Piedmont Flight Attendants Open Stirke Vote

Loved this quote..."This lack of progress could lead to the National Mediation Board (NMB) declaring that negotiations are deadlocked and releasing both parties into a 30-day “cooling off” period leading to a strike deadline."

Yeah, and if those people in the Middle East would just stop killing each other, it could lead to peace over there. Before anyone starts counting down the days to the strike, try to remember that the AA flight attendant union asked to be released something like 3 or 4 times over the past years, and the NMB refused each time. This in the face of the fact that the company did not even bother to show up for one NMB-ordered mediation session. They still refused to say that the company was not bargaining in good faith.

Are also the pilots nearing an impasse regarding a new contract? Wonder if airways will do to piedmont what delta did to comair? With 3 dash-100's coming up on cycle limits next year and no new or used aircraft in the pipeline, it should not be too hard to replace the lift piedmont supplies except for a few stations with short runways. I was surprised delta made the announcement at the end of july with the closing of comair at the end of september. I guess that has been delta's plan for a long time but it works a hardship on comair employees. Comair has some large RJ's to transfer, not much to transfer at piedmont.

I wish the best for all at Piedmont, as I know many of thier crews. I would would trust flying with them and their experience level over any of the other express operators.

Are also the pilots nearing an impasse regarding a new contract? Wonder if airways will do to piedmont what delta did to comair?
It's just a matter of time before Piedmont gets shut down completely or merged into PSA.

Anyone at a regional that would strike just doesn't want a job. The majors are all closing their wholly owned regionals don't make that decision any easier for US.

Anyone at a regional that would strike just doesn't want a job. The majors are all closing their wholly owned regionals don't make that decision any easier for US.

The regionals will start to die on the vine the moment the age 65 retirements kick in. That, along with the new rest rules, the new licensing requirements for FAR 121 carriers, the lack of a military pipeline, and the huge expense of learning to fly privately will soon squeeze the majors for want of cockpit crews. Flying antique, ragged-out 37 passenger (which can really only carry 35 now) turboprops will be untenable. If mainline was smart (unlikely), they would do all hiring from Piedmont and shred those small -8's as the crew complement shrinks. IMHO, it is very shortsighted to let any qualified pilot "get away" anymore.

The regionals will start to die on the vine the moment the age 65 retirements kick in. That, along with the new rest rules, the new licensing requirements for FAR 121 carriers, the lack of a military pipeline, and the huge expense of learning to fly privately will soon squeeze the majors for want of cockpit crews. Flying antique, ragged-out 37 passenger (which can really only carry 35 now) turboprops will be untenable. If mainline was smart (unlikely), they would do all hiring from Piedmont and shred those small -8's as the crew complement shrinks. IMHO, it is very shortsighted to let any qualified pilot "get away" anymore.

If you’re union of the past (ALPA) and present was smart and work out a flow thru with the express and protect the scope of mainline and quit whipsawing the express group against the mainline we all would be better off

If you’re union of the past (ALPA) and present was smart and work out a flow thru with the express and protect the scope of mainline and quit whipsawing the express group against the mainline we all would be better off
Piedmont pilots thought they got flow through as compensation for losing their pensions during the last bankruptcy. USA Airways fought it and won. So now there is no flow.

That's a shame, lots of real good guys at Piedmont. I have stated before about their level of experience as well.

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/53982-piedmont-flight-attendants-open-stirke-vote/page__st__10

Piedmont Airlines flight attendants, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA), today sent a loud and clear message that if management fails to negotiate a new agreement; a strike could result at the airline. The strike was authorized by 98 percent of participating flight attendants. Piedmont is a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways Group, Inc. and operates as a US Airways Expresscarrier....

It's sad either way. While I admire your stance, labor still loses out in the end. I know lots of good people at Piedmont, and wish them the best.

Latest posts

Back