Status
Not open for further replies.

AirlineKid

Oct 9, 2013
I've been hearing rumors around work about Delta possibly expanding/introducing service to South and Latim America from Miami. I didn't think much of it but recently I've noticed they've been putting a lot of positions in MIA on ebid.  I know rumors and workplace gossip aren't good sources but I figured I would post here and see what others think.

MAH has been on here repeatedly saying Latin America is Open Skies... except GRU but that will be added within a couple years.

Glad to hear the rumors. If there is a smoke, there probably is fire.

DL has several key strategic areas that they need to work on to cover all of the global regions from each of the primary gateways to that region. MIA-Latin America is an obvious hole that needs to be filled and it is certain that DL will do it soon based on its partnerships with AeroMexico, Gol, and Aerolineas Argentinas (as much as they can do).

The 319s are being equipped to do int'l flying with a stated intent to use them to/from Latin America.

Pilots are being told that DL will be pushing its fleet hard this summer and that a widebody order is on the horizon.

You can also expect to see DL filling out and adding to its MIA domestic network.

Reactions: 2 people
q,
why are we once again underwhelmed by your contribution to the discussion?

robbedagain said:
yep thus the conquering from delta continues      I doubt they'll get as much as what aa does out of mia
they aren't trying to.

Like ORD and EWR, they will have a presence in other carriers' hubs to be able to sell DL in all of the key global markets.

It doesn't take a great deal of strategic planning to recognize the strategic value of being able to have an expansive - perhaps the most expansive network among US carriers.

Whether DL succeeds or not, they still have a more successful track record of adding service into other carriers' hubs and key markets than other carriers do into DL hubs.

Reactions: 4 people
700UW said:
And dont worry about the pesky fact of needing route authorities.
I didn't think of that.  Do you need route authorities for all the countries in South America? 

Most of Latin America has Open Skies or will in the next few years which means there are no real legal limitations to DL adding service over the next couple years.

glad to have you on the forum, btw

Glenn Quagmire said:
Is that AirlineKid sitting next to Spectator?
I don't know who Spectator is.  I'm not here to say that Delta is going to take over the industry or the world or that we are the best airline/company; I was just posting about a rumor I have been hearing at work.  I'm on this forum to learn more about the industry and how things work at other airlines.

AirlineKid  welcome to the forums..     each airline  the work is same or similar but with different views and policies etc as is the travel agreements on carriers.

one thing about rumors is  its just rumors til it comes to life.   welcome to the forums

DL Is the second largest US legacy at MIA, it's a decent sized operation. People in South Florida know DL and the DL brand, Terminal 2 at FLL is the "Delta Terminal", DL has much more service at MIA than UA (mostly express) or US (only a small handful of flights to not even all hubs).

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
Most of Latin America has Open Skies or will in the next few years which means there are no real legal limitations to DL adding service over the next couple years.

glad to have you on the forum, btw

robbedagain said:
AirlineKid  welcome to the forums..     each airline  the work is same or similar but with different views and policies etc as is the travel agreements on carriers.

one thing about rumors is  its just rumors til it comes to life.   welcome to the forums

Thanks!

With the exception of GRU, there's really nothing stopping DL from doing this now.

since GRU is the largest market in the region, DL would be going in with their hand tied behind their back.

Further, DL is clearly focusing its competitive efforts on the west coast. Based on current schedules, DL will offer more than 15% more seats in the 3 west coast states by the end of the announced buildup at SEA and will be on par with AA/US in terms of size.

Given that DL's already started Pacific expansion depends on its west coast growth, it makes sense to get that right first.

DL is still growing at a very fast 30%+ growth rate in Latin America and the Caribbean- with the growth primarily focused on Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean and is neck and neck with UA for #2 in the region depending on the time period measured.

DL will take on S. America and Latin America from MIA in time...

Status
Not open for further replies.