PHX Mtx to go 5 & 2

and you imply that we take less thought and personal responsibility for the comparitive lives of hundreds of people over a physician with 1...hahaha....bite me!

Back off from saying you've worked 36 hours STRAIGHT and I'll back off from my statement. Otherwise I'm sticking to my post and you sir can bite me. It's not a safe situation period, and whether or not you or your crew did everything right is not the point. That's why the situation you described that would result in loss of life, injury or damage to equipment are called mishaps or accidents...they are unintentional.

Why don't you quit assuming 700. Personally when assigned to a hardbroke aircraft that had to fly the next day lounging around or taking naps was not a personal or professional option. There is a certain amount of pride fixing an aircraft so it can make the schedule whether it be a individual effort or team effort.

I've not commented on flight crews because I haven't walked in their shoes. That being said, a flight crew is a team and mechanics don't always work in teams. Certainely a pilot should not be asked to work 24 hours without crew rest somewhere inbetween :closedeyes: . That goes for FAs to. Some routes require more than 12 hours of duty. Two pilots and multiple FAs on duty doesn't diminish the individual fatigue factor but there could be opportunity to rest while the other team members continue working. Such opportunities may or may not present themselves to mechanics because mechanics don't always work in teams. That being said, a pilot or FA catching a catnap on a 12 plus hour flight doesn't go against personal moral fabric like a mechanic napping on the job would or even a parts clerk. If a sup :cop: gives the okay for a mechanic to take a nap after, 16 hours, or whatever it may be, then maybe this is not an issue B)
You've brought up some good points, but I'm curious...have you ever worked 12 plus or 16 plus hours straight as a mechanic on night shift or any shift for that matter? If the answer to is no, what experience do you have to not have a problem? I've worked supply and was an avionics tech and I can assure you the risk factor for a mishap to occur when working 16 plus hours is much lower for a supply clerk issuing a flight control actuator when compared to a mechanic changing out the same flight control actuator on a passenger aircraft...don't ya think B)
He is a STOCK CLERC for pete sakes!!!!!!

Spell check not working?

When can you add to the topic?

And the word WAS, not IS.

Personally working a 16 hour day is asking for disaster. It's hard to believe that the Union, Company or even the FAA would allow anyone performing maintenance on an aircraft to exceed even 12 hours. The risk to personal safety and the safety of passengers can not be taken lightly. It's kinda like drinking alcohol. The more your drink the less common sense you have. The more you work past a certain threshold the less alert and the more prone to mistakes you become. I certainely wouldn't want to fly on an aircraft where a mechanic fixing the aircraft just finished a 16 hour day. It's just not reasonable to think a 16 hour day is just another day at work.
I worked at USAirways for 15 years and thankfully I am now out. While there I worked the 2.5 workdays. Double double single then fly home to Cally. It was awesome, plenty of time for catnaps in the tug, locker room, empty acft etc. Now here at UPS we work 3 13 hr shifts and it is almost as good, but the 2.5's were awesome!!

Spell check not working?

When can you add to the topic?

And the word WAS, not IS.
Thanks pal, clerk, my bad. Soooo, not in the industry anymore? Please inform inquiring minds....

Latest posts