PIT Ramp/CSA work being outsourced?

commuterman

Mar 28, 2008
Anybody heard of a Jan. 10 or 11 announcement of the outsourcing to either an Express ground handler or an independent company of PIT Ramp/CSA work? Rumor is going around a few stations.

Doesn't surprise us in the least. When PSA work went to mainline, neither Unions, Fleet nor Customer Service protected the work in their contracts. We all knew eventually the company would run with it. So that would leave an estimate of about 25 CSA and 40 Fleet to handle whatever mainline is left in PIT. Ponder this, the company can start an express operation for manpower at starting salary of 8.00 HR. Why would they pay triple that for mainline workers? It will be very sad to see so many senior employees furloughed once again. Why doesn't the company just put all mainline out of their misery once and for all?

DEX

What does the CBA say about flight activity in regard to outsourcing?

In the CSA CBA if PIT goes from 84 weekly mainline departures as a HUB class I city, to under 64 mainline departures to a class II city, they cannot furlough to the street mainline employees. They must offer them express positions. There is also language that Fleet , non management can take over the work. It is a bit confusing to figure out just what the company is trying to do at this time. Only time will tell.

DEX

Anybody heard of a Jan. 10 or 11 announcement of the outsourcing to either an Express ground handler or an independent company of PIT Ramp/CSA work? Rumor is going around a few stations.

It's entirely possible that Piedmont will be brought in for ground handling. The current PIT Ramp Manager was a former Piedmont Ramp Director in PHL, and was on a task force studying Piedmont acquisitions of ground handling contracts in mainline cities that will be eligible in the future. My theory is that at some point in 2011 or 2012, the PIT Station Manager will retire and they will pull the plug on mainline ground handling. The current PIT Ramp Manager would then be slotted in as the Piedmont Station Manager.

And what does Velveeta say?
She is another that has NO BACKBONE..
It's 'what's in it 4 me'!

I say, Start perusing other unions..
DUMP CWA.

History shows
PSA Airways fires workers after walkout

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_451065.html

PSA Airlines, which operates as US Airways Express, said Friday it fired 11 of an estimated 125 ramp and gate workers who walked off their jobs last week at Pittsburgh International Airport to protest the failure to reach a new contract.
Teamsters Local 926 of Pittsburgh, which represents the fired airline employees, appealed Thursday's terminations by filing a grievance with the company, which is standard procedure under its contract, secretary-treasurer Charles Brynes said yesterday. If the company does not rule in the workers' favor, the union will appeal to an independent arbitrator, Brynes promised.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_447871.html
PSA operates as US Airways Express with about 130 daily flights at Pittsburgh International. PSA is a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways, but negotiates its own contracts and operates as an independent carrier.
As many as 95 unionized gate and ramp workers staged a work stoppage at Pittsburgh International Airport Wednesday in frustration over stalled contract negotiations with a subsidiary of US Airways.
"It is not a sanctioned strike ... but it just reached a boiling point," said Charles Byrnes, secretary-treasurer of Teamsters Local 926, which represents about 500 workers employed by PSA Airlines at the Findlay airport.

And what does Velveeta say?
She is another that has NO BACKBONE..
It's 'what's in it 4 me'!

I say, Start perusing other unions..
DUMP CWA.

I don’t about VH but the CWA contract said TWO (2) mainline jets a day may be outsourced
IAM it is something like seven (7) mainline jets a day may be outsourced
"Start perusing other unions."
I?M

I am IN IT FOR DUMPING CWA. I would take IBT or IAM anyday over the B.S. we have endured with the whole lot of them. :ph34r:

I am IN IT FOR DUMPING CWA. I would take IBT or IAM anyday over the B.S. we have endured with the whole lot of them. :ph34r:
You would rather have IAM fleet contract –vs- CWA contract?
How about the old teamsters mechanics contract of HP?
How about the old TWU fleet contract of HP?
How about WN ramp, passenger service IAM/TWU contract
I hope you get my point

IAM--Thumbs down
CWA- Def THUMBS DOWN..

Folks please re-consider contract talks..

Another union should be considered..

Back