pilots’ union indicates decision

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sean Lane will rule late this afternoon on whether American Airlines Inc. can toss its labor contract with pilots as allowed under Section 1113 of the federal bankruptcy code, according to the union representing the pilots.

But waiting until then my be a moot point given a hotline message from the Allied Pilots Union this morning to its members and a Twitter post saying airline management has indicated they will meet with union representatives early next week to discuss “the implementation of the 1113 term sheet.”

http://aviationblog....rican_airlines/

Should be very interesting since consensual agreements are not needed to exit bankruptcy.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sean Lane will rule late this afternoon on whether American Airlines Inc. can toss its labor contract with pilots as allowed under Section 1113 of the federal bankruptcy code, according to the union representing the pilots.

But waiting until then my be a moot point given a hotline message from the Allied Pilots Union this morning to its members and a Twitter post saying airline management has indicated they will meet with union representatives early next week to discuss “the implementation of the 1113 term sheet.”

http://aviationblog....rican_airlines/

I wonder what if any parts of the term sheet the company may not impose on the pilot group. It would not be prudunt to order too many larger RJ's with either Embraer or Bombardier, or sign a lot of contracts with other regional carriers. The APA and the company could still come to a consensual agreement with AA management that keeps the scope clauses similar to what is in the existing contract.

But why would they?

Because they technically have to continue negotiations, may take a while, but if things get settled faster with some nudges from either His Honor Sean Lane or by the NMB. It may happen sooner that AA management would like.

There hasn't been anything but backward movement in their offers since 2007, why all of a sudden are they going to back off now. Never understood that mentality and even after the bankruptcy many believe would never come and even after the day the pilots deal get thrown out...people still believe thing will get better if we keep saying no...SMH

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder what if any parts of the term sheet the company may not impose on the pilot group. It would not be prudunt to order too many larger RJ's with either Embraer or Bombardier, or sign a lot of contracts with other regional carriers. The APA and the company could still come to a consensual agreement with AA management that keeps the scope clauses similar to what is in the existing contract.

Sounds more like wishful thinking, then being prepared for losing your scope clause with a no vote, AA told you what they were going to ask the judge for .When the line mechs voted no, we were not giving much more then an .82 cent raise and matching 401k. We were prepared for the term sheet. The pilots were giving up a lot more and should have been prepared for the term sheet by voting no.

Well if you keep saying YES you know this will only get worse.

We've been saying No since 2007/2008 and it's continued to get worse. Not the other way around. You even said that bankruptcy was a ploy, a scare tactic..well, here we are.

We've been saying No since 2007/2008 and it's continued to get worse. Not the other way around. You even said that bankruptcy was a ploy, a scare tactic..well, here we are.

You said Yes in 2003, in 1995, etc etc.
When did I say BK was a ploy, scare tactic, etc? Or are you simply repeating the unsubstanyaited accusations made by others?

They have already measured the Eagle hangars to see if the new planes will fit. I don't think they will turn back now.

When did I say BK was a ploy, scare tactic, etc? Or are you simply repeating the unsubstanyaited accusations made by others?

Maybe it's just confusion over the somewhat cavalier attitude you and several others had towards the reality and gravity of a filing during the year or so leading up to the actual filing?

Or maybe it's the several occasions where you've responded to statements about "lawyers on the courthouse steps" by quipping "there are no steps on the courthouse in Manhattan"...

I'm not going to go digging thru years of posts to find that stuff. I know you didn't come right out and say "it's just a bluff and negotiating tactic to put another gun to our head like in 2003" but your "bring it on" attitude certainly would leave someone to with the perception that you didn't believe the company was going to file.

Reactions: 2 people