Us Airways Special Bulletin

USAirUnited

Advanced
Dec 17, 2002
We sincerely apologize for the operational disruptions that have impacted holiday travel. Our efforts to recover from the severe weather on Thursday were complicated when some of our employees chose to call in sick at record numbers over the weekend. We are embarrassed by the situation, especially given the holidays and how important travel is to our customers at this time of the year.

We're addressing this by operating extra flights to transport customer's baggage to Charlotte where we have additional staff. We have also deployed additional managers to Philadelphia to handle baggage, and qualified managers are working as Flight Attendants. Other frontline employees are volunteering to work on their day off to help resolve our staffing issues.

Please be advised that our call centers are experiencing long waits for customers to get through, especially regarding baggage. Customers will be contacted by our delivery companies once they have the customer's bags in hand, to coordinate delivery.

We have kept officials at the Transportation Department briefed regarding the situation and our efforts to help our customers.

We are embarrassed by the situation

They should be embarrassed by the way they treat the people that make this airline run everyday. Maybee Dr. Bronner will realize that we the employees are "US Airways" not some Wall Street has been who was drafted out of retirement and is burdened by this company. This management team lacks leadership and integrity.

I do think it is wrong to call in sick if you are not sick, but I honestly cannot blame the employees for doing it. I do however blame management for a late response and for them treating their employees so poorly for so long hence resulting in this type of activity. Management should look in the mirror first when placing blame and realize their own short comings are biting them. U does not deserve to be an employer. The management at U I feel is really a mess and it most likely would be best to shut it down verses attempting repairing the operation. Incompetence at its best. But then again maybe it should go on as the employees do vote 'yes' for the additional concessions and continue to take the beatings from management.

Guess the PIT hub wasn't really needed after all...... Everyone can go through Philly we just love that airport.

Everyone who called in sick that was not sick should be fired on the spot. The company should do whatever it takes to fire them...let the union take them to court, but this is pathetic.

pitguy said:
...but I honestly cannot blame the employees for doing it. I do however blame management..... Management should look in the mirror first when placing blame and realize their own short comings are biting them. U does not deserve to be an employer.
[post="231583"][/post]​
Then you are simply no better than the pond scum who chose this action over the past twenty four hours.

jack mama said:
Everyone who called in sick that was not sick should be fired on the spot. The company should do whatever it takes to fire them...let the union take them to court, but this is pathetic.
[post="231586"][/post]​

I hope U does just that . . . . . and then gets hit with wrongful termination lawsuits.

Winglet said:
I hope U does just that . . . . . and then gets hit with wrongful termination lawsuits.
[post="231625"][/post]​

*lol* so you think it's kosher to call in sick when you aren't? Boy I wish I could do that at work. I work for a large healthcare employer of about 15,000 across the country, I have to have a doctor's note or I get written up. In the case of a critical time, I may very well get fired.

.......The Arlington, Va.-based airline, which originally cited winter storms, on Saturday blamed the canceled flights and baggage backups on a large number of employees calling in sick.

"We have had an unusually high number of flight attendant sick calls and an unusually high number of bag handler sick calls in Philadelphia," airline spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said. Philadelphia is a US Airways hub.

CapnCockroach said:
700U: Exec'tive Vice Comrade of the S***hole.
[post="231642"][/post]​

Wow, that was real intelligent, NOT!

Partake in too much spiked Egg Nog?

jack mama said:
[post="231586"][/post]​

Hey Charlie Brown, f/as are in the middle of a vote, not wise to start firing anyone. We don't need to compromise a vote out of any back lash or anger.

Knock it off.

I guess those 2 positive space tickets didn't do the Trick this Holiday season...