Possibility of new routes to the Middle East (i.e DXB) from CLT/DFW

A330US

Senior
Aug 10, 2005
Hello everyone,

The one thing i think the new American or even legacy lacks is a direct non-stop route to the middle east, especially Dubai. All the other american airlines are literally winning on this route, with UA from IAD and DL from ATL, those flights are literally packed. They have no seats open and are primarily filled by corp. contracts for people going to Iraq and Afghanistan as contractors. 

ATL has a direct flight non-stop, and as CLT being the competitor, i think a flight should follow through to DXB. I highly think that a flight to DOH would come first as QR is a partner airline. Its a win win situation as the planes are coming in, and there is traffic here in CLT and in the immediate region between IAD and ATL to go to DXB and south east asia alone. I emailed Andrew Nocella about this a while ago, but that wasnt much...

any thoughts.

A330US said:
Hello everyone,

The one thing i think the new American or even legacy lacks is a direct non-stop route to the middle east, especially Dubai. All the other american airlines are literally winning on this route, with UA from IAD and DL from ATL, those flights are literally packed. They have no seats open and are primarily filled by corp. contracts for people going to Iraq and Afghanistan as contractors. 

ATL has a direct flight non-stop, and as CLT being the competitor, i think a flight should follow through to DXB. I highly think that a flight to DOH would come first as QR is a partner airline. Its a win win situation as the planes are coming in, and there is traffic here in CLT and in the immediate region between IAD and ATL to go to DXB and south east asia alone. I emailed Andrew Nocella about this a while ago, but that wasnt much...

any thoughts.
I think the Middle East is a difficult nut to crack given Emirates and Etihad's ambitions for world expansion. Except for where they compete with Delta, that is. 

QR starts PHL and DFW service this year.  I think DOH could be better served through and alliance instead of AAG metal. If PHL and DFW are successful I wouldn't be surprised to see them expand to CLT.

AA's made the choice to use QR's metal from ORD, DFW, and PHL. Putting a big American flag into those places is still not what I'd consider a wise move. I'd be amazed to see them expand into CLT...

E, I agree with you on the biz sense regarding the "metal" , but disagree that the american flag would be a big issue.

Any of those Emirates puts you under the protection of the biggest, meanest dude with the most money and the secret police. Generally, AA wouldn't be screwed with.

I see it somewhat like flying to Colombia. I did a few years into one of those cities regarded as a war zone. Initially was concerned, but then felt safer than anywhere laying over there. Why? Because the Cartel owned the hotel and not that they cared about us, but it would reflect badly on their business if the crews were harmed. 3 guys robbed and killed somebody in the lobby once. Bad mistake. The Cartel was not amused and the station personnel reported things didn't go well for them after they were caught.

Worldwide airline now. Only thing really matters is the "coin" involved.

autofixer said:
USAirways was looking seriously at Dubai, Istanbul and Moscow last year, before the merger.
Really ? Any sources ? Very curious..... From where ?

Pen entry to the market is inevitable, but it's never going to happen from Charlotte, which will only be losing long-haul, not gaining. It doesn't have to be to AA what ATL is to DL, because AA also has MIA, the largest and most important international travel market from the Southeast to Europe and the Americas.

Also, re: QR, it also begins MIA this year, too, between PHL and DFW launching.

Parker and Kirby are stated they are adding International destinations from CLT, this next summer schedule adds new cities in Europe from CLT.

I'm sure they'll add destinations appropriate for CLT's traffic mix.

But it's time to face reality -- not every hub is going to wind up flying to all the same destinations.

At some point, they're going to start picking winners and losers between DFW, PHL, JFK, CLT, ORD, and MIA.

eolesen, AA has a lot of service to the same destinations from most hubs, LHR,CDG,MAD,BCN, and some just a few to offer, opposed to US CLT & PHL. What are your predictions ? 

Not a lot of predictions just yet. MAN is one example that I think is questionable from ORD, JFK and CLT. One will fall off.

Outside of London and Paris, I just don't see too many destinations supporting service from two, let alone three hubs. Perhaps MAD because of the Iberia hub, but that's an anomaly not repeated in too many other destinations in Europe.

Not sure what to think eolsen? So then it could be possible for  all the AA/US hubs to see cuts, in service with duplicate cities. Keep us posted, Thanks.

eolesen said:
Not a lot of predictions just yet. MAN is one example that I think is questionable from ORD, JFK and CLT. One will fall off.

Outside of London and Paris, I just don't see too many destinations supporting service from two, let alone three hubs. Perhaps MAD because of the Iberia hub, but that's an anomaly not repeated in too many other destinations in Europe.
PHL-MAN is served by USAIR, daily A332

Josh

Latest posts

Back