Philadelphia Spotting

Jul 11, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying 2011. I am an avid aviation enthusiast, and was assigned a photography project that involves taking blurred/motion photographs. Naturally, I thought of doing some spotting at PHL, however, I can't ever seem to find the right spot. My camera is a manual Canon, as required by the course, so the zoom isn't extraordinary. I have tried the UPS parking lot and the top of the parking garages. Does anyone know of any other places? I need to get some pictures of arriving and/or departing airliners. Would anyone happen to know the number for someone in the US hangar that would be willing to allow me to take some photographs. I also thought of Atlantic Aviation, so I'll have to give them a call as well.

I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get on this situation.

Thanks,
usairwaysfanphl

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying 2011. I am an avid aviation enthusiast, and was assigned a photography project that involves taking blurred/motion photographs. Naturally, I thought of doing some spotting at PHL, however, I can't ever seem to find the right spot. My camera is a manual Canon, as required by the course, so the zoom isn't extraordinary. I have tried the UPS parking lot and the top of the parking garages. Does anyone know of any other places? I need to get some pictures of arriving and/or departing airliners. Would anyone happen to know the number for someone in the US hangar that would be willing to allow me to take some photographs. I also thought of Atlantic Aviation, so I'll have to give them a call as well.

I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get on this situation.

Thanks,
usairwaysfanphl

Just head down to CLT, you could probably sneak right in and get shots from anywhere you like.

I wish I could go to CLT for some shots, but the photographs have to involve Philadelphia.

24 Hour Airport Communications Center (General information and paging) 215-937-6937

Call and ask them who can help you. There is a Hotel on airport property. They may give you roof access to take photos, not sure what kind of views they would have.

If you go to Hog Island Road, if they are landing from Chester (West), near the end of the runway along the river there is a pull off on the riverside,. Make sure you pull off the road and you can get some decent photo ops there. That would be 9R Landings. 27R Landings, may want to go to Ft. Mifflin.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been to Hog Island, as well as UPS. Can on get good shots from the US hangar?

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been to Hog Island, as well as UPS. Can on get good shots from the US hangar?
I suggest that you join the www.phlairline.com site. They will answer those questions as every thing they do is being a fan of aviation.

Back