Outsourcing Inflight Could Be Trouble For All

l8rd8r

Senior
Oct 21, 2005
I posted this topic here and it was moved. I assume it was due to the NW name. I emailed the moderator to ask whay it was moved and have not recieved an answer. This post is getting a lot of feedback from all airlines. If it happens at NW it WILL happen here. Check out the post on NW. Can anyone tell me if this was moved other than the moderator deeming it was the wrong airline. Thanks

"The Wall Street Journal-Oct 26, 05 front page..."F/A's might lose as Northwest works to save $195 million a year...Ailing Carrier seeks savings by pushing veteran staffers (F/A's) off prized overseas routes" Nov 16 they will ask the BK judge to cancel all current contracts. They are also trying to outsource pilots and ground workers.
"The situation at NW is potentially devastating to all f/a's across the country."..."One thing we have learned during this financial crisis in our industry is that proposals like this spread from carrier to carrier like the most virulent disease mankind has ever experienced"-Pat Friend Intl pres AFA
This is not a pretty picture. Granted its management putting presure on unions to accept concessions. But outsourcing is becoming a major trend in other areas of our industry. Is this possible in companies outside of BK?"

i think the reason the mods removed it was because it was mostly about NWA adn their battles. I agree that trouble is only beginning

I so agree - look at reservations. If they get their (mgmt) foot in the door this hiring activity will spread like wild fire. If they were to outsource all intl flights the bottom senority will be all AWA here. The senior F/A's will not leave they will just move to domestic. Regardless of what union represented airline this should be fought and supported by all unions across the board. We are strong together. Lets keep our eyes open on this topic. Almost forgot the Pilots are bait too.

This kind of thing has been going on for decades. TWA & PanAm (Braniff too) both had FA's that were foriegn nationals based at the hubs overseas...I think UAL may have this now for Asia?

Could Fly or someone verify that UAL has/had this situation? I think AMR has South American crews as well?

I posted this topic here and it was moved. I assume it was due to the NW name. I emailed the moderator to ask whay it was moved and have not recieved an answer. This post is getting a lot of feedback from all airlines. If it happens at NW it WILL happen here. Check out the post on NW. Can anyone tell me if this was moved other than the moderator deeming it was the wrong airline. Thanks

"The Wall Street Journal-Oct 26, 05 front page..."F/A's might lose as Northwest works to save $195 million a year...Ailing Carrier seeks savings by pushing veteran staffers (F/A's) off prized overseas routes" Nov 16 they will ask the BK judge to cancel all current contracts. They are also trying to outsource pilots and ground workers.
"The situation at NW is potentially devastating to all f/a's across the country."..."One thing we have learned during this financial crisis in our industry is that proposals like this spread from carrier to carrier like the most virulent disease mankind has ever experienced"-Pat Friend Intl pres AFA
This is not a pretty picture. Granted its management putting presure on unions to accept concessions. But outsourcing is becoming a major trend in other areas of our industry. Is this possible in companies outside of BK?"

NW currently has foreign nationals based at NRT for it's Asia network. So does UA. US based cockpit crews work all the International trips and ONE US based FA works lead FA position on all Asia trips out of NRT, with the exception of the USA bound trips.

Thanks for info WCG!

NW currently has foreign nationals based at NRT for it's Asia network. So does UA. US based cockpit crews work all the International trips and ONE US based FA works lead FA position on all Asia trips out of NRT, with the exception of the USA bound trips.

This kind of thing has been going on for decades. TWA & PanAm (Braniff too) both had FA's that were foriegn nationals based at the hubs overseas...I think UAL may have this now for Asia?

Could Fly or someone verify that UAL has/had this situation? I think AMR has South American crews as well?
UA currently has F/As based in NRT, HKG, LHR, FRA, and CDG (though CDG may be closing as a F/A base in a few months; there used to also be F/A bases in SCL and TPE but they have both closed since 9/11). They can work flights to/from the US, and many of them are Americans. The key difference is that they are all AFA-represented F/As, on the AFA contract, subject to the same work rules and paid the same as any US-based F/A. In addition, UA F/As can transfer between the US and non-US bases just like any other base (subject to local government immigration rules). NW is proposing to staff int'l flights with F/As that are NOT under the same collective bargaining agreement.

UA did have separate "foreign nationals" based in BKK and SIN that could only work intra-Asia, not to/from the US (another crucial difference from what NW is proposing). Contractually, they were limited to no more than (I think) 1.5% of the total F/A population, and had to be laid off before any AFA F/A was furloughed. Due to the post-9/11 furloughs, the BKK and SIN bases were closed. However, I expect they will be reopened soon as all voluntary furloughs are being recalled effective some time this November or December, I think. But the 1.5% and intra-Asia only restrictions would still be in place, at least until UA goes running back to Judge Wedoff about it now that "we have to compete with NW!!"

Bear 96 - Thank you. The non-union part scares the #$@% out of me.

Back