No Jetway Driver

Managers are not allowed to operate the jetways because it is a violation of the CWA CBA,
YOU ARE WRONG!
LETTER OF AGREEMENT
INTERIM TRANSITION AGREEMENT
Unscheduled “Helping-hand” assistance by management
Attachment G
IV C
READ IT NOW KNOW IT GET IT RIGHT

I was signed off on jetways several years ago as a ramper. In this situation I'd just pull the jetway up. There's a certain point where common sense has to take over from blind obedience to a CBA, and a medical emergency IMO qualifies for that.
Are you current in I-learning?
Not that it matters in this situation
It is like parking and dispatching aircrafts
Done it many of times but not in fleet service

This isn't a staffing issue as much as a breakdown of judgement issue probabkly by more than one person.

YOU ARE WRONG!
LETTER OF AGREEMENT
INTERIM TRANSITION AGREEMENT
Unscheduled “Helping-hand” assistance by management
Attachment G
IV
READ IT NOW KNOW IT GET IT RIGHTt
Your kidding right? In a case like this common sense SHOULD prevail. I would prefer to pay a damn grievance instead of having someone lose their life because they couldn't get off the A/C in a timely matter to get medical attention. I'm a union member, but I would be embaressed to file in a situation such as this. I suppose that if a ramper was pinned by a piece of equipment that it wouldn't be acceptable for a manager to move it in order to free them either. The language in the CBA was intended to prevent management from doing union work on a regular basis under normal conditions, but all bets are off in an emergency. It is sad to think that you fail to see this.

This isn't a staffing issue as much as a breakdown of judgement issue probabkly by more than one person.

Yeah you're likely right! If it takes a village to raise a child, it would likely take a village of idiots working for an airline to drop the ball in an emergency.

Reactions: 3 people
Your kidding right?
No! Management may assist in performing passenger service work
Per the CWA contract that is my point. Management bargain very hard for this language

Management can pull up the loading bridge in this type of situation. It would be a non-grievance act

You people need to read the contract if you are going to refer to it

Folks,

Let's keep on topic and avoid turning this into another finger pointing labor thread....

it's not surprising, CLT International is understaffed both upstairs and downstairs. Management refuses to address this they prefer to show off for Tempe how they can do more with less man hours.

Last year I was on a flight coming into CLT and a medical emergency was declared. The Capt requested that everyone remain in their seats upon arrival at the gate so emergency personnel in CLT could come onboard. We're at the gate the door is open and were waiting, waiting, and waiting. Nothing, finally the Capt comes on and says it's ok to start deplaneing. Turns out we were on a B con gate and the emergency people were waiting for us at a C con gate.

This morning, Sept 19, we arrived in CLT with a medical emergency. We had called ahead, everyone was notified. We arrived at gate D12 with the fire truck nearby, paramedics on the jetway, and ramp marshallers in place. Then.....of course......no jetway driver. We waited about 5 minutes for someone to show up. How does this happen? I called ops to advise them that we needed someone to get the jetway to the plane asap and they said that they had notified customer service and were aware that they were a no-show.

We did our job.....got the plane on the ground and to the gate asap. The flight attendants did their job attending to the passenger, getting her moved forward, and relaying all pertinent information to us (and to medlink & dispatch). The ramp personel were on the spot and the paramedics were ready. Then someone dropped the ball. It was pretty embarrassing.

Will anyone ever be called on the carpet and questioned about this? Are we that short staffed? Do managers, shift supervisors, etc. not know how to operate a jetway?

Any insights?

I am sure You reported this to the Company. As of Today, have You heard a response back from USAirways to your issue ?

IM sure every single agent would drop what they're doing to respond to an emergency arrival .... More than likely they were unaware ..... How does this happen? ..... Poor commutations between departments in CLT, due to across the board under staffing. US Air is making money again, the next thing that should be fixed is staffing levels!

Reactions: 1 person