Off Topic Tangent - (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

star power

Advanced
Dec 9, 2005
Overweight landing inspections are taken very seriously, and an overweight landing is avoided whenever possible. Not only for safety reasons, but because of the time involved in the inspection.

But there is no doubt that a heavier airplane needs more runway to stop.

As a side issue, a full tank is much less explosive than a tank with air space containing fuel vapor. But a full tank can spill more fuel if ruptured. And a full tank is more likely to rupture due to the weight and stresses involved. Sort of a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't, as far as fire or explosion danger.
lets do a timeline for a o/w landing. wake me from my nap, get a cup of coffee, hit the lav, find the right a/c, talk to the crew about 30 min, ask crew is it written up and what is the wording in the log book or on a napkin,coffee break, try to find manual requirement on o/w check(junk computers) print out 20 pages(junk printers)coffee break, read o/w manual check, hit lav again, get new flashlight battries for chrck, supply door lock, call supply clerk, coffee break, 45 min later clerk arrives, paper work for flashlight battries needs to be fill out, ink pen went inop, find ink pen, more supply paper work, get back to the a/c a start check, super come out and ask what are you doing, (o/w check) wait, I'll get you some help, 1 hour pass, and help show up, one person, what's going on, the a/c need a o/w check, where the manual, coffee break, new person needs new flashlight battries, back to supply clerk, supply clerk gone, see super, need supply clerk for new battries, super say don't know their number (it there lunchtime) one person go back to start o/w check, supply clerk lunch over, second person get new battries, second person arrives at a/c and ask the first person what do you want me to do check the ldg/engs/pylons/tail I'll get the fuse, look at watch, lunchtime break, 30 min clean up, 30 min lunch, 30 min clean up and read o/w manual check infromation again, start check again, 75% done, coffee break, hit lav again, return to the a/c but its gone, super say it took to long we cancel the flight,(291 PAX), oh well it take time to do the o/w check, well it almost time to go home, the next shift can handle it, they will be fresh. BYE.

And we wonder why mechanic career's are being outsourced? If guys would WORK toward the problem rather than slacking off, most airlines wouldn't be nearly the mess they are in today.

Back when I was a new hire at TWA in the STL hangar, I was approached by other mechanics who said I needed to slow down and take it easy. They told me I was "making them look bad". My comment was get off your ass and work! That's what you're being paid to do!

An honest days work for an honest days pay never killed anyone..

I would hope that the post you are responding to was in jest. I have seen everything he mentions, but not all in one event, particularly an overweight landing. Overweight landings are right up there with lightning strikes as urgency generators and manpower-eaters. Everybody runs around and the phone rings three times as much.

I should add here that at line stations, the terminal mechs are usually what we could call "action junkies", or something akin. As such, they are either selected by management for their abilities and inclinations or seek out the action themselves. The type of behavior star power is evoking is more likely to be found at heavier checks or overhaul, where there is less a sense of urgency.

In attempting to entertain, star power has painted an unflattering picture of his work group.

Hey Starpower,

Why not take it the other way as well? MX gets call out for an aircrft that had an overweight lndg. AMT shows up at A/C, AMT then does brief walk around grabs pen and logbook and whips it! Hows that for safety?

I have been working line MX for over 20 years, and I have never seen either extreme. Every work group has some people with attitude related issues. The way things are now and have been for many years, either extreme would be damn near impossible to get away with. Especially given the potential for an FAA investigation for air interupt etc..

I would hope that the post you are responding to was in jest. I have seen everything he mentions, but not all in one event, particularly an overweight landing. Overweight landings are right up there with lightning strikes as urgency generators and manpower-eaters. Everybody runs around and the phone rings three times as much.

I should add here that at line stations, the terminal mechs are usually what we could call "action junkies", or something akin. As such, they are either selected by management for their abilities and inclinations or seek out the action themselves. The type of behavior star power is evoking is more likely to be found at heavier checks or overhaul, where there is less a sense of urgency.

In attempting to entertain, star power has painted an unflattering picture of his work group.

The action was what made the job fun.

We never made a lot of money but at one time we made a fair wage and it was a fun place to work.

Its amazing how fast time goes by when you are trying to beat it!

Sadly I suspect that the scenario that Star Power describes may become more the norm as a defeated demoralized workforce no longer sees getting the plane out as a fun challenge but instead satisfys their desire for challenge by doing to the company what the company did to them, with passnger inconvienance as the collateral damage.

I have heard several times lately that when an airplane was in trouble, they had to circle for several hours to burn fuel before they could land. I know this is to lighten the a/c so as to not damage the landing gear. Isn’t there an easier and quicker way to do this? I thought I remember hearing about a way for the cockpit to open a valve and vent the fuel. My understanding is that if done at a high enough altitude, the fuel vaporizes before it hits the ground. If there is a problem, isn’t it best to get on the ground as quick as possible instead of circling for hours?

Somethig the Jack of All Trades didn't know! I thought you knew everything Mr. Garfy?

You have got to be the biggest idiot at AA! You have no clue as to what is going on, outside of the compound. You didn't even know what planes could dump fuel! Several of us on here know your true identity and I am one of them. It's just to bad the moderators don't have a board that allows us to say things we can't otherwise say.

Run a long, you have crews to assign. Is that another SK call coming in? Better run along before a Senior on Duty, smacks you upside the head for being dumb.

You have got to be the biggest idiot at AA! You have no clue as to what is going on, outside of the compound. You didn't even know what planes could dump fuel! Several of us on here know your true identity and I am one of them. It's just to bad the moderators don't have a board that allows us to say things we can't otherwise say.

Run a long, you have crews to assign. Is that another SK call coming in? Better run along before a Senior on Duty, smacks you upside the head for being dumb.

QUOTE(B.O.B. @ Dec 29 2006, 01:57 PM)

Moderator, please shut my account down so I don't have to deal with these stupid pro-compAAny AA fools. Thank you.

QUOTE(B.O.B. @ Dec 29 2006, 01:57 PM)

Moderator, please shut my account down so I don't have to deal with these stupid pro-compAAny AA fools. Thank you.

I guess since you don't know how to type, you just copy and paste. Get a life.

Since you two insist on taking your personal problems public, we might as well make the warning public as well. One more post of the same from either of you and you will be suspended. Enough already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back