An Injustice To Our Past

Would you feel differently if it were a model of the Concorde or an SR-71? Or should it be a DC-3?...

Considering the two catastrophic shuttle accidents, and the fact that they too were aerospace pioneers, it seems somewhat appropriate to have it there as a memorial. Aviation didn't come to an end in 1956...

The sentiment would be the same if any other aircraft was to be placed where the shuttle model is. The point is that this Portal has a function of honoring those enshrined there. The building itself is intended to bring attention to the careers of those men and women there. It is not just about Charles E. Taylor but the thirteen souls resting underneath.

Not once has it been implied that the Space Shuttle is not worthy of being on display. The women who was the Dircetor of the Portal was never consulted about placing the model there. Neither were any of the relatives of those buried there. The model was in several pieces lying around the cemetery and the GM, who is new at the cemetery, was pressed into putting it on display. It has been suggested that the shuttle simply be relocated on the cemetery grounds so a "memorial" for the space era can be on display.

As far as using the word "injustice" I will stand with that word. I find it appropriate. If others have a problem with it that is their issue.

Actually it is your issue. Using a term that is not in proportion to the issue in question detracts from your credibility and could affect the turn out you are seeking.

Neither. The shuttle shows how far we have come, not where we have been much less the stagnation that you seem to want to portray. No, a travesty is a murderer going free because he was able to afford really good lawyers, an abomination would be that person writing a book about it afterward. This topic might qualify as silly, pointless, embarrassing.

The polite thing to do Garfield is at least respect the man's opinion. No need to slam what he believes. No offense but your type of opinions belong in the "around the water cooler" section.

How about an Abrams M-1A tank on Cemetery Ridge, at Gettysburg?
How about a statue to Illegal Aliens, paid for by the AFL-CIO, at the Alamo?
How about a picture of Bill and Hillary Clinton atop Jeffersons' grave at Monticello?
How about a set of wax figures for the "Who" at the Grand Old Oprey?
How about a Ferrari in front of the Henry Ford Museum?

For different reasons, and to greater/lesser degrees of absurdity, each of the above was created/preserved for commemoration/dedication to one event but has something in common with what is proposed: in none of the above examples would the proposal be appropriate.

To that degree, I believe a fiberglass mock-up of the shuttle was inappropriately placed and should be moved even if we have to take up a collection to make it happen.

Would you feel differently if it were a model of the Concorde or an SR-71? Or should it be a DC-3?...

Considering the two catastrophic shuttle accidents, and the fact that they too were aerospace pioneers, it seems somewhat appropriate to have it there as a memorial. Aviation didn't come to an end in 1956...

What is the purpose of the model? At the very least its unsightly and inapproprate for a cemetary.

The polite thing to do Garfield is at least respect the man's opinion. No need to slam what he believes.

Garfield has frustrations and hostility that he has to vent every so often. He thrives on disagreement. Disagreeing with him is a charitable act. It puts Nature back into balance for a while.

OK, I was just asking if it was the Shuttle you took exception with.

Unfortunately, I think you're up against the fact that in any cemetary, you only control what happens within the boundries of your plot. I can't control what monuments get erected on the plots adjacent to our family plot, unless I'm willing to buy those plots and increase the separation. Perhaps whatever foundation sponsors the Portal should consider expanding the footprint of the memorial?

Well, the Shuttle has indirect ties to AA --- NASA bought one of AA's 747's to serve as the transporter, and left it in AA's stripes and bare metal for several years before they finally painted it white with blue NASA markings...

But, no, there's no direct tie to AA and the Portal aside from the fact that Ken's the head of the Charles Taylor Fan Club, and Taylor is interred there.