Pilots to Fly to Age 65

Just last week a 59 year old pilot died in the cockpit of a Continental 767 in flight. My condolences to his family. This time the flight landed safety because another training Captain was flying as the first officer. The age 60 rule has helped make the US air transportation system the safest in the world and now the government wants to change it. Hopefully your family won't be on the first flight that crashes due to a medical issue of an Airline Pilot who dies at the average age of 62 1/2 and is now allowed to be is at the controls.

Yea, its a good thing the other guy was a training captain, or they would have never made it, whew.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! At least you'll have a chance to put away for that retirement you lost. 65 is the new 50 anyway.

He might have been 80. But when was t he last time he his drivings skills were retested? Did he take a Class I medical every six months? Was he at peril for a random drug/alcohol test every time operated the vehicle? Could a spot "checkride" be administered any time at all.

There are plenty of checks and balances in the existing regulations that will make the transition to age 65 a non-event.
I was just listing that as a reference on that anything, anywhere can happen. I personally could care less how old the pilot is, just as long as they are capable of their duties.

If you were to review every Air Carrier accident back to 1939 and check the ages of the flight crew involved, I believe you would find most accidents occurred with younger pilots at the controls.

There has never been an airline accident attrubuted to the age of the flight crew, old or young. Changing the age to 65 will have no detrimental affect on the safety of the traveling public or the citizens below the flight path of the aircraft.

Personally, my family and I would rather fly with a fit 60+ year old with 20-25 THOUSAND hours flown than an overweight, McDonald's raised 25 year old with 25 HUNDRED hours as PIC.
He might have been 80. But when was t he last time he his drivings skills were retested? Did he take a Class I medical every six months? Was he at peril for a random drug/alcohol test every time operated the vehicle? Could a spot "checkride" be administered any time at all.

There are plenty of checks and balances in the existing regulations that will make the transition to age 65 a non-event.

If you are an airline pilot you know the once every 6 month check is a joke. Just look at the chief pilot in Philly. You stay with the Doc for years and you pay him 80 bucks and talk about fishing and you are fit for 6 months.

If you are an airline pilot you know the once every 6 month check is a joke. Just look at the chief pilot in Philly. You stay with the Doc for years and you pay him 80 bucks and talk about fishing and you are fit for 6 months.

Maybe compared to a military flight physical. Have you ever even read Part 67 of the FAR's and know what's required of the AME in examining the pilot?

An FAA Doc once told me it's his job to keep me flying, not keep me from flying. If they get too creative with more testing/screening you can bet a lot of younger pilots will be having shortened careers.

We're not flying to the moon. Just flying highly automated airplanes with multiple redundant systems, including the pilots. It doesn't require an astronaut physical to make sure the system is safe.

The 60-year rule was established nearly 40 years ago, based on political and economic considerations, rather than scientific research.

Factual error? IIRC the '60' rule was enacted shortly after the arrival of the first jets, about 1959-60. If true, then it was nearly 50 years ago, not "nearly 40".

I don't know what you are talking about regarding line pilots. The six month exam is complete with no sidesteps here!

You guys kill me. You benefited from the age 60 rule and got your seat, now you jump for joy that you can stay another 5 years and the heck with the rest of us. The rule was never for saftey reasons, it was to keep the WWII guys moving out the door. You make me sick! We need Jimmy Hoffa at ALPA.

To be totally fair, the rule should apply to new hires and after. But no. I've got mine, go get yours suckers. The new motto of the selfish and arrogant pilot group.

You guys kill me. You benefited from the age 60 rule and got your seat, now you jump for joy that you can stay another 5 years and the heck with the rest of us. The rule was never for saftey reasons, it was to keep the WWII guys moving out the door. You make me sick! We need Jimmy Hoffa at ALPA.

To be totally fair, the rule should apply to new hires and after. But no. I've got mine, go get yours suckers. The new motto of the selfish and arrogant pilot group.

Nobody wants to talk about this part of the debate. They keep preaching the benefits but don't talk much about the down side...our who's having to eat the downside.

A320 Driver B)