Operations Normal

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Operations Normal

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways flight operations have been back to normal since Monday and delayed baggage is on its way to customers with thousands of claims settled.

With extremely heavy passenger loads above 85 percent on both Monday and Tuesday, the number of flight cancellations was minimal at eight yesterday and 27 on Monday, when there was heavy snowfall in Boston and Providence. As of mid-day today, US Airways flights were arriving as scheduled 82 percent of the time with only two cancellations.

Front-line employees and managers from around the system have rallied to assist wherever they can to help get customers and their bags on their way.

Captains George Welsch and Ron Miller, for instance, came to the Charlotte airport in uniform on their day off to help the Customer Service group deliver misconnected luggage. Flight attendants Michelle Gallant and Helen Fritsch are staffing a hospitality booth set up in the baggage claim area at the Charlotte Airport. Denise O’Sullivan, sales manager in Norfolk, offered to help out in Fort Lauderdale while she was there, and sent this message to all employees: "Tell the troops to keep the faith."

US Airways management employees have reported in for duty at airports to help direct customers, to answer questions at baggage claim offices and offer assistance wherever needed to complement frontline employees who have been working extremely hard this week.

In response to the overwhelming response by employees desiring to help the company recover from the operational disruption last week, the company has put into place a process for those wanting to assist. About 150 employees so far have committed to Operation Recovery.

"We are very grateful to these generous employees, who are willing to give up time off on a holiday weekend and to all our front-line employees who for days have been working beyond the call of duty. Their dedication and team spirit is an indication of the professionalism of our employees," said CEO Bruce Lakefield.

We have established two groups to respond to the current situation. One group is focusing on operations and performing related administrative functions.

(Employees who wish to volunteer should call dialnet 359-3020 or 1-800-327-0117 and choose prompts +1+5+8+2. Calls are taken between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.)
The other group is handling customer relations functions such as meeting and greeting, directing traffic and responding to questions or concerns. (Employees who wish to volunteer should call dialnet 872-5067 or 872-7411 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.)

In both initiatives, the efforts are voluntary. Anyone who volunteers on a day off will not be paid. Because media reports about the volunteer program were misinterpreted, the company issued a Special Bulletin this morning to clarify that any employee who is already on the schedule to work over the weekend will be paid as usual, including overtime pay, if applicable.

Volunteer Clarification

ARLINGTON (US Daily) - The Associated Press ran a story on Tuesday evening later picked up by other news media suggesting that the company was asking employees to "work for free" in Philadelphia on New Year's Eve. This unfortunate and erroneous report has many people confused, and we want to clarify this matter.

We have had management employees in Philadelphia since last week helping with the baggage backlog. As we prepare for another busy travel period this coming weekend, we are asking for employee volunteers from around the system to come to Philadelphia to help assist our customers, by greeting them in the airport ticket counter area, answering questions, serving coffee and refreshments, helping at security checkpoints and directing traffic. We know that many frontline employees have been working extra hard this past week, and this effort is designed to supplement that hard work by having extra people on hand to help our customers.

All employees scheduled to work in Philadelphia and at other airports around the system will be paid as is usual and customary, including overtime pay. We have been getting many offers from employees who want to help, and this effort will allow them to assist our customers and provide some support for the Philadelphia station. US Airways regret the confusion.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I am. But before I go to bed I am updating my website with the Daily Airline News Report and then I saw one post I wanted to make on USaviation.com.

By the way, if I am wrong so much like you say, then why do you respond to me within seconds? It seems like you are my shadow...

Interesting, huh...

It's sometimes funny how fear motivates people.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now. Good night.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
I am. But before I go to bed I am updating my website with the Daily Airline News Report and then I saw one post I wanted to make on USaviation.com.

By the way, if I am wrong so much like you say, then why do you respond to me within seconds? It seems like you are my shadow...

Interesting, huh...

It's sometimes funny how fear motivates people.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now. Good night.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="233666"][/post]​

Fear motivates people? In that case then US Airways employees should be the most motivated airline employees on the planet with all the threats coming from CCY and Alabama. Apparently, they were so scared they got sick. :rolleyes:

Nite Nite

Hello.. all..... I dont get it... instead of having employees working for free serving coffee, why not just recall some staff like every other major? Would not that have been cheaper than this mess? I wish everyone the best!

coolflyingfool said:
If you kick a dog long enough, it learns to fear you, not respect you.
[post="233693"][/post]​
yes and that same dog will get tired of the abuse and eventually bite your a$$ :shock:

Maybe I missed it, but did we ever get an answer to the question...

USA320Pilot, are YOU going to show up on a day off to volunteer at the PHL airport for free this weekend?

Bear96:

Bear96 asked: "USA320Pilot, are YOU going to show up on a day off to volunteer at the PHL airport for free this weekend?"

USA320Pilot comments: Yes, just like when I show up to help feed the homeless in Pittsburgh. By the way, the homeless project needs some more volunteers. Since you fly for free, would you come to Pittsburgh and help with this project?

Our family also coordinates our church program to provide Christmas gifts for the needy children. Would you help us with this too?

I do not need to be paid for every volunteer activity, like it appears you and others need to.

US Airways volunteer program started when an internal email message was sent ot MSP employees and has mushroomed where union and hourly paid employees wanted to participate too. Why? Because of malcontent employees who US Airways will likely eliminate soon. As ALPA MEC chairman Bill Pollock said in his chairman's message, " I assure you that your union will demand that the atrocity that occurred in PHL will be fully investigated and those responsible for the damage to our airline will be held accountable for their actions."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot, good for you. Now, do you work at the Light of Life Mission downtown? If so that is a very worthwhile project...been doing it for years. Glad to see you help out in the community as well.

Eye

USA320Pilot said:
Bear96:

Bear96 asked: "USA320Pilot, are YOU going to show up on a day off to volunteer at the PHL airport for free this weekend?"

USA320Pilot comments: Yes, just like when I show up to help feed the homeless in Pittsburgh. By the way, the homeless project needs some more volunteers. Since you fly for free, would you come to Pittsburgh and help with this project?
[post="233759"][/post]​
Thanks for the invite but I have my own charities I donate my time and money to.

I find it interesting you are comparing a (supposedly) for-profit employer to a real charity like a homeless project (can you even tell the difference anymore?), and earlier in another thread when you likened the situation at U to the tsunami situation in Asia right now. My, how far the mighty have fallen. Very sad and thought-provoking.

BTW make sure and let us know what you end up doing in PHL this weekend, and when.

"Operations Normal Since Monday"

I flew the line monday, tuesday, and wednesday. If what I saw, including yesterday's fiasco in PHL, is "normal", then there truly is no hope. Put down the kool-aid cup and take off the blinders; obscuring the truth does nobody any good at this point.

Hundreds of bags waiting to get back to their owner. Check out any baggage claim area. I saw three today. I hope this is not what our customers expect to be normal.

USA320Pilot said:
Operations Normal

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways flight operations have been back to normal since Monday and delayed baggage is on its way to customers with thousands of claims settled.

[post="233661"][/post]​

Whoever wrote this does not get out very much. Some people still have lost luggage from Christmas day. :shock:

Lets be crystal clear here... MOnday December 27 was the all time high for sick calls at 340 for f/a out of any year.....and guess what????

NO CANCELLATIONS?

Why? No weather problems, and this managment decided to "watch the ball" for a change.

This mangment better never blame us again for their inept, inadequate, insufficient, irresponsible, negligent, unprepardness in PHL!!!!

And Pollack sits on the USAirways Board drinks more kool-aid then the stores can produce.

Pilots are blind to still have him sit on the board. You have the ability to find someone else, hold another election AND GET HIM OFF AS AFA DID TO OUR MEC CHAIR.

Can not serve to conflicting bodies.

You don't have to recall him, you can just replace him.

The company love controlling the richest and strongest union on the property, and they do it through POLLOCK!