Pilots Union Puts Arpey on Notice

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='535209' date='Oct 16 2007, 05:47 PM']Then maybe one of you should get a hold of the old TWA Pilot contract. Then look at the pay they were at prior to the buyout. How hard is that?[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestion but its not that important.... AA guys did make more though...

Thanks for the suggestion but its not that important.... AA guys did make more though...

All union employees at AA with the exception of the pilots, should take a 40% pay cut. The airpanes needs the pilots to fly them, but can get along fine without the other groups. AA should farm out everything that they can.

I'm not lying ... When AA bought TWA.... we were given the TWA f/a contract to compare to our AA contract.... Believe me , it was a BIG difference....
Saw it with my own two eyes...
oh ... let me guess that is not true and I'm making this all up... right???

Part of the difference you noticed was probably the fact that we topped out at 12 years, you all at 15. We also did not have over time. I pretty much flew only what I had to fly so overtime (incentive pay) was not a major factor. Dollar per hour is nice, I've always said that BUT it doesn't offset the other costs. insurance, loss of 401K contribution, work rules. It was about a $5 per hour difference (straight time)

I'm not lying ... When AA bought TWA.... we were given the TWA f/a contract to compare to our AA contract.... Believe me , it was a BIG difference....
oh ... let me guess that is not true and I'm making this all up... right???

I don't believe you, yup, still making it up.

You are right. On the day of acquisition we topped out at fifteen years (this had changed from 12 yrs some time before) and made $34.84 per hour for all hours flown on domestic, $37.52 on international. On 1/1/02 we went on AA's payscale, which was $49.12 up to 67 hrs and $56.49 for all hrs over 67 on domestic. AA international rates were $52.48 and $60.35 overtime. All of this is flight attendant rates, no purser or galley or #1 override, which added even more.

It was a huge difference, regardless of any work rule differences. It came to about 31% more domestically and 40% internationally.

MK

You are right.

He was partially right, because even though the pay increase was substantial the pay did not double and the TWA flight attendants topped at more than $28 an hour, as he originally would have everyone believe.
Well the TWA F/A's doubled their pay when AA bought them..... seems like the pilots did the same !!!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the TWA f/as were making $28 per hour..

He was partially right, because even though the pay increase was substantial the pay did not double and the TWA flight attendants topped at more than $28 an hour, as he originally would have everyone believe.
It looks like everone is a little right here. I answered the line I backquoted, that it was a huge difference.

MK

That was in 1983... I'm talking about the last year TWA was in business... When AA bought TWA the f/as were not making 50 bucks an hour it was more like 28 bucks...

That was just a point of reference for our old agreements..prior to our version of an RPA. I never said that was what I was making at the time of the acquisition. And it certainly wasn't $28 an hour. The raise was around $5 per hour (which is nice) but certainly not 1/2. I want my $90 an hour! You also probably saw the '94 contract, not the '97 (signed in '98) And even then it was more than $28 per hour in my seniority. And once again grasshopper, ours topped out at 12 years vs 15. When you have x amt. of dollars, we chose not to dilute it by adding more years.

I was also paid as an Intn' FSM (Purser) 12 year vs a 15 year domestic f/a @ AA.

That was just a point of reference for our old agreements..prior to our version of an RPA. I never said that was what I was making at the time of the acquisition. And it certainly wasn't $28 an hour. The raise was around $5 per hour (which is nice) but certainly not 1/2. I want my $90 an hour! You also probably saw the '94 contract, not the '97 (signed in '98) And even then it was more than $28 per hour in my seniority. And once again grasshopper, ours topped out at 12 years vs 15. When you have x amt. of dollars, we chose not to dilute it by adding more years.

I was also paid as an Intn' FSM (Purser) 12 year vs a 15 year domestic f/a @ AA.
Wow... you must have made somd good cash at TWA... who would have thought how good it was !!!
The most Ive ever made here at AA was around 75 K... I was in my 14 th year... oh well...

Wow... you must have made somd good cash at TWA... who would have thought how good it was !!!
The most Ive ever made here at AA was around 75 K... I was in my 14 th year... oh well...

Your point? I made around fifty. I flew low time. Family is/was far more important than racking up the bucks. A smaller home, an older car, gave me the ability to parent 11 children over the years. You are the one that threw out the "double" comment. I was just remarking that there had been a huge mistake in my paycheck. I learned very quickly that dollar per hour did not an industry leading contract make. Especially after the illegal RPA when the pay was comparable to TWAs but without the offsetting work rules that allowed me the flexibility to have an extraordinary family life. I have always been able to provide for my family and while there have been sacrifices along the way (I fed my kids instead of my 401K) I wouldn't trade very much at this stage in my life. I hope you'll be able to look back on your life and career with the same peace.

Uh, what does any of the last three days of bickering have to do with the pilots putting Arpey on notice?...

Latest posts