Trip Report 8/6-8/7

lostplanetairman

Advanced
Jan 12, 2005
So I had my r/t PHL to CLT for a grand total of $950.

The outbound A321 was full. I, on a last minute ticket got row 32, boarding zone 5. There were three FA's in the back--two were men. One was an ex-Marine (he told us so). They were also remarking about how much extra liquor was put on board for this 8:30 AM flight. They joked that there was to be no fuel savings here. The last vacant overheads were not really vacant because they were filled with pillows. The male FA's just stood there as we struggled to figure out what to do with the pillows. I just pushed enough aside and compacted them to get in my case. Those that followed threw them on any vacant seats. The FA's had to collect them later. Someone left a large bag on my seat. It did not belong to any passenger--I indicated as such to the FA. The non-Marine shrugged his shoulder and told me to put it under my seat. I told him I had my own purse to go under my seat. He told me to just deal with it. So much for unattended bags.

I was seated next to a couple who were flying LAS to FAY. Their r/t tix cost $230 each.

I politely inquired about the drink policy as it related to those of us on high priced tickets. The FA (ex Marine) told me that regarding the drink policy: He's not the complaint department; passengers should complain to Exxon Mobil and that company policy is that he can't give so much as a drop of water to anyone who does not pay. It doesn't matter if they paid $2,000 to travel PHL to CLT. He doesn't care; it's not his problem, pay up or shut up, he said. He also said he hates passengers who are problem makers. Yes, that is what he said--I wrote it down. They completed beverage service to a full A321 in under 10 minutes. Then they all settled back a row behind me in the galley and said that the passenger in row 32 had some nerve questioning the drink policy just because she paid a lot of money for her ticket. Then the female FA said that she liked the new policy because the work was done so much more quickly. They settled back and shared military stories the rest of the flight.

Today, I'm on a A319 and in row 7 of a full flight. Again I'm zone 5. So I asked the GA how the zones are assigned. He said I should not have been a 5 yesterday. I told him that I was on a really tight schedule today and was afraid that by the time I got as a zone 5 the overheads would be full and I could not afford to have my bag gate checked as I'd miss my train connection. He told me he had another passenger with a ten minute connection (OK--how is that addressing my problem?). Then he told me I could buy the exit row for more money. I told him I already paid a lot of money. He said, "I don't care. Everyone is the same. You have to pay."

The FA's were miserable; no eye contact. They rushed through the aisle and completed the service in 5 minutes. It was only a 319.

I missed my connection (train).

So, here are my thoughts.

I used to be a CP. I haven't flown USAirways since Jan, 2007. I NEVER will again! I fly a lot for business. They lost my business.

Unbundling is fine. But don't say you have to treat everyone the same and still force people to buy outrageously priced tickets. Everyone I encountered was so miserable. No one appeared to be empowered to do anything outside of rigid rules. They would rather throw out the nearly full pot of coffee than offer it to someone who paid a lot of money for their ticket. That is so stupid, imho.

I'm married to a Captain at the unbundled of all unbundled airlines (used to work for US Airways--he was so proud to do so--where did that airline go?). But they don't charge $475 to go 449 miles! And I have personally witnessed them exercising reasonable judgment outside of the rules.

I wish you all the best. It breaks my heart.

HRDiva

I used to be a CP. I haven't flown USAirways since Jan, 2007. I NEVER will again! I fly a lot for business. They lost my business.

Unbundling is fine. But don't say you have to treat everyone the same and still force people to buy outrageously priced tickets. Everyone I encountered was so miserable. No one appeared to be empowered to do anything outside of rigid rules. They would rather throw out the nearly full pot of coffee than offer it to someone who paid a lot of money for their ticket. That is so stupid, imho.

I'm married to a Captain at the unbundled of all unbundled airlines (used to work for US Airways--he was so proud to do so--where did that airline go?). But they don't charge $475 to go 449 miles! And I have personally witnessed them exercising reasonable judgment outside of the rules.

HRDiva

Not that this has anything to do with you being unsatisfied with your service, but why did you pay $950 for a last minute ticket if your husband works for Southwest? I'm sorry you wanted the flight attendants to give you things for free and they would not. This is the new airline. You don't have to like it. But if you want to go non stop from PHL to CLT you pretty much don't have a choice. Why would you book a flight that left you only a 15 minute train connection? You have a husband that used to work for the company. You should know more than anyone that probably isn't going to work. The F/A's don't have control over management decisions. You are asking them to break the "new" rules for you because you had a high dollar ticket. The company has observers flying around now to make sure the F/A's are following procedures. It is not their fault. I hope you will find satisfaction with whatever airline you choose next time. This is a new world and times they are a changing. Please don't blame the frontline employees for corporate decisions. Yes there are a few cranky employees out there. But for the most part people that i've run into seem to be happy. The job is thankless. I watched a F/A get "the finger" shoved in her face yesterday because she made a passenger put her bag in the overhead instead of keeping at her feet in the bulkhead row. So please cut them some slack. Asking about drink policies when you already know what they are doesn't make things better. There are Starbucks and concession stands in every airport. Just bring it with you if you don't want to pay the airline. Again, i'm sorry you feel you were owed something more. Good luck in the future.

Not that this has anything to do with you being unsatisfied with your service, but why did you pay $950 for a last minute ticket if your husband works for Southwest? I'm sorry you wanted the flight attendants to give you things for free and they would not. This is the new airline. You don't have to like it. But if you want to go non stop from PHL to CLT you pretty much don't have a choice. Why would you book a flight that left you only a 15 minute train connection? You have a husband that used to work for the company. You should know more than anyone that probably isn't going to work. The F/A's don't have control over management decisions. You are asking them to break the "new" rules for you because you had a high dollar ticket. The company has observers flying around now to make sure the F/A's are following procedures. It is not their fault. I hope you will find satisfaction with whatever airline you choose next time. This is a new world and times they are a changing. Please don't blame the frontline employees for corporate decisions. Yes there are a few cranky employees out there. But for the most part people that i've run into seem to be happy. The job is thankless. I watched a F/A get "the finger" shoved in her face yesterday because she made a passenger put her bag in the overhead instead of keeping at her feet in the bulkhead row. So please cut them some slack. Asking about drink policies when you already know what they are doesn't make things better. There are Starbucks and concession stands in every airport. Just bring it with you if you don't want to pay the airline. Again, i'm sorry you feel you were owed something more. Good luck in the future.

What a nice response, I agree there are some bad apples...their days are numbered. Lost, sorry you had a bad experience. PM me the flights and dates and I will look into seeing that those folks work at McDonalds soon.

Wooo Nelly! I'm so glad I'm typing this from the AAdmirals Club at O'Hare. Sure... I could have taken the 130pm'ish nonstop to PHL on US, but I chose to fly AA from my West coast origination leaving an hour earlier and arriving PHL later with a connection. Go figure. I'm sure I'm not alone.....

This kind of crap and attitude is going to doom my once-favorite airline....Good luck to you all.

In my expert opinion, the FAs on your trip totally sucked.

I agree!! First of all, anyone that has to say he is an ex marine so many times is a little afraid someone might think he is the gay f/a. :lol: Secondly, I don't know of ANY f/a's that don't take out the pillows and blankets and put them on the seats.

To the OP, sorry you had what looks like idiots f/a's.

OK, I did not book a flight with a tight train connection. I booked my flight. This morning my boss, the owner of the company, asked me to be a part of a very important meeting. I told him of my flight plans and said that I would do my best to get the first train out when we arrived. Unfortunately, I had to get the next train out due to the GA's lack of empowerment or else just lack of caring. And while he told me I should have booked the $15 exit row seats, they were already gone.

I did not ask for anything for free. I just expressed my concern over the policy. The FA lashed out at me with a diatribe about Exxon Mobil. Yes he was gay--he said so. That is why he chose to leave the Marines and not take a high powered position that would require him to travel to the Pentagon, so he said. I don't care about that. I care about the attitude of the company that does not empower employees to take care of customers who pay high fares.

Oh, and my husband does not work for SWA--they don't unbundle. See you assume so much and are so very wrong GuntherA320. Again, FA's getting fingers shoved in their face is unfortunate, but not the issue I am presenting. That is like the GA saying to me that he has another passenger with a 10 minute connection. That is not the issue.

Yes it is a new airline. The model stinks--don't you get it?

This will be a case for HBR.

The outbound A321 was full. I, on a last minute ticket got row 32, boarding zone 5. There were three FA's in the back--two were men. One was an ex-Marine (he told us so). They were also remarking about how much extra liquor was put on board for this 8:30 AM flight. They joked that there was to be no fuel savings here. The last vacant overheads were not really vacant because they were filled with pillows. The male FA's just stood there as we struggled to figure out what to do with the pillows. I just pushed enough aside and compacted them to get in my case. Those that followed threw them on any vacant seats. The FA's had to collect them later. Someone left a large bag on my seat. It did not belong to any passenger--I indicated as such to the FA. The non-Marine shrugged his shoulder and told me to put it under my seat. I told him I had my own purse to go under my seat. He told me to just deal with it. So much for unattended bags.

I was seated next to a couple who were flying LAS to FAY. Their r/t tix cost $230 each.

I politely inquired about the drink policy as it related to those of us on high priced tickets. The FA (ex Marine) told me that regarding the drink policy: He's not the complaint department; passengers should complain to Exxon Mobil and that company policy is that he can't give so much as a drop of water to anyone who does not pay. It doesn't matter if they paid $2,000 to travel PHL to CLT. He doesn't care; it's not his problem, pay up or shut up, he said. He also said he hates passengers who are problem makers. Yes, that is what he said--I wrote it down. They completed beverage service to a full A321 in under 10 minutes. Then they all settled back a row behind me in the galley and said that the passenger in row 32 had some nerve questioning the drink policy just because she paid a lot of money for her ticket. Then the female FA said that she liked the new policy because the work was done so much more quickly. They settled back and shared military stories the rest of the flight.

Today, I'm on a A319 and in row 7 of a full flight. Again I'm zone 5. So I asked the GA how the zones are assigned. He said I should not have been a 5 yesterday. I told him that I was on a really tight schedule today and was afraid that by the time I got as a zone 5 the overheads would be full and I could not afford to have my bag gate checked as I'd miss my train connection. He told me he had another passenger with a ten minute connection (OK--how is that addressing my problem?). Then he told me I could buy the exit row for more money. I told him I already paid a lot of money. He said, "I don't care. Everyone is the same. You have to pay."

The FA's were miserable; no eye contact. They rushed through the aisle and completed the service in 5 minutes. It was only a 319.

HRDiva

Good god have mercy!! What a *^%$#@ experience. I am so sorry.

Please accept my apologizes for that corrupt and lazy crew.

I don't know how the gay factor got thrown in there but that's uncalled for too. Way too much information and unprofessional.

We are empowered far more than most people realize. We can pretty much give you anything unless it's nailed down. Within reason.

Once again....I am sorry that happened to you.

Way too much information and unprofessional.

That reminds me of flight I was on a few years ago where the "A" told me that she lives out where you can hear crickets fart and then showed me pictures, in a photo album, of her taking her bra off at a concert she attended.

That reminds me of flight I was on a few years ago where the "A" told me that she lives out where you can hear crickets fart and then showed me pictures, in a photo album, of her taking her bra off at a concert she attended.

Or it could have been a NASCAR race!

The outbound A321 was full. I, on a last minute ticket got row 32, boarding zone 5.

Just curious how last minute the ticket was. There are seats held for day of departure, even on a full flight, but once people start checking in 24 hours ahead of time and day of departure all bets are off on getting a "good" seat. If you bought your ticket and checked in online, you should have been given the option of getting a "Choice Seat" for purchase, unless they were preassigned to Preferred customers or already purchased by customers checking in ahead of you. Unfortunately, once the seats run out, you get whats left, even if you walk up 35 mins before dept and buy a ticket. They do not hold seats for last minute purchase customers within the 24 hour window.

Today, I'm on a A319 and in row 7 of a full flight. Again I'm zone 5. So I asked the GA how the zones are assigned. He said I should not have been a 5 yesterday.

Zones are done by reverse triangle sortof and will vary by aircraft type. FC and CHM/PLT/GOLD are Zone 1 (I think bulkhead is also since they have to store items above, but am not positive). Zone 2 are Silvers, OA Preferreds, Preferred CC Holders. Zone 3 then starts with back windows for a couple rows and also somewhere in the middle, exit window too. Then back middle is 4 middle middle 4 etc. Zone 5 is back aisle and front windows, 6 is middle aisle and front middle, etc. The last zones will be the front aisle seats. Of course, if the Preferreds have prereserved these seats, they'll be on with a 1 or 2. I found boarding passes from a 320 flight this week and the middle exit seat was Zone 4 with the aisle Zone 6. If you want a lower zone, you need to choose a window in the back.

Unfortunately the company hasnt set a policy or procedure in place to differenciate between a $99 coach ticket and a $400 coach ticket. If its coach, its coach. The flight crew would currently have no way of knowing what each customer paid for their ticket either (neither does an agent unless we specifically pull up your eticket and check it). Also, not saying that you or anyone on here would do such a thing, but I have people telling me all the time that they are Preferred or bought their ticket before the fee date and shouldnt have to pay. After a little research, I have had a couple that were entitled to a free bag (ff number not entered correctly or ticket bought on Jul 8th late in the day), but the majority are just trying to not pay even though they did not fit within the waiver guidelines. Some just flat out lied to me. :shock: It would take quite a feat for our IT dept to get it where the crew could tell who paid "a lot" for their ticket and then they'd have to decide just what "a lot" is. Break it down by origin and destination, mileage flown, rate paid, etc. I can say it probably isnt going to happen.
The crews you had sounded terrible and I'm sorry that you had a bad trip. This was the total opposite from my experience this past weekend. Sometimes the employees need to just say I'm sorry, unfortunately I do not decide the rules or policy, point out the address in the back of the magazine and move on. You dont make the rules, have no control over them, so dont take it so personal. (I know thats very hard to do sometimes, but in many instances you make things worse by getting all defensive).

Thanks for the convoluted seating explanation. I could not understand it as the LCC's who want to do 30 minute turns board so differently! But then, they do 30 minute turns and are efficient!

I bought the ticket late 8/5 for travel early on 8/6 with a return on 8/7. I wasn't worried about the choice seat going to CLT. I wasn't complaining that I was in row 32. I did find it offensive that the FA's stood by and watched as we struggled to adjust and remove the pillows when they knew the flight was full. I did find it offensive when the FA instructed me to put a strange bag under my seat in violation of all the security rules. My question then was about the drink policy. I didn't ask for a drink. Given the FA's response, I knew never to question it again as he went ballistic.

My issue with boarding priority was on the return. It only came up because my boss, the owner of the company, called very eary in the AM to ask me to be present at a meeting. So I was trying to ensure that I could be there. I was concerned that, despite the fact that I was in row 7, I was a priority 5. The GA told me about the option to purchase choice seating which is also absurd when you are being robbed blind for your ticket--but they were gone. The GA offered no help other than to tell me had other problems more pressing than mine and that we are all the same.

I understand that GA's and FA's would not know what a passenger paid. But when you have your receipt with you with the price clearly displayed.....and you are still told that everyone is treated the same.....again this will be a classic for HBR. We are all the same but we still get gouged. I love it!

The attitude stinks!

HRDiva

So what airline does your hubby work for...

and I'm sorry to hear you had a crappy experience on US Airways, I'd like to apologize on behalf of most 35,000 hard working us airways employees that actually care.

Is the CLT to PHL leg a "lower senority" flight? I had this leg last week, and I was in First on a 767, and the female flight attendant was superior, while the two guys that were up front were young (yes young on US - Who Knew?) and not very friendly.