Pit Traffic Forecast

Rob

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04283/392861.stm

The reference says that PIT's overall passenger count will drop from 14 million to about 10 million. OK, I grant that much as a result of shrinking the hub connections.

The article goes on to say that O&D is expected to shrink by the same percentage: from 7 million passengers to 5 million. This part I don't get. The economy isn't supposed to change much; 30% of the PIT population aren't leaving town; the destinations to which people easily choose to drive don't account for that much traffic. Why would O&D drop so drastically?

There are several possibilities. If someone could have had a non-stop in the past and now has to connect, they might decide to just drive instead. They could drive to Cleveland and take a nonstop from there. If someone lived near, say, Erie, and used to drive to Pittsburgh for the nonstop but now needs to connect, they might now just connect out of Erie. And some people will just not go on their trip at all because it just won't be worth the hassle.

OK, I see your reasoning. MAybe the airport is being overly pessimistic.

Rob said:
OK, I see your reasoning. MAybe the airport is being overly pessimistic.
[post="189497"][/post]​

Bingo. They learned their lesson at the hands of the bk court the first time around.

CLE and CAK are starting to pull more O/D traffic, as well.