PIT Ramp/CSA work being outsourced?

My apologies if I lost the trail here....has anyone heard any concrete evidence of the PIT change?

My apologies if I lost the trail here....has anyone heard any concrete evidence of the PIT change?

Commuterman:

No one who has direct, inside knowledge is going to chime in on an internet message board. If this is indeed in the works, it is doubtful that anyone other than the regional VP, or possibly the PIT Station Manager has been let in on the secret, and their job is to keep the illusion going until the axe falls. This is the main problem with companies of all sizes and shapes. They hold their cards close to their chest until the last possible minute because they have no spine and can't allow for planning by the minions.
Crazy stuff. Even though there is no concrete evidence that PIT will be outsourced on the dates you mentioned in the first post, the writing is on the wall, and the days of IAM and CWA in PIT are numbered, purely by the direction the company has been taking since America West management took over. It is only a matter of time, but we will not know the time until the company decides to make it public.

Commuterman:

the writing is on the wall, and the days of IAM and CWA in PIT are numbered, purely by the direction the company has been taking since America West management took over. It is only a matter of time, but we will not know the time until the company decides to make it public.
It is your belief that PIT will fall below 3 mainlines a day?

It is your belief that PIT will fall below 3 mainlines a day?

Well, it is entirely possible they could downsize to 3 ML flights per day by keeping the 2 PHX non-stops, and 1 PHL or CLT R/T. The rest of the hub trips to PHL, CLT, and DCA could easily be switched to Republic E-175's with increased frequency to match a similar number of seats flown that are currently flown with ML aircraft.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this matter because I no longer work for the company, but, if you look at the recent history of the PIT hub (last 4 years), you can deduce that they are pulling down the operation on a gradual scale. They took out the Express hub operated by PSA which reduced the flight activity from 220 flights per day to just under 110. Then, they went from 110 flights (express and ML) per day to 62 about 1.5 years ago. Then, 6 months later, they reduced it again to 42 flights per day. So if you follow the logic, it only makes sense that they will eventually pull more flights out again and outsource the operation to an express partner. It is not a matter of "if". It is a matter of "when". Only certain people in the company know "when", and they aren't talking right now.

My understanding is that the PIT Ramp was informed yesterday 1/10/2011 just like it was rumored... The numbers I heard were 62 FT and 11 PT positions eliminated effective 03/09/11

Maybe some of the PIT guys can inject some facts here...How deep does this go? PIT has been absolutely decimated by this management and it looks like the typical shrink mentality that has ravaged our airline just continues...

Good Luck to all the guys in PIT...The decision is a very big and hard one to make...

How sad~~~

That was once the crown jewel of Allegheny County..

Sad..

And the company wants to expand Philly? Who are they kidding?

My understanding is that the PIT Ramp was informed yesterday 1/10/2011 just like it was rumored... The numbers I heard were 62 FT and 11 PT positions eliminated effective 03/09/11

Maybe some of the PIT guys can inject some facts here...How deep does this go? PIT has been absolutely decimated by this management and it looks like the typical shrink mentality that has ravaged our airline just continues...

Good Luck to all the guys in PIT...The decision is a very big and hard one to make...
Is the company outsourcing or reducing the flights?

How sad~~~

That was once the crown jewel of Allegheny County..

Sad..

And the company wants to expand Philly? Who are they kidding?
If you can't understand why Philly is preferable to Pitt from a revenue standpoint, I don't think anyone can help you.

I thought all the Teamster rampers at PSA and Republic/Chat are contracted out along with the customer service agents?
Not sure who works the express operation at PIT. The passenger service agents work mainline flights per the CWA contract

Mainline works both mainline and Express in PIT. Upstairs and down stairs.

Any word on whether the Station Director will still have his own personal Shoeshine Boy after the cuts?

Mainline works both mainline and Express in PIT. Upstairs and down stairs.

Any word on whether the Station Director will still have his own personal Shoeshine Boy after the cuts?
http://www.psaairlines.com/cohist.asp

January 2008 the US Airways flight activity at the Pittsburgh International Airport was significantly reduced due to market condition changes. With the reduction of total flight activity US Airways mainline employees took over the Express flight operations at the airport. As of January 6, 2008 PSA no longer provides ground handling services.

Back