My final word on US/DL

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
You obviously are terribly enjoying yourselves. You predicted a year ago that DL would disappear into oblivion. It didn’t happen. In the meantime, DL has orchestrated one of the greatest/strongest/most successful/fastest turnarounds in airline history despite your incessant desire to prove otherwise. Oh I know those are all very hard words to measure so I’ll not argue the point if you think someone else is just as good as Delta – maybe even better on anything other than quantifiable metrics. On those measures, DL is doing just fine, thank you very much.

And now along comes a wet behind the ears executive who manages to shrink two airlines in the midst of one of the strongest economies in a real long time, slash its employee wages to the lowest levels in the industry, and then proclaims that he is one of the best airline managers in the industry and therefore should be given the right to take over another airline. And you all get so excited about the prospect of wiping out a competitor that you couldn’t see clearly if your life depended on it.

I’ve read a number of your posts regarding US’ proposal and have decided that the best course of action will be to make a single consolidated final statement on the issue. Since none of us has any control over it, beating the issue senseless accomplishes nothing… and quite frankly I don’t have the time, energy, or desire to reply to your baffoonish comments. In fact, some discussion boards have cut off discussion on the issue because it has generated far more heat than light with nothing real being accomplished by continuing to discuss the topic. Instead, I’ll wait until this deal is put to rest and then measure who best understands the airline industry by who was proven wrong. I encourage each of you to review your postings from a year ago regarding DL and see how wrong most of you were – and still are. Witness the change in heart from the ever-waffling NHBB who just weeks ago admitted that the vision of a strong DL was indeed taking place.

Let me first of all thank each of you for your incredible support over all the years I have been posting on this board. Along with another forum, I have made nearly 4000 posts which you have vociferously read. More significantly, no one has defined internet discussion forums regarding a single carrier as much as I have regarding DL. It has been my pleasure to share my wisdom with you and despite your attempts, you find it possible only to argue with semantics (and then not even successfully) than the substance of what I say.

I began my “career†as an internet poster as DL slid into its darkest days. Despite a recognition that the Mullin management team didn’t get it, the damage to DL was too great for it to be turned around when Katrina sent fuel prices soaring and DL’s credit card processing agreements came up for renewal – without a trip to bankruptcy. My purpose – not surprisingly – then as it is now is to vocalize why I believe DL will emerge as a strong and viable independent carrier. There is absolutely nothing that has happened over the past 2 weeks that has made me change my mind. The irony is that DL executives would have given the company away a year ago but are not about to walk away from the hard work that has turned DL around so well today.... or to shortchange the employees who made it happen.

I suppose some of you are particularly enjoying the opportunity to lash out at Delta – and me – because of the intensity of the remarks I made about United – and that is certainly understandable. However, let’s make a few things very clear about my views regarding United. I still do not understand how United managed to get itself into such a horrible predicament despite having one of the best route systems in the world (a claim which they will be unable to make in just a few years when compared to DL’s expansive six continent spanning network). UA’s bankruptcy was still the longest and costliest in airline history (you can be assured that the threat of more takeover threats will only hasten DL’s exit out of bankruptcy). While never known for its labor-mgmt relations, UA could only turn itself around by slashing its employee’s wages second only from the bottom to USAirways. And UA just posted an industry AVERAGE profit – nearly four years after filing for BK.

For years, I have consistently told UA employees and stakeholders that if they were unhappy with the pace of UA’s reorganization that they should pressure management to do a better job. Long before UA management acknowledged that its post-BK costs were still too high, I was highly critical of UA’s costs. While the pressure has not been comfortable for UA employees, it was obviously necessary. UA is now a stronger and viable airline. And yet many of you say you still don’t support UA management. Incredible.

I have also frequently stated that UA’s Mileage Plus card is the only other frequent flyer program I belong to besides DL’s. While I have often proclaimed that DL would acquire UA’s Pacific routes in a bid to become a significant player in Asia, I am particularly pleased that DL is on the verge of expanding its presence in Asia to the point where they will at least have a reasonable presence.

Since some of you think I speak doubletalk by no longer believing there is a need for mergers or asset acquisitions, you also cannot find anywhere that I advocated that UA be stopped from using its legal right to file its own plan of reorganization. Nor have I ever advocated a hostile takeover – because airline history unequivocally shows they don’t work.

So, I’ll summarize why I don’t think the US proposal to acquire DL will work. You might also want to see what Mike Boyd says at www.aviationplanning.com. He and I are on the same page.

1. There is no need for consolidation in the airline industry now, esp. when the basis of any merger involves reducing capacity and closing hubs. The traveling public is facing higher fares and fuller planes than they have seen in years. No one outside of the financial interests that will profit from a deal will support one. Whether you want to admit it or not, airlines are still very carefully guarded businesses whose interests are more dictated by the government than Wall Street.

2. US’ assertion that antitrust issues can be worked out is laughable. DL and US completely overlap each other. There is nothing to be gained by combining the networks and a whole lot of service will be lost. Antitrust issues are not about ATL or CLT but about cities like DCA, ILM, TYS, and SCE. Those kinds of cities will face enormous loss of service and that is where the objections will come from – and they can’t be fixed.

3. DL will quite frankly present a stronger plan of reorg than US can. The only assertion that US can make is that they have a strong historical stock price – but there is no assertion that US can continue to grow profits without continuing to shrink its route system – exactly why Doug wants to do a deal. The sledding is about to get tough for US and Doug wants a way to continue to prop up US, even if it means lying through your teeth to convince everyone you aren’t eliminating a competitor. If US really wanted to expand its network and create new opportunities for its company, it would have gone after NW which is far more compatible in many dimensions. On financial terms alone, DL can just as easily offer its creditors and bondholders as good of a recovery as US is offering. There is nothing magical about US’ ability to promise something that DL cannot top.

4. DL people. While few of you will never grasp why I grew to respect and started flying DL 30 years ago, it has been and always will be the people of Delta that are distinct in the industry. It is no surprise that DL mgmt and employees are standing shoulder to shoulder in opposing this merger because they realize the DL heritage and way of life is at stake. And it’s not just emotion. DL built its restructuring around the concept that employees and mgmt would gain equity and profit sharing in the reorganized Delta. All of that would be wiped out in ANY takeover. And while you may think employees are just pawns in the hands of a few executives, I would remind you of the power of employees at airline after airline to destroy the company rather than do what management wants. In an industry where labor and management fight more than cooperate and where hostile takeovers have never worked even when mgmt and labor has been at each other’s necks for years, anyone that honestly believes that a hostile takeover can succeed against the wishes of both DL labor and management is quite frankly a fool.
History is replete with examples of people overthrowing their unwanted rulers. Wall Street will simply not put billions at risk when it is apparent that management and labor can and very likely would derail the entire plan – and that applies to ANY takeover attempts, even if US’ fails.

Does it not strike you as curious in the least that the 2 airlines that have been most ruthless in treating their employees are the ones that are most interested in turning deals in order for their executives to profit? AA, CO, and DL have all embraced a new era of cooperation in labor-management relations while UA and US and even NW still have adversarial relationships where the employees are given little opportunity to financially benefit from the turnaround which they make happen. DL's employees held onto their industry leading pay longer into the industry restructuring cycle than employees at any other airline and will recover more of it sooner - while some employees will never recover any of what they gave up.

It will be shown to be the ultimate irony of this era of industry restructuring that Delta people will have exerted greater influence over their future than have the hundreds of thousands of union represented employees who are so used to fighting with management that they couldn’t possibly work together if they had to.

You can go back and read my 18-24 to do list for DL posted in May and see that Delta is right on track with not only what I predicted then. So what’s next for Delta?

1. They will turn down US’ proposal purely on financial terms. While DL could resort to the gov’t to stop this merger, it will stand as a testament to DL’s turnaround that they defeated this and future takeover attempts solely on the financial merits which should matter. Don’t be fooled into believing that DL couldn’t take the antitrust or employee route to accomplish its goals if it needs to strengthen its defense.

2. DL will present its own POR and will have it accepted.

3. DL will continue to expand its network with service to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East using widebody aircraft since only half of the internationally deployable aircraft have been deployed for int’l use. The ex-AA 757s will be used to further strengthen DL’s presence in Latin America and Europe.

4. DL’s product will continue to be enhanced to be industry leading, a term US doesn’t even know how to spell.

5. DL employees and management will obtain the fruit of their labors – something no other airline employees will experience to the same degree.

I know this is way more than most of you can digest so I’ll stop. But as US’ proposal unwinds and DL continues its plan of reorganization and emergence as an independent airline, I’ll be particularly looking for accountability from those of you who argued a year ago and now argue for DL’s demise.

Reactions: 1 person
I’ve read a number of your posts regarding US’ proposal and have decided that the best course of action will be to make a single consolidated final statement on the issue. Since none of us has any control over it, beating the issue senseless accomplishes nothing… and quite frankly I don’t have the time, energy, or desire to reply to your baffoonish comments.

So predictable. Things aren't going your way so you dissappear. I'm assuming you'll return when there's an outcome and say how:

a. if the hostile bid fails: you told us so
b. if the hostile bid succeeds: how it's suddenly the best thing for DL

Sure you gave it when news was bad for UA, but you can't take it when it happens to DL. What a total cop-out

I encourage each of you to review your postings from a year ago regarding DL and see how wrong most of you were – and still are. Witness the change in heart from the ever-waffling NHBB who just weeks ago admitted that the vision of a strong DL was indeed taking place.

I recommend you do the same WT because I surfed through some of yours and many many predictions you had didn't come true.

I’ll be particularly looking for accountability from those of you who argued a year ago and now argue for DL’s demise.

For the record, I'm not hoping for DL's demise. I'm holding you accountable for inaccurate claims and calling you out for the fact that you can't take the heat.

United Chicago,
you will proven wrong now as you were 2 years ago when I was beating you up. Wanna give up now or shall I just keep pounding away. I'll be sure and quote you and your inaccurate prophecies when they are ALL clearly shown to be wrong.

I'm still waiting WT. I don't care when you resurface but I'll be back to remind you to post the proof to your statement above

I’ll be particularly looking for accountability from those of you who argued a year ago and now argue for DL’s demise.
I see.

You will demand accountability from others, but when others demand accountability from you, you tuck your tail between your legs, whimper for a while, and go home.

Pathetic.

I know this is way more than most of you can digest so I’ll stop. But as US’ proposal unwinds and DL continues its plan of reorganization and emergence as an independent airline, I’ll be particularly looking for accountability from those of you who argued a year ago and now argue for DL’s demise.
WT that is without a doubt the dumbest post I've ever read!

World,

Regarding your #4 reason...I'm not sure how you can say that for everyone. Most of the people I worked are still very bitter and don't believe real change is happening. Some of them worked on the teams Jerry put together when he started to look at Network, Product & Cost. In the end, there was (and continues to be) a lot of "but we never did it that way" or "Delta can't do that" response to problems. Do I think there are good people there. But there are good and bad at every company...in my experience, I'd say Delta's are just more disolusioned. It's a matter of opinion. To say Delta's are better than others...you don't really believe things like that do you?

As a note, I initially thought this deal would succeed, however, think that US's own employees will be the demise. Not the markets, not DOJ, not DOT, not investors and creditors.

All I can say about WT's last post is that we will wait and see. I think I'll keep this thread handy and come March we'll need to review this post against what has happened between now and then. mama

Doug Parker "wet behind the ears"??? Not only is WT downright ignorant and blinded by his love for DL, but this last post shows that he has an ego that makes edited by moderator look downright humble.

Anyone who feels otherwise is entitled to their opinion, but Doug Parker is one of the few CEO's today with any respect in financial circles. Grinsteen and Whitehurst have about zero credibility with the banks at this point, so go ahead and put your faith in them if you choose to.

Doug Parker "wet behind the ears"??? Not only is WT downright ignorant and blinded by his love for DL, but this last post shows that he has an ego that makes Chip Munn look downright humble.

Anyone who feels otherwise is entitled to their opinion, but Doug Parker is one of the few CEO's today with any respect in financial circles. Grinsteen and Whitehurst have about zero credibility with the banks at this point, so go ahead and put your faith in them if you choose to.

Good point, I also thought that was a low class remark about Doug Parker, but what do you expect from "WT", he has an ego that matches none. How dare this young whupper snapper make a run at this beloved Delta. I really don't care what WT thinks about him, his opinion means NOTHING. The ones that matter are the ones on WS. I think CitiCorp has some respect for the man or the money wouldn't be sitting waiting. There is no better Kool-Aid drinker than WT. Gerry must drop ship it to him.

I just got off the phone with Doug Parker in Tempe, told him he's wasteing his time. Yep, told him there will be "NO DEAL" just like the game show. Told him "WT" enlightened all of us tonight with a multiple paragraph rant about Delta and how Delta was light years ahead of others that have filed bankruptcy even though a few articles have said Northwest is alot further along..oh well.

The indians are circleing the wagon "WT" and the head indian is Chief Parker. You know WT, after this is all done, ya know the buyout, and you meet Mr. Parker...I think you'll like him!! :up: Maybe his ears will be dry by then.......

Your a class act WT, a real class act. I bet you spend hours in front of the mirror everyday in amazement with yourself! I think it's ironic...the Delta symbol means "change" and I think you will see change Mr. WT and I hope UnitedChicago jumps all over your case with your over bearing chest pounding about Delta because he has called you to the table about most of your past postings!!

Guess it's time for another vacation!

The indians are circleing the wagon "WT" and the head indian is Chief Parker. You know WT, after this is all done, ya know the buyout, and you meet Mr. Parker...I think you'll like him!! :up: Maybe his ears will be dry by then.......

I think I hear a bet. Merge happens or doesn't.
Now, what's the bet? Loser must retire their screen name?
What say you Fluf, WT?
In my best Meatloaf impersonation... what's it gonna be boy? What's is gonna be?

I think I hear a bet. Merge happens or doesn't.
Now, what's the bet? Loser must retire their screen name?
What say you Fluf, WT?
In my best Meatloaf impersonation... what's it gonna be boy? What's is gonna be?

Not a bad Meatloaf..."WT" is not worth even giving up a screen name for. Maybe he can change his to "The LCC World Traveler"...oh I bet that hurts him to read!!

PS: I bet this is NOT his final words!! Trust me, he's lurking around!

"The LCC World Traveler"...I like that, what do you think guys?

Being on the Delta board only since the merger announcement, I wondered who is this wise sage WT they all keep referring to and boy to have them all so mad he must really be sharp.
After reading this extremely un-insightful and apparently lacking industry and business acumen all I can say is ho-hum!

OK, World Traveler, my turn .

(I know "this is a DANGEROUS term", but)....Your RIGHT !!

I did think DL was onto something, with all the JFK build up. However, in the end, THAT may be there DEMISE !!

With Tilton, and Gerry(admittedly) NOT being good "day to day" airline Guru's, and Steenland(NW), being one of the LUCKIEST mother f-ers alive(that not one of his unions did'nt shut him down), the industry is left with Arpey/AA......Kelly/WN.......Parker/US-HP.......And Kellner/CO.
True, Parker is the weakest of the four(Yes I know he's loved on wall street).

Nonetheless, people like Parker, and his seemingly unothodox "offer", "can win" !!
(Sadly I think about the Boston Red Sox, beating my BELOVED NY Yankees, while the Yankees were up 3 games to 0)

Anything that DL brings forward to the stockholders is a PLAN. A PLAN is an unproven(AT THE TIME) "ESTIMATE"

Parker is putting COLD HARD CASH on the table !!
(Think, "money talks, and BULL #### walks")

YOU(and) DL seem to send the message to all of us who know(of) you, that you both "seem" to forget that you2 are in BANKRUPTCY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BK judge has a RESPONSIBILITY to take the BE$T offer(not a hypothetical ESTIMATE) !!!!!!!

Look WT, I'm no fan of Parker, or HP. (Not so US), but you've got to hand it to him. He orchestrated "ONE BALLSY move", that has a BETTER than 50/50 chance of coming to Fruition.

I suggest, for a back up plan, that you make an appointment with a "cracker jack" Psycotherapist.
You can always cancel, if you "luck out"

Good luck. You may VERY WELL...need it !!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

OK, World Traveler, my turn .

The BK judge has a RESPONSIBILITY to take the BE$T offer(not a hypothetical ESTIMATE) !!!!!!!

NewHampshire,

I disagree with most of your posting; but most of our disagreement is based entirely on opinion. However, your statement regarding the Bankruptcy Judge's responsibility is misleading at best.

First, the judge does not have the responsibility to "take" any offer. It is the responsibility of the creditors to accept the plan. Management has an exclusive period of 120 days (may be extended) to offer a plan to the creditors. Then, management has 180 days to have the creditors accept the plan. The plan may be modified during that time to gain the creditor's approval. Most of the process during this time is done outside the courtroom and away from the judge.

After a plan has been accepted by the creditors (or cram-down) it then is brought before the judge for the confirmation hearing. At this point, the judge looks at the plan and confirms that it meets the requirements of the applicable Bankruptcy Code.

There is a guaranty that a plan will be in the best interest of the creditor. However, this guaranty is not a requirement that the judge pick the best plan as you suggest. Rather, this requirement guarantees that a creditor will receive at least as much in the reorganization as it would under a hypothetical liquidation.

Do you think that a creditor would even accept a plan that would pay them less money than they would receive under liquidation??? I can guarantee you that both plans (Delta's and US's) will provide the creditors with an amount that is greater than what they would receive under a hypothetical liquidation; thus, the Judge will not need to decide between the two plans and certainly will not have to decide what the "best" plan is. That decision will be left to the creditor committees.

All true, however since this filing was done before the new BK laws took effect, the judge has sole power over whether or not the 120 day exclusivity period should be extended.

So far, DL has received their extensions without objection, and that's pretty much been the case with most large filings, which is why the amended BK law limits exclusivity to 18 months from the date of filing.

While extensions have pretty much been a rubber stamp approval up to know, there hasn't been a viable party waiting in the wings with a Plan B. This time, there is, and I'm pretty certain that there will be more than a few creditors arguing against the extension.