambitious young adults that will all be willing to do what they are told...

HRDiva

Wow! And then we'd get to hear from this crowd. Guess the gate agents are screwed either way then, huh?
Um, excuse me, she has a Zone 5 and you're letting her board with Zone 2? I want to board now then too.... :shock: So sorry, but now you know to ask the gate agent for a window seat in the back to get the lower zone or fly enough to get the Preferred zone for boarding.

Don't worry Bob, It won't take long. Give Parker 5 more years, and these "senior" employees that are "holding back the NEW US Airways" will all be gone, and replaced by a whole new group of low paid ambitious young adults that will all be willing to do what they are told...

No flight attendant that "senior" is quitting or retiring. NO ONE. Ask them. They'll tell you. They are not leaving this company, no matter what management throws at them. They have survived the PIT-PHL breakfasts, back-to-back Chicago dinners and the Golden Sun Service to Florida. Selling a "Coke" is not a big deal at all. My PHL-PIT flight this evening netted a big $8.

I worked my first flight to LAX this week selling beverages and I have to say it didn't stink. We sold about $400 dollars of beverages to LAX and back. The bigger issue is that we sold out of Buy on Board food very quickly - sandwiches around row 11 and salads around row 23. That did not make people happy at all. On a positive note, those two flights were the best I have worked in YEARS because I actually had time to speak with the customers as we went by, instead of trying to get out of the aisle as quickly as possible.

And, to the poster who was concerned about our "secret shoppers," please don't be. They may have placed them on flights, but I will tell you that after 24 years of service, I have yet to be scolded about giving a drink or headset to someone who deserves it. That includes giving drinks to customers who change seats due to double seat assignments, US1s, unaccompanied minors or recognizing our brave Military or even our Olympic heroes.

That's a violation of company policy, and the gate agent could get in trouble for doing that. The flight attendant was definitely out of line, but not the gate agent. This is the way US wants to run its business; so be it. The only way to fix it yourself is to fly someone else.

They announce while boarding, that if you are traveling with someone with a lower priority, just board with them. So, obviously, there is a way to get around the zone as written on the boarding pass.

This whole "violation" mentality is absurd. It's a violation of good business principles to gouge a fare paying customer and not accommodate a simple request. Those of you who don't get it are doomed to sink with the ship!

But, since you'd rather we fly someone else, you got your wish!

HRDiva

They announce while boarding, that if you are traveling with someone with a lower priority, just board with them. So, obviously, there is a way to get around the zone as written on the boarding pass.

Yes, you travel WITH someone who has a lower zone number. Next time find a Chairman or Gold to hook up with in the boarding lounge and board with them. Also if you're traveling with your family and are seated 3 across, you'll probably have a 3,5,6 for zones. That means that mom in the window with a 3 can take dad on the aisle with a 6 and the kid in the middle with a 5 all at the same time. Thats how you get to board with someone with a lower zone.

HRDiva

"I used to be a CP. I haven't flown USAirways since Jan, 2007. I NEVER will again! I fly a lot for business. They lost my business."

When you post this in the first post and then continue to try to tell us how you should have received special treatment, what do you expect? You've already told us that you havent flown us in over a year and a half and you arent flying us again. Also, I know its just YOUR ONE LITTLE REQUEST to bend/break the rules. Now, multiply that ONE LITTLE REQUEST times how many people per flight, times how many flights a day and it suddenly doesnt become ONE LITTLE REQUEST any longer. :blink:

This whole "violation" mentality is absurd. It's a violation of good business principles to gouge a fare paying customer and not accommodate a simple request. Those of you who don't get it are doomed to sink with the ship!

HRDiva

I don't work for US. I'm only saying that's how it works at US Airways.

Yes, you travel WITH someone who has a lower zone number. Next time find a Chairman or Gold to hook up with in the boarding lounge and board with them. Also if you're traveling with your family and are seated 3 across, you'll probably have a 3,5,6 for zones. That means that mom in the window with a 3 can take dad on the aisle with a 6 and the kid in the middle with a 5 all at the same time. Thats how you get to board with someone with a lower zone.

"I used to be a CP. I haven't flown USAirways since Jan, 2007. I NEVER will again! I fly a lot for business. They lost my business."

When you post this in the first post and then continue to try to tell us how you should have received special treatment, what do you expect? You've already told us that you havent flown us in over a year and a half and you arent flying us again. Also, I know its just YOUR ONE LITTLE REQUEST to bend/break the rules. Now, multiply that ONE LITTLE REQUEST times how many people per flight, times how many flights a day and it suddenly doesnt become ONE LITTLE REQUEST any longer. :blink:

And that is why the new US Airways is doomed to fail. You can't unbundle and gouge business travelers at the same time. You have to unbundle only if you are going to charge low fares.

So, if the front line employee is not empowered to make a decision that makes SENSE, then it will result in lost business. You not only lost my business, but most of the business of my company. I didn't ask for anything that was radical. I asked to be boarded so I could ensure an overhead bin. Heck, since on the flight the day before they didn't care about unattended bags, someone could have volunteered to take my bag on board and stow it for me! You guys are inconsistent and clinging to rules that make no business sense!

I don't care about my Dividend Miles--I don't use them and have no intention of using them. I don't need them. I care about value for my dollar. I paid full fare plus and should be treated accordingly. You may disagree, but I am the customer and I get to call the shots on this one since I get to pull my and my company's business away from US Airways.

Have a good day--I am done on this topic!

HRDiva

And that is why the new US Airways is doomed to fail. You can't unbundle and gouge business travelers at the same time. You have to unbundle only if you are going to charge low fares.
As countless others have reiterated, time and again, a rational fare structure, even if higher than others, would bring consistency and a feeling of peace to the USAir traveling public.

Imagine if Wendy's did what US does, charge for burgers with volatile abandon. Sitting next to a two dollar burger customer while you paid ten dollars for the same is gonna cause problems. You will feel cheated and likely go somewhere else. You can unbundle the drinks, ketchup and napkins, but if I felt cheated over the core business, I know I would be out-of-there.

This seems something Tempe won't/can't grasp. They seem so busy constructing fairy towers of differing fares, yet, forget to accomplish the most basic of tasks, offending a raft of customers in the process.

As a frequent flier myself, I have seen far too many people cop an attitude with frontline employees who have no control over either weather, company policy or mechanical breakdowns. Everyone gets frustrated when traveling, but the frustration is usually vented at those who were the least responsible and with no control to change anything. Someone who has to constantly remind everyone that their boss is the owner of the company - most likely conveyed an "i am more important than you attitude" - which is the surest turnoff to any front line service employee and almost a guarantee to have them follow the book TO THE LETTER.

A smile, please and thank you will do more to get you an exit row aisle than discussing the price of your ticket or the status of your boss.

An old joke - A private, not paying attention to where he was walking, bumped into a general and spilled his coffee....the private, aghast, apologized and say I am sorry sir I didn't know you were a general - to which the general replied - don't worry , just be glad I wasn't a second lieutenant....
:rolleyes: AMEN. To ALL the people out there THAT GET IT, thank you. To the Self-absorbed , self centered, think they are something crowd..........YOU Don't Want to See Me Mad....or Do You?

Actually, I am usually the opposite-when there's a weather delay, I pull up the FAA web site or weather radar, and show the agent what's going on-in many cases I am better informed than the agent. I have had a few occasions where I have intervened and almost pulled people off agents, and yelled at them for giving the agent a hard time, then showed them the data on my phone to prove the point.

Regardless of how badly I am affected by an irregular op, I try to make my own arrangements before bothering a gate agent, and if I do talk to the agent, I do realize whatever is going on is usually not their fault (in a couple of cases it was though).

One of the problems today is that the airline business, and in particular, US, is for the most part poorly run. Managers couldn't figure out how to save money with operational efficiencies or by actually IMPROVING processes, so they go after the customer. The customer in many cases is getting whacked on both ends--high fares (gouging), and nickel and diming. Tempers flare when people feel they are getting hosed, and the new "economics" at US must be figuring into some of the short tempers.

For the most part (and I DO know exceptions), many elite flyers usually know the drill and roll with the punches. A few bad ones can ruin it for everyone else, but I guess that's just nature.

In the end, I do not believe the company will survive without making major changes. This company has gone further to alienate BOTH customers AND employees than any other airline, and they stand to be the biggest losers as a result.

My BEST to you all....

I would not argue that there are rude FA's, just like any other industry. But I am questioning the OP's version of what happened, I believe the comment about lack of fuel saving from all the liquor, but the following statement I am not sure about: He doesn't care; it's not his problem, pay up or shut up, he said. He also said he hates passengers who are problem makers. No one else heard him say this, but you were able to overhear the FA's talkng about you from the galley? If the flight was full as you stated I would think that someone else had to hear him say that to you. Was he rude, probably, but I do not believe the "pay up or shut up" comment....