PHX Sky Harbor

CLTBWIDAYSYR

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
OK, now I know that PHL is a cluster, but what genius was it that planned PHX? On three different occasions now, we have had misconnects because passengers were confused as to where their connecting gates were. What other airport has two Concourse As and two Concourse Bs? East flights (until recently) arrived at gates B-13, 14, and 15. One would think that if you're connecting on Concourse B, that the gate would be just down the hall. But no, gate B-20 is on a DIFFERENT hallway a half mile a way. Would it not be logical to simply rename all four corridors to "A, B, C, and D"?

And for the record, Tempe, 26 minutes is NOT enough time to connect passengers in an airport with distances just as great as those between Philadelphia's C-30 and A-26.

Well genius, I guess you never bothered to pay attention. Terminal 4 in Phx DOES have C and D gates, they just happen to be on the other side of the terminal, those gates are occupied by Southwest.

Well genius, I guess you never bothered to pay attention. Terminal 4 in Phx DOES have C and D gates, they just happen to be on the other side of the terminal, those gates are occupied by Southwest.
By looking at terminal map it does seem that A and B have TWO separate concourses :eek:
terminal_phoenix.jpg

They should change C and D to E and F, ;)

If there are eight concourses in that terminal, they should use eight different letters...not one letter for every two concourses.

MIA lettering goes to Concourse H.

Well, there is THAT culture difference showing again.
West: Well genius, that's the way it is. Period.
East: I wonder how our passengers will understand this?

This merger is going to be like marrying your opposite. Maybe the inevitable clashes will make for some good compromises. OR realize your mistake and get divorced.

Gezzz you people really need to get a life, I made that comment because NOW you east people have found a new thing to pick on us about over on the west side, the PHX hub terminal?? you got to be kidding me! are you people really this cynical? It's just a damn airport terminal, Do you miss that POS terminal 2 building you guys were in? What's that noise? sounds like crickets, how soon you guys forget (and that goes for everything!) for 17 years nobody complained about navigating through our hub, you know we actually did run an airline before this merger btw. And just like you always feel like telling people who come up to you and ask, "just look up and reads the signs" there's low A's and high A's, low B's and high B's, what's the problem. I'm just sick of listening to all you hardcore usair folk constainly looking for every little BS thing to complain about.

I just got back from Phl, not the jewel of the east as far as airports are conserned, but I don't complain, the whole time I was there I keep thinking "man, if we just had the balls to spend some money and get with the city to build a new terminal with all the bells and whistles, make it the premier airport in the east coast, THEN we'd really start to shine", I wasen't putting it down like some people here. No one said this merger was going to be easy, but hey, it's all we got so we better put our selves together and try to make it work.

BTW I don't drink parker juice, I'm pissed just like everyone else.

Well, there is THAT culture difference showing again.
West: Well genius, that's the way it is. Period.
East: I wonder how our passengers will understand this?

This merger is going to be like marrying your opposite. Maybe the inevitable clashes will make for some good compromises. OR realize your mistake and get divorced.

No my dear, it's more like this....

East: What moron created this airport
West: ok genius, you got a better idea huh?
East: Tempe has no clue
West: ok you guys have got it down alright huh?
East: Man, those idiots in the sandcastle etc, etc, etc
West: yeah, we're idiots alright for trying to save your...
East: Doug and Scott and any other "westie" have got to go
West: uh, yeah and your CEO was a really great guy huh? how about Siegal, you guys miss him too?
East: Shares suck, it's for a small regional not for large global airlines, Sabre was the greatest. Shares sucks! blah blah blah.
West: Ahh, I see you guys rather use a system that's been around since 1959 huh? BTW Continental uses Shares and I wouldn't call them a regional.

Should I continue?

I just got back from Phl, not the jewel of the east as far as airports are conserned, but I don't complain, the whole time I was there I keep thinking "man, if we just had the balls to spend some money and get with the city to build a new terminal with all the bells and whistles, make it the premier airport in the east coast, THEN we'd really start to shine", I wasen't putting it down like some people here. No one said this merger was going to be easy, but hey, it's all we got so we better put our selves together and try to make it work.

I'll bet most employees (and passengers) agree with your sentiment about the PHL airport. B)

Gezzz you people really need to get a life, I made that comment because NOW you east people have found a new thing to pick on us about over on the west side, the PHX hub terminal?? you got to be kidding me! are you people really this cynical? It's just a damn airport terminal, Do you miss that POS terminal 2 building you guys were in? What's that noise? sounds like crickets, how soon you guys forget (and that goes for everything!) for 17 years nobody complained about navigating through our hub, you know we actually did run an airline before this merger btw. And just like you always feel like telling people who come up to you and ask, "just look up and reads the signs" there's low A's and high A's, low B's and high B's, what's the problem. I'm just sick of listening to all you hardcore usair folk constainly looking for every little BS thing to complain about.

Logic PHX has 4 different concourses there the 1st 2 are A's and the 2nd 2 are B's, It should be A B C D. Chicago O'hare has 1 concourse that splits into 2 and they are 2 different Letter's and that is on AA's side H and K. SFO is another airport that is alittle confusing as they number the gates 1-90, something like that. LAX is also that way, but each terminal concourse is lettered. I don't think no airline operates from different terminals there, except for UA. And the International arrivals for UA and AA.

My pet peave is the changing of gates, especially when you land the FA tells you one thing only to be made different, but they do tell you on the plane make sure you observe the monitors at the airport. I know they change so calm down, and if you do OLCI and they have NO gates listed. Most of the times I only travel with my carry-on and laptop. In PHL, last year I believe, I was flying to San Francisco. I used the kiosk and it printed out C30 so I go there, go thru security get to the gate. The Board said Las Vegas, I go up to the agent and she informed me that it was leaving from A-20 (Something like that), it was changed before 7am she stated and this was a 10 am flight. I did the Kiosk thing at about 9a so that should had informed me of it being A-20. I said to her Thank You, I should have rechecked the board, I'll be my mistake for not doing that, but if it was changed at 7am, My Boarding Pass should of had that changed. I made the flight, gave me a good walk. Stuff like that happens all around.

I am going to Munich next month and I was going to change in London-Heathrow. Just before I purchased the ticket, I went and looked at the terminal maps there. I had an hour and 45 minutes, go from Term. 1 to term. 4. I decided to do a nonstop into Munich. LHR I never been to, so I was not going to leave that up to my messing up.

OK, now I know that PHL is a cluster, but what genius was it that planned PHX? On three different occasions now, we have had misconnects because passengers were confused as to where their connecting gates were. What other airport has two Concourse As and two Concourse Bs? East flights (until recently) arrived at gates B-13, 14, and 15. One would think that if you're connecting on Concourse B, that the gate would be just down the hall. But no, gate B-20 is on a DIFFERENT hallway a half mile a way. Would it not be logical to simply rename all four corridors to "A, B, C, and D"?

And for the record, Tempe, 26 minutes is NOT enough time to connect passengers in an airport with distances just as great as those between Philadelphia's C-30 and A-26.
Is there a map in the back of the USAirways magazine? I mean, I just do not see the big deal here. If you were to go from A26- A8 in PHL, you are talking about a significant distance as well, and those are both A. But, I am sure Parker and Kirby had sumthin' to do with this, let's blame them! :up: :lol:

Is there a map in the back of the USAirways magazine? I mean, I just do not see the big deal here. If you were to go from A26- A8 in PHL, you are talking about a significant distance as well, and those are both A. But, I am sure Parker and Kirby had sumthin' to do with this, let's blame them! :up: :lol:
In PHX US and WN is terminal 4, am I correct?

it is a little confusing.

It's just another airport. You gotta remember that the average person with some common sense will get lost at even the most user friendly airports...I've seen it happen time and time again having worked at a small airport, a mid-size, and now a hub. Take it for what it is worth...once you've flown through a few times it isn't "one of those confusing airports." Hell, if you think PHX is confusing, try ATL or something where you need to check-in and proceed to a train to get to the proper concourse...or perhaps DFW, same way! IAH is no fun if you are interlining. Back to the basics...it is just another airport, once you have mastered the lay-out, it is like strolling through a familiar place...not that hard. :huh:

It's just another airport. You gotta remember that the average person with some common sense will get lost at even the most user friendly airports...I've seen it happen time and time again having worked at a small airport, a mid-size, and now a hub. Take it for what it is worth...once you've flown through a few times it isn't "one of those confusing airports." Hell, if you think PHX is confusing, try ATL or something where you need to check-in and proceed to a train to get to the proper concourse...or perhaps DFW, same way! IAH is no fun if you are interlining. Back to the basics...it is just another airport, once you have mastered the lay-out, it is like strolling through a familiar place...not that hard. :huh:
DFW I don't schedule connections less than 60 inutes there. You can land on the Esat side and wait forever to cross the take-off runway, and the west side as well and depending where the gate is it can be a long taxi time. Then you may wait and hold til the plane that is in your gate departs. Then when you pull up and get off the plane,First have to look for a video display to see what gate you are supposed to go to, then you have to decide is it faster to walk or take the traam. Not one of my favorite connecting airports, but if I can happen to avoid the T-Storms there, I generally don't have a problem. T-Storms are the key.

Houston-IAH-Another huge airport, need a road map to know where your going.

Denver- Not too bad except for winter storms, friendly place.

Minneapolis-I try to avoid it, my flights happen to get cancelled alot more frequently thru there for various reasons.

Chicago-ORD-I expect delays going thru there and other than that, not all that bad.

Atlanta-Connected there 1 time, nothing to talk about cause my gates happen to be next to each other, got lucky.

Los Angeles- Pain in the ### switching airlines.

Pittsburgh-Loved it when I didn't have to connect from Commuter terminal E to mainline.

Cleveland-Not one of my favorites

Detroit-Nice terminal, except NW pulls switches pretty often. Some times I travel on a flight that is supposed to be direct, and they end up changing planes, happens at other airports too, but seems to be more frequent here.

Charlotte-Friendly, never really connected there more than 1 time. Nothing to complain about.

These were just MY Connecting airports that I gave my opinion on. There are many other end cities, but that's another time. :rolleyes: