Trip Report 8/6-8/7

You have to unbundle only if you are going to charge low fares.

I care about value for my dollar. I paid full fare plus and should be treated accordingly. You may disagree, but I am the customer and I get to call the shots on this one since I get to pull my and my company's business away from US Airways.

I did a little bit of checking and found out that both UA and DL have lower fares than what was paid. Since it was past date, I cant tell if it was actually available on the dates in question, but UA has flights as low as $650ish rt (actually using US on some flights and conx on others). And DL had flights as low as $500ish rt. Of course, the DL flight was a conx via ATL and was a short 6 hours and 19 minutes coming and 6:54 returning. The cheaper UA flights also required a conx in IAD. So, I would venture a guess that the value received for paying $800 in this market would also include the fact that it was a nonstop, purchased day before, and took less than 2 hours to get from CLT to PHL. I know that many travelers dont consider time worth the price/value UNTIL the flight is late and then its all encompasing. It cant happen both ways. Next time, save the money and spend the day in the airport?

I would not argue that there are rude FA's, just like any other industry. But I am questioning the OP's version of what happened, I believe the comment about lack of fuel saving from all the liquor, but the following statement I am not sure about: He doesn't care; it's not his problem, pay up or shut up, he said. He also said he hates passengers who are problem makers. No one else heard him say this, but you were able to overhear the FA's talkng about you from the galley? If the flight was full as you stated I would think that someone else had to hear him say that to you. Was he rude, probably, but I do not believe the "pay up or shut up" comment....

I wrote down what he said as he said it. I stand by what I wrote. Others heard it and remarked about his behavior. He was rude and wrong. He was a big, poorly dressed loud mouthed guy--hard not to notice. You can believe what you want.

HRDiva

And that is why the new US Airways is doomed to fail. You can't unbundle and gouge business travelers at the same time. You have to unbundle only if you are going to charge low fares.

So, if the front line employee is not empowered to make a decision that makes SENSE, then it will result in lost business. You not only lost my business, but most of the business of my company. I didn't ask for anything that was radical. I asked to be boarded so I could ensure an overhead bin. Heck, since on the flight the day before they didn't care about unattended bags, someone could have volunteered to take my bag on board and stow it for me! You guys are inconsistent and clinging to rules that make no business sense!

I don't care about my Dividend Miles--I don't use them and have no intention of using them. I don't need them. I care about value for my dollar. I paid full fare plus and should be treated accordingly. You may disagree, but I am the customer and I get to call the shots on this one since I get to pull my and my company's business away from US Airways.

Have a good day--I am done on this topic!

HRDiva

Not that this has anything to do with you being unsatisfied with your service, but why did you pay $950 for a last minute ticket if your husband works for Southwest? I'm sorry you wanted the flight attendants to give you things for free and they would not. This is the new airline. You don't have to like it. But if you want to go non stop from PHL to CLT you pretty much don't have a choice. Why would you book a flight that left you only a 15 minute train connection? You have a husband that used to work for the company. You should know more than anyone that probably isn't going to work. The F/A's don't have control over management decisions. You are asking them to break the "new" rules for you because you had a high dollar ticket. The company has observers flying around now to make sure the F/A's are following procedures. It is not their fault. I hope you will find satisfaction with whatever airline you choose next time. This is a new world and times they are a changing. Please don't blame the frontline employees for corporate decisions. Yes there are a few cranky employees out there. But for the most part people that i've run into seem to be happy. The job is thankless. I watched a F/A get "the finger" shoved in her face yesterday because she made a passenger put her bag in the overhead instead of keeping at her feet in the bulkhead row. So please cut them some slack. Asking about drink policies when you already know what they are doesn't make things better. There are Starbucks and concession stands in every airport. Just bring it with you if you don't want to pay the airline. Again, i'm sorry you feel you were owed something more. Good luck in the future.

What a nice post, you're so classy. :wub:

OK, I did not book a flight with a tight train connection. I booked my flight. This morning my boss, the owner of the company, asked me to be a part of a very important meeting. I told him of my flight plans and said that I would do my best to get the first train out when we arrived. Unfortunately, I had to get the next train out due to the GA's lack of empowerment or else just lack of caring. And while he told me I should have booked the $15 exit row seats, they were already gone.

I did not ask for anything for free. I just expressed my concern over the policy. The FA lashed out at me with a diatribe about Exxon Mobil. Yes he was gay--he said so. That is why he chose to leave the Marines and not take a high powered position that would require him to travel to the Pentagon, so he said. I don't care about that. I care about the attitude of the company that does not empower employees to take care of customers who pay high fares.

Oh, and my husband does not work for SWA--they don't unbundle. See you assume so much and are so very wrong GuntherA320. Again, FA's getting fingers shoved in their face is unfortunate, but not the issue I am presenting. That is like the GA saying to me that he has another passenger with a 10 minute connection. That is not the issue.

Yes it is a new airline. The model stinks--don't you get it?

This will be a case for HBR.

First of all, you bought a plane ticket, and whatever your plans were outside that plane ticket, some forward thinking might have been wise. If you said that you would do your best to make it to that meeting and you couldn't get to that train fast enough, you should have either allowed more time instead of asking everyone else to bend rules to accomodate your whims.

If your post is 100% accurate, I would have to wonder if perhaps you weren't rude and difficult yourself, because I find it very hard to believe that every employee you encounter would be so brash and rude. I'm not saying you're lying, but it appears you were posting because you were angry that you didn't get your way.

The gate agents don't have a lack of empowerment, or a lack of caring, they know that not everyone wants to board at the end of the process. No one wants to lose overhead space, but unfortunately there just isn't enough for everyone. Period. The high tier fliers get the higher zones as one of their few perks. If you paid $950 for your last minute ticket, you agreed to the terms of the ticket before you paid that fare. If you were assigned in a higher zone, since the plane loads from back to front, you would have been assigned to a row in the aft of the aircraft and therefore would have had to wait for everyone to deplane - - saving you no time at all. You just wanted to board when you wanted to board, period, and you didn't get to.

The drink policy can't go by fares paid, how do you expect the FAs to know what you paid for each ticket? The gates can print a list of FF's for them, but that's it. Do you expect them to know why you're flying too? Perhaps someone flyiing for a funeral should get better treatment then someone who is flying for a job interview? Wait, the person flying for the funeral bought their ticket three months ago....would it be out of bounds for the FA to call them out on that obvious lie?

There has to be policy, there has to be rules. There will always be people who don't like following them. However, as the airlines do what they can to survive, it seems like the passengers' sense of entitlement gets out of control. The fact of the matter is, you still bought a ticket during these times of change. I would advise you to look at the policies closer before paying out your hard-earned money. The USA today from August 12th has a great article on every airline and what their policies and charges are for.

You bought a ticket from point A to point B. You did not buy a license to belittle other human beings. You have no right to shove them around, no right to ask them to break rules that are across-the-board. Some people (not necessarily you) seem to think that it is okay to call the gate agent a nasty word, but when the gate agent decides they are finished dealing with them, they start screaming bad customer service. You get what you give, and tactfulness and dimplomacy go so much greater distances than a hot head. Were you sarcastic, maybe?Is it possible your frustration with your tight schedule bled out and make you sound harsher than you intended? You seem to have come in contact with ALL jerk employees ALL day. I just have a hard time believing there are that many rude people, and perhaps you should have written names down and tried to handle it with customer relations. If that happened the way you say it did, then I would have handled that the first free moment I got. Employees in any aspect of the service industry should not behave that way. Chances are, that rude employee is getting all kinds of bad letters, since they come in contact with thousands of people weekly, and that bad attitude will NOT fly. If you don't write the letter, nothing will happen, and posting on this board won't help your cause, whatever it is.

If you worked at Wachovia, can I expect you to waive my overdraft fees because I didn't realize that suddenly my boss wanted to go to lunch and I wanted to pay and I forgot to check the available funds? (JetGuyinCLT used this example once)

Since I work at Wendy's , should I give you an extra meat patty because the gas you paid to get there was more expensive than the person behind you who walked?

If the staff were as rude as you say they were, it's truly unfortunate. I do not think they would have very much job longevity, though, so you can rest assured those kinds of people tend to weed themselves out. Do you believe in Karma or God? One of the two will take care of those types. Don't worry about that.

I am going to assume you're not one of those people that just got mad and blasted everyone else out for just doing their job and hope that you will give the industry another chance. The changes have affected everyone, go google "i hate (insert airline here)" and you'll find similar complaints for every airline. Even the beloved Southwest.

Flying isn't natural, so a grandiose sense of entitlement shouldn't be either.(in general, not necessarily speaking for you personally)

I just hope you and your future transactions with air travel bring you a more positive experience, wherever you go.

Come to Wendy's, I would never be rude.

I've been reading this thread and I have to say several things bother me. It's not anyone's place to forward info about any employee based on info posted by someone on this board. You weren't there and you are just going by this persons account. There are always three sides to every story. I'm not saying this individual is a liar but who knows if they are embellishing. Point is it's not your place to give out private info regarding any employee... that bugs the sh*t out of me.

As for the OP...I don't know. I'm getting some serious EB vibes from you. You keep mentioning the cost of your ticket and your boss being the owner of the company etc. I could almost picture the way you were behaving. Maybe that FA was a complete jerk to you or maybe he wasn't. Maybe you wrote this up for dramatic effect because lets face it everyone loves a good story and we can't have anything posted on USAV that actually paints US in a good light. Maybe I'm just a little jaded and over the whining because I bend over backwards for EB types like you but get called a b*tch or have racial epithets hurled my way because you can't have your way.

Sorry but I have to call shenanigans on your post.

The drink policy can't go by fares paid, how do you expect the FAs to know what you paid for each ticket?
Wrong! US is incompetent.WN is able to do that. Get this..their business select customers print out a drink coupon when they print their boarding pass!!! Can you believe that technology!!!

Good god have mercy!! What a *^%$#@ experience. I am so sorry.

Please accept my apologizes for that corrupt and lazy crew.

I don't know how the gay factor got thrown in there but that's uncalled for too. Way too much information and unprofessional.

We are empowered far more than most people realize. We can pretty much give you anything unless it's nailed down. Within reason.

Once again....I am sorry that happened to you.

Ok so I could you see you possibly calling the crew lazy, but corrupt?? Where did you get that from the post?

What a nice response, I agree there are some bad apples...their days are numbered. Lost, sorry you had a bad experience. PM me the flights and dates and I will look into seeing that those folks work at McDonalds soon.

So you are only getting one side of the situation and are rushing to have these people work at McDonalds?? real nice.

And that is why the new US Airways is doomed to fail. You can't unbundle and gouge business travelers at the same time. You have to unbundle only if you are going to charge low fares.

So, if the front line employee is not empowered to make a decision that makes SENSE, then it will result in lost business. You not only lost my business, but most of the business of my company. I didn't ask for anything that was radical. I asked to be boarded so I could ensure an overhead bin. Heck, since on the flight the day before they didn't care about unattended bags, someone could have volunteered to take my bag on board and stow it for me! You guys are inconsistent and clinging to rules that make no business sense!

I don't care about my Dividend Miles--I don't use them and have no intention of using them. I don't need them. I care about value for my dollar. I paid full fare plus and should be treated accordingly. You may disagree, but I am the customer and I get to call the shots on this one since I get to pull my and my company's business away from US Airways.

Have a good day--I am done on this topic!

HRDiva

Thank you for flying USAirways back in January 2007 and again recently. Now you can donate those unwanted frequent flier miles to a worthwhile charity.....like the Foster Foundation that provides tickets to wounded soldiers' family members to visit them in the hospital.

You are a specimen of the most common problem on board the airplane these days. You have an unwarranted sense of entitlement. You bought a ticket. The transportation was provided. You engaged (baited, maybe?) the flight attendants in the back who responded inappropriately. THAT seems to be the only legitimate complaint that you have.

Many people these days seem have to forgotten what "personal responsibility" is. If you needed to be there earlier then you should have planned accordingly and dumping the collateral damage from your boss on USAirways seems to me, misplaced.

You vented on the USAirways board and expect to find 100% backing of your situation?

Your concerns were responded to by various professional employees for our company yet you kept...."but, but, but". Write to Customer Service. Even if they send you a voucher because you were a squeaky wheel, know that your expectations were far too high and unreasonable in regard to your request for special boarding etc.

You are a specimen of the most common problem on board the airplane these days. You have an unwarranted sense of entitlement. You bought a ticket. The transportation was provided. You engaged (baited, maybe?) the flight attendants in the back who responded inappropriately. THAT seems to be the only legitimate complaint that you have.
Wow! Blaming the customer seems rather self-defeating. You will, ultimately, lose. US is not SWA and you are not the CEO.

Hi Everyone!!!
I'm enjoying my summer off thanks to outsoursing to Costa Rica, but the feds are paying for me to go to computer school and learn new softward. Anyway, I haven't visited ya'll in awhile and my Mom will be traveling first class next month on a bought ticket. Now, does she have to pay for her drinks?? Just wondering so I can tell her. Have a good day everyone. Life outside of US is great. Even getting laid off is okay--still no stress.

A classis example of you get what you give;

I was working a flt to SJU during the fabulous cutover to QIK and it was late(dont remember why) but we were a mess because of cutover and a nasty lady was complaining to me and I asked for her patience because we had a new computer system and we would help her as soon as we could....her response was thats not my problem help me now.....

Well when I got back to the gate she again attacked me complaining she was going to miss her cruise...what were we going to do for her....will we refund her cruise????

My response was "I'm sorry maam,,as far as we knew you were going to SJU...We will get you to SJU as far as the cruise you'll have to call the cruise line

So you get what you give