Passenger with baby on open detached jetway

USHenry

Jun 26, 2003
I was quite disturbed on a flight from PHL - BWI on Monday. It was the last flight of the day and, as is typical, we were a bit late for bags and connecting passengers. A gate attendant pulled the jetway away from the 757, and 5 minutes later an approximately 40 year old man walks down the jetway with a baby in his arms. It's a clear, clean drop right down to the tarmac in that situation. Major safety hazard. I can't believe they let him down. I saw the expression on his face. He was VERY angry. We sat there for another 30 minutes loading bags. They never reattached the jetway for him. I didn't understand that. I mentioned my concern to the flight attendant who said that they would not reattach the jetway. But I've been on flights where they HAVE reattached the jetway. Considering that it was the last flight of the day, and we sat there for thirty minutes, why didn't they let the poor man onboard?

----------------
On 6/26/2003 7:39:43 PM cat 111 wrote:

That is why so many passengers are leaving. No one has a clue in upper mgt !!!

----------------​
How typical of a statement from you. I''m guessing that you would blame management if a counter agent got a paper cut.

----------------
On 6/26/2003 7:39:43 PM cat 111 wrote:

That is why so many passengers are leaving. No one has a clue in upper mgt !!!

----------------​
how can you blame any management for this....1st off ..had to be an agent who let this person down the jetway.
2nd, the tower agts as well as supervisors are paid to monitor connections and gates...seems like this ball was dropped at the lower levels...

Without actually being there, I dont see how anyone can know exactly what happened. Was the door left ajar and they guy wandered down? Did an agent let him down knowing the jetway was pulled already? I find it hard to believe someone would not look and see if the jetway was still on before letting someone down. Was the pax rev or nonrev? Maybe someone who worked in PHL that let himself down the jetway? There are just so many possibilities that unless we can get a PHL agent who was working the flight to answer, we''re never going to know.

Guys, don''t listen to CAT III. All he does is put one- liners blaming Management. Look back in previous threads. It''s always, "Strike issue" or "bad management" or "Managements fault". Never even a two sentence opinion.
The fault lies on the gate agent but goes farther into ot than just their fault. I bet they have gotten chewed out so much about delays that they would rather let the man miss hid flight than to get blamed for the delay. If the bags were still getting loaded then it was a loading delay, At least is wasn''t PR.

The word we have is leave the pax and the bags before even taking the risk of delaying the flight.

Doesn''t make sense, if you know the flight is going to be another 5 minutes loading cargo, not to accomodate the pax.

Then again, it''s US Airways - it doesn''t have to make sense.

9.gif

----------------
On 6/27/2003 11:50:15 AM diogenes wrote:

The word we have is leave the pax and the bags before even taking the risk of delaying the flight.

Doesn''t make sense, if you know the flight is going to be another 5 minutes loading cargo, not to accomodate the pax.

Then again, it''s US Airways - it doesn''t have to make sense.

----------------​
Hey diogenes no its not usairways ,delta is even more strict on leaving behind late passengers . Passengers should be on time

----------------
On 7/2/2003 12:57:35 PM 1ab wrote:

Hey diogenes no its not usairways ,delta is even more strict on leaving behind late passengers . Passengers should be on time

----------------​

Read the first post. PHL to BWI! $25 says the poor fellow was trying making a connection. Is it his fault the first flight was late?