ORD / DCA to MEX

usfan

Nov 4, 2006
Just saw today on DOT site request from US for renewal of flights from ORD and DCA to Mexico city MEX .
Are we planning to fly there direct on East metall ???
US Airways, Inc.
Howard Kass
1401 H Street, N.W., Suite 1075
Washington DC 20005-2148
Application of US Airways, Inc., requesting renewal of its exemption to engage in scheduled foreign air transportation of persons, property, and mail between the co-terminal points of Washington, DC and Chicago, IL, on the one hand, and the terminal point Mexico City, Mexico, on the other hand. - Answers are due by May 8, 2007

Thats great. Why ORD to MEX?

US is still waiting on DOT approval for DCA to PNS
ORD-MEX is so US can Continue to Code Share on the route. As for DCA-MEX, I would think code share too. I am surprised that they don't fly PHL-MEX. I know US did in the early '90's.

DCA doesn't have customs facilities, does it?

Maybe by Washington DC, they mean IAD,which I assume would just be codesharing with UA.

I wonder how they would do MEX-DCA since DCA is not an international airport (despite what 50% of the flight attendants announce every time we arrive.)

And I don't think MEX has US Customs preclearance like BDA and NAS.
But doesn't US fly DCA-BDA/NAS on weekends? And now Canada?

Those cities all have US customs facilities in those airports that you pre-clear before you even step foot on the plane to go back to the States. The Bahamas, Canada, BDA, and AUA have it, and I believe CUN wants to eventually do that as well

On a side note, I believe US dropped its DCA-YYZ service late last year (again).

A lot of things make DCA-MEX unlikely. Two are short runways in DCA and the elevation in MEX, both reducing take off weights.

Not that U is averse to fuel stops though.

Isn't that what I said? US Customs preclearance like BDA and NAS? And the largest Canadian cities also have US Customs preclearance. That's why BDA, NAS, FPT, AUA (theoretically), YUL, YYZ, and some other Canadian cities can operate into DCA and other US airports that have no customs facilities (like LGA.) The pax clear US Customs at the point of departure before leaving for the US.

Isn't that what I said? US Customs preclearance like BDA and NAS? And the largest Canadian cities also have US Customs preclearance. That's why BDA, NAS, FPT, AUA (theoretically), YUL, YYZ, and some other Canadian cities can operate into DCA and other US airports that have no customs facilities (like LGA.) The pax clear US Customs at the point of departure before leaving for the US.
I must have been a typing when you posted it. Oh well! :rolleyes:

I wonder how they would do MEX-DCA since DCA is not an international airport (despite what 50% of the flight attendants announce every time we arrive.)

Are you sure you are not hearing NATIONAL not International?

The airport IS Ronald Reagan Washington NATIONAL airport!

Latest posts