Power Port Removal-airbus Narrow Body

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I just read a rumor on another board that the decision has been made to disable, then remove the power ports on the narrowbody Airbus fleet (319,320,321).

Can anyone confirm or comment?

I guess CCY is doing anything they can in their last breaths to tick off business travelers? I use the ports all the time.....as do many others.

This is about as smart as keeping Crellin....or de-rolling PHL......

My best to you all.....

Art at ISP said:
I just read a rumor on another board that the decision has been made to disable, then remove the power ports on the narrowbody Airbus fleet (319,320,321).

Can anyone confirm or comment?

I guess CCY is doing anything they can in their last breaths to tick off business travelers? I use the ports all the time.....as do many others.

This is about as smart as keeping Crellin....or de-rolling PHL......

My best to you all.....
[post="300090"][/post]​

Art at ISP, have not heard anything; however, this may be a request from Tempe, not CCY. HP's history in aircraft orders is to order the minimum amount of "bells and whistles" (so to speak). Last month, you saw that US Airways will no longer carry pets in the cargo hold -- this was due in part to HP aircraft cargo holds not being pressurized. It would not surprise me if they get rid of the power ports; it's more maintenance and I guess everyone is going to have to get used to this new "LCC." It might be back to carrying two laptop batteries...sigh :(

It was in either the CSBRF or US Airways today. Supposedly it is due to high maintenence costs. It will start going into effect after all work groups have been informed. It's happening.

evprincess said:
It was in either the CSBRF or US Airways today. Supposedly it is due to high maintenence costs. It will start going into effect after all work groups have been informed. It's happening.
[post="300094"][/post]​

I was going to say they are not doing it for comonality. They won't spend money just to spend money either there is a cost/performance issue or a saftey issue. You don't un-mod an AC just for the heck of it. It is a big undertaking. You lay people would be suprised what a big issue AC ineteriors are and how seemingly small things can be so expensive and problimatic for airlines. They do not do these things lightly. Hell you can't us a seat if the ashtry is missing (that is an FAA rule)? B)

a320av8r said:
It is true.
Got a CBS (Crew Broadcast System) message.
Will be capped immediately and removed during the next C check.
[post="300109"][/post]​

Not being a tech I can only guess but I bet it is a power useage/surge or fire risk issue.

Expect a lot of complaints from business travelers.

So what is the official reason? What is involved in maintaining them?

I am open to reason.......I hope it's a good one.

And I would like to know where it originated....just for the heck of it.

MarkMyWords said:
I stand corrected.....I just received a PM with a copy of the CSBrief.
[post="300096"][/post]​

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am so productive with them and it helps to justify the A fare because there is more room in FC to plug in and work. It would be nice to hear the justification.

Wow.
It is true that no HP a/c have them.
We don't have phones, either.
It is also true that HP will not do anything that costs $$, so perhaps that IS the reason?
But I always felt that eventually HP would have to get them, if only to please folks like US1Yfare. They are the overwhelming majority and the coveted business traveler.
Yet, WN is the most successful airline, bar none, and they don't have them.
Hmmmmm

I think thats its a nice added benefit for people on those longer flights... The plug in is available at Radio Shack for 6-7 dollars.
Why would they want to remove passenger power supply for laptops?

desertgal said:
Wow.
It is true that no HP a/c have them.
We don't have phones, either.
It is also true that HP will not do anything that costs $$, so perhaps that IS the reason?
But I always felt that eventually HP would have to get them, if only to please folks like US1Yfare. They are the overwhelming majority and the coveted business traveler.
Yet, WN is the most successful airline, bar none, and they don't have them.
Hmmmmm
[post="300145"][/post]​

I paid over $150 for my kit to use my laptop onboard--not that significant of an investment, but still an investment. I also find myself so much more productive on long haul flights when they are available. Not paying for things may work for HP now, but HP will now have a significant East Coast customer base and we are a little different in the Northeastern US. I don't buy cheapo tickets, I don't fly WN--and the new USAirways is going to have to remember that to survive. It's a very difficult balance. I don't need glassware, I don't need green limes, I don't need gourmet meals (although those greek scrambled eggs are really crappy)--but I do need good customer service and some perks (like the Club, laptop plugins, FC) to make my business travel productive.

Although possibly a step in the wrong direction, I see as many passengers use that powerport as I do the Phones. Most passengers ask how to plug in. They don't even know that you need the adaptor. With the price they charge to use the inflight phones, someone better be dead, in jail or the hospital for me to use that damn thing. Although you can use it to buy that "lawn rock radio" from the SkyMall catalog. LOL..... oh well, what can ya do. ;)

Latest posts