Would this work at US Airways?

If the company offered a generous buyout package like Southwest is to their employees, the senior mamas would be gone in a skinny minute.

So many were planning to leave yet ending up staying after the company yanked their pensions out from underneath them and discontinued medical health benefits for retirees. You have no idea how expensive health insurance is.

Don't judge the senior f/a's on this one. They want to retire, They just can't because their plans got shot to hell in BK. :down:
I wouldn't know, I never had a pension plan. Yet, you CHOOSE to stay here. I can't understand the hearthache it has caused, but YOU do have a choice in whether to see how things turn out for the better, or leave..JMHO :)

That was a rather snotty response.
Look. I never have worked for your so called "legacy" carrier? I don't know how it was to have all the benefits of working for such a great airline with top scales, pensions, etc. I feel for you. But I come from an airline, AmWest, where we never had such great things. I came here knowing exactly what I was getting myself into. I might be younger, and haven't seen all the hearthaches of the business, but I choose to stay here because I love my job! I have frustrations just like you. If that seems snooty, I am sorry. :(

One of the big reasons for the operational problems the airline finds itself in right now is the fact that too many people on the customer service side took the last buyout. Many of the people who were primarily responsible for the fierce loyalty many of us have had (until recently) to US Airways took their shot and jumped. As a result, any savings which might have been realized by having senior folks leave was obliterated by the very lack of their presence.

I continue to believe that the issue is not wages, it is productivity and operational efficiencies. Things like scheduling, more efficient use of aircraft AND aircrew, making sure there is proper coverage at the right times, and perhaps keeping crews with aircraft--all things which have been discussed and poo pooed before, would probably save the company enough money to give some back to the fine folks on the front line.

That said, I fear any further buyouts will have the opposite of the desired effect. There is a balance, however, in that there are some folks who really need to move on....such as the 28 yr FA mentioned above. I don't wish anyone to lose their job, but maybe in some cases it's for the best.

Without having better labor relations, there is no hope to save this place. You can't have happy customers without happy employees, and you can't have a company without customers.

My BEST to you all....

Exactly, but it is what it is NOW!

Nope.

What it should be.

The 28 year FA has it exactly correct.

Working with morons like you would likely make me cranky also.

The fact of the matter is, the company (can) makes plenty of money. Just because it does not "show up" on the carefully disguised balance sheets doesn't mean they are losing money. Consider, if you will, that US lost money for 15 years. That the entire airline industry has lost 2 to 3 times what they ever made. Why are they still in business?

The answer is that they are indeed making lucrative amounts of money, so much so that investors like GE Cap. and others will not go elsewhere. They used 9-11 to entrain more revenue from employees to themselves and the employees fell for it.

Dougie and his boys are part-time managers of US. Their full-time job is to manage cash-flow to corporations like GE Cap.

Once you realize the truth of what is happening, it kinda grates on ones nerves to see your fellow employees stupidly think they are actually "saving" the company by trying to "save" the company.

Look around, read and try not to let the bastards take any more than you can stand.

I truly do feel for our f/a's that want to retire but can't now. I wish the company would offer them a package of sorts to leave. It will only save the company in the long run. Give them what they want and the company in turn has lower labor costs as far as flight attendants go. It's a no brainer really. Oh wait a minute, I forgot who we were talking about here. It's all about keeping misery company here. :rolleyes: Silly me.

That reminds me of a f/a I flew with last year. He was really rude to everyone.

sky high states: yadda, yadda, yadda. Like anyone cant tell stories about "reserves" who hate life as well. <yawn>
POINT IS, those with SENIORITY, gave up ALOT in concessions to STAY HERE. (everyone did) Yet, YOU dismiss them as old timers, who should leave so YOU can gain better work rules and benefits. LOL.

That's a pathetic view of your CO-WORKER. Nice values!

only stating opinions

I truly do feel for our f/a's that want to retire but can't now. I wish the company would offer them a package of sorts to leave. It will only save the company in the long run. Give them what they want and the company in turn has lower labor costs as far as flight attendants go. It's a no brainer really. Oh wait a minute, I forgot who we were talking about here. It's all about keeping misery company here. :rolleyes: Silly me.

DITTO!

Exactly, but it is what it is NOW!
Would you walk the picket line to improve your pay and benefits? If your answer is NO then management will continue to try to pay agent $13.09 TOS with merit raises. The agents in the east had to take a strike vote and threat a strike to keep your old pay scale and non-existing work rules out of their contract. The west agents are benefiting for long hard two bankruptcies negotiating with a management team who is one of the best that busted every contract on the property

Would you walk the picket line to improve your pay and benefits? If your answer is NO then management will continue to try to pay agent $13.09 TOS with merit raises. The agents in the east had to take a strike vote and threat a strike to keep your old pay scale and non-existing work rules out of their contract. The west agents are benefiting for long hard two bankruptcies negotiating with a management team who is one of the best that busted every contract on the property
I am not an agent. A fa! :rolleyes:

Latest posts