Possibility of new routes to the Middle East (i.e DXB) from CLT/DFW

AdAstraPerAspera said:
Not to take this topic further off the rails or anything, but I wonder all the time why people complain that the AA MD-80s "suck" but no one complains about Delta's MD-88s that are just as old and in many cases older? Not that it makes any difference to me, I like the MD-80 and I am disappointed that I rarely get them at LGA now.

DL's MD80's suck too. 
I think DL operates MD88's and MD90's which were manufactured/introduced around 1986-1990 (give or take a few years).  AA's planes MD82's and MD83's were manufactured/introduced around 1980-1984 (give or take a few years).  Although I think the difference between the AA and DL planes is the EFIS cockpit? 
On the bright side, I think AA might be down to only 150 or so MD80's ... ... ...

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
DL's MD80's suck too. 
I think DL operates MD88's and MD90's which were manufactured/introduced around 1986-1990 (give or take a few years).  AA's planes MD82's and MD83's were manufactured/introduced around 1980-1984 (give or take a few years).  Although I think the difference between the AA and DL planes is the EFIS cockpit? 
On the bright side, I think AA might be down to only 150 or so MD80's ... ... ...
Some of the ex-TWA -83s were delivered in the 1999-2001 timeframe, in fact there are currently 738s in the fleet that are older than MD-83.But even the S80s are better than US aircraft. Yes some of the newer US Airbus aircraft are fine but they lack power and the America West planes are especially dumpy.

Josh

nycbusdriver said:

The east US 757s are all of 1990s vintage.  The very old ones (ex-EAL) were all retired (scrapped is a better term) since they could not be brought to ETOPS standards.  I don't know how old the AWA 757s are.

The above is an AWA 757 so it stands to reason they are 1980s vintage, at least some of them, anyway

737823 said:
Some of the ex-TWA -83s were delivered in the 1999-2001 timeframe, in fact there are currently 738s in the fleet that are older than MD-83.But even the S80s are better than US aircraft. Yes some of the newer US Airbus aircraft are fine but they lack power and the America West planes are especially dumpy.

Josh

This is very true, most people don't realize just how new the MD-83s are. The final MD-83 to roll off the assembly line in Long Beach is in AA's fleet, newer than all of Delta's MD-90s.

JOSH  the best you can do is just avoid the whole new AA        700 as for the 734s you are correct 12 are left and will be gone by end of the yr    new 321s for the us side are slated to come in as well   don't remember the count    as for new middle east routes  I think an addition of the tlv from phl  not sure of dxb or others

If AA were to pump up Clt's ego about making it an intl mecca, I would hope airport mgmnt would be smart enough to get some type of binding agreement before the city began building/expanding concourses they may have to shutter in a couple of years...

The last thing any responsible airline management wants is for an airport to expand.

It just adds to the landing fees, and opens the door to more competition.

eolesen said:
The last thing any responsible airline management wants is for an airport to expand.

It just adds to the landing fees, and opens the door to more competition.
These added cost along with the higher labor costs will really do wonders to CLT's profitability as a hub.

Josh

AdAstraPerAspera said:

And US's 757s are some of the oldest in the air! Ordered for Republic back in the early eighties. Here's a US 757 in its salad days:

Republic_Airlines_Boeing_757_Groves.jpg
I actually flew on Republic on its 1st day. July 1, 1979 MSP-DEN. Hard to believe it was that long ago when Republic flew.

737823 said:
These added cost along with the higher labor costs will really do wonders to CLT's profitability as a hub.

Josh

Paid for by airport bonds. Landing fees or anything are not going up. Do your own fact check sir.

So this topic went from International routes....to bashing....and airplane conditions ?

AA MD80s had so many maintenance issues that they had to be grounded at one point due to LACK of maintenance. I despise old AA only because they were so old. Only thing good about them was the 777s and they were old too until the 773s came along.

US always has had a much better fleet than any other airline in the US except DL

It wasnt due to lack of maintenance.

It was an improper written job card, the mechanics at AA had nothing to do with why the MD80 had the issue.

It has been widely reported that the FAA has increased the auditing of maintenance records of all airlines. During the audit of American Airlines, a joint team of AA and FAA inspectors raised questions regarding an already accomplished directive concerning how a certain bundle of wires is secured to the MD-80 aircraft. We are re-inspecting the MD-80s to make sure the wiring is installed and secured exactly according to the directive.

Because the process can take several hours per aircraft, we have had to cancel approximately 200 flights as the aircraft are being inspected. Many inspections have already been completed and the aircraft are currently in service. We are in the process of completing the inspections on the remaining airplanes and will return them to service on a rolling basis throughout the day.

700UW said:
It wasnt due to lack of maintenance.

It was an improper written job card, the mechanics at AA had nothing to do with why the MD80 had the issue.

Thank You for the clarification, I was wrong 

A330US said:
US always has had a much better fleet than any other airline in the US except DL
You must not fly much as a revenue passenger... AS and HA have had the best fleet for ages.

AA's no champion of inflight comfort, but the last few times I've flown on pm-US aircraft in the past five years (yes, I'm smart enough to check tail numbers) I could have thought I was flying on a carrier in Venezuela or central Africa. Duct tape holding the overhead bin lid from delaminating, nasty carpets...

Paid for by airport bonds. Landing fees or anything are not going up. Do your own fact check sir.

landing fees are increasing... that per the AD himself making that announcement...

Latest posts

Back