Possible buyouts at LCC?

Who's leaving anytime soon? ..... We lost our retirement to Stephen Wolf, David Siegel and companies golden parachutes. But who knows Obama is handing out plenty of food stamps these days ,,, so maybe there will be some takers ....

Keep in mind that this "generous" $40,000 buyout at AA is before taxes (which will be deducted before you get the check), and it can not be rolled into your 401-K or IRA. (The thieves at headquarters actually approached the IRS about ways that employees taking the early out could avoid lump sum taxes. IRS said no because it is an amount taken voluntarily. If the taker was being laid off with a $40,000 separation payment, it could be rolled into a retirement plan.

I heard one person say that she expected to "clear" about $27,000 of the buyout. But, this is a flight attendant who just got her nursing degree, and she is leaving to take a $70,000/yr nursing job. Poor dear. :blush:

I just read that 901 American Airlines Flight Attendants have signed up so far for the $40,000 buyout. Standing room only at the road show briefings.

By now, the total is likely to be just over 1,500. Early Thursday morning, the total was 1,338 and the pattern has been at least 100 elections per day.

While I find your assessment a bit harsh, US Airways hasn't to my knowledge done a buyout/early retirement in it's history.The reason is CASH and it takes a great deal of it to fund buyouts. DP & SK are first and foremost cash horders so a buyout would seem to be a long shot. If it takes a buyout to seal the merger you'll be offered a package.

The closest US Airways came to a "buy out", was the VFLR; Total approx 100 took that in 2005 and 2006.

If it got me retirement benefits (can't retire until 2019 with 21 years) I'd seriously consider it. Since I'm looking for a job outside of US in the next few years it would certainly hasten my leaving.

That that you speak of was for the FA group, but there were others for the Fleet & CSA that I mentioned previously in this thread.

Back