Power Port Removal-airbus Narrow Body

Truthfully......this smells of a mirror image cluster. Obviously AWA is calling the shots and everything at US that doesn't mirror AWA is being done away with. I honestly view this as a case where they don't want to spend the money to make AWA's airplanes up to spec with US. They want the customer to have a realistic expectation of what services will be on their airplane. The expense of retro fitting their exsisting airplanes probably was washed away with the rising cost of fuel. So instead of offering the power ports only on certain a/c - and the customer never knowing if we will or will not have them on their flight, they will do away with them on all a/c versus spending the money to make all AWA compliant.

If we continue to strip away the "premium" service and products, what will differentiate the "new US" (LCC) from the other to command that slightly higher fare? If JetBlue offers a better inflight service and we offer nothing, how do you convince a FF'er to fly US? Isn't that the AWA way? Charge a slight fare premium for the "premium" services on a full service carrier.

US AIRWAYS FAN said:
How does one write to Tempe or their Consumer Affairs?
[post="300182"][/post]​
You can contact America West via e-mail, phone, or snail mail. The information is all on their webpage.
americawest.com
Go to "contact us" in the upper right hand corner and then go to "comments & concerns". Here is the link:

http://www.americawest.com/awa/content/con..._relations.aspx

HP A320 family does not have power ports. Once all is said and done, how do you know which a/c is operating your flight, a former HP or former US? I think knowing ahead time NOT to expect power ports on any of the A320 family of makes sense. Although, I would love to see them in F/C, myself. I guess I'll just have to buy a 2nd battery and lug it around...

MarkMyWords said:
If JetBlue offers a better inflight service and we offer nothing, how do you convince a FF'er to fly US?
[post="300270"][/post]​

JB doesn't fly out of PHL (yet)--that was the old mentality at US until WN hit town. Hopefully, Parker doesn't share this sentiment.

EyeInTheSky said:
... you saw that US Airways will no longer carry pets in the cargo hold -- this was due in part to HP aircraft cargo holds not being pressurized...
[post="300092"][/post]​
HP cargo holds ARE pressurized. They are not heated, nor air-conditioned and animals would freeze at altitude or burn-up on the ground in PHX in the summer. AND more than 1 airline has "fried" an animal in PHX while waiting for a gate or for take-off in the middle of summer...just ask DL, CO...even when they're air-conditioned they get quite warm as the airflow isn't quite the same as the cabin...

And eventually JetBlue will fly from PHL and then what? If we continue to strip down the service what will differentiate our service? (no pets, no power ports, no oxygen, no phones, no movies.....do you see a pattern of no's here.....sounds like the Capital One commercial)

MarkMyWords said:
And eventually JetBlue will fly from PHL and then what? If we continue to strip down the service what will differentiate our service? (no pets, no power ports, no oxygen, no phones, no movies.....do you see a pattern of no's here.....sounds like the Capital One commercial)
[post="300281"][/post]​

Perhaps this is the first step in a process that will see a better inflight entertainment system installed in the merged fleet. Pehaps Satellite TV or Inflight Wireless is in the offing. Or not.

Who said "no movies"? HP A320 family have video. They're even getting larger screens in F/C on their newest deliveries (since May, with more yet to come...)

MarkMyWords said:
Truthfully......this smells of a mirror image cluster.
[post="300266"][/post]​

I tend to agree, if only for 1 reason. Some of the 737 fleet has been flying around with the IFE system operational but unused except for the safety and 10,000 ft announcements since the days they came off transcons. Between maintenance and carrying around the extra weight, how much has that cost over the years.....

Jim

Breath_of_Fresh_USAirways said:
Who said "no movies"? HP A320 family have video. They're even getting larger screens in F/C on their newest deliveries (since May, with more yet to come...)
[post="300285"][/post]​

The no movies policy is a US policy of only showing movies on flights past DEN.

The last 8 HP flights I've been on, between 2 and 4.5 hours each, they've popped in the movie and/or the "short" topic and/or the trivia game -- pretty much non-stop from the 1st drink service on...not as great as LiveTV, but mildly entertaining if you're bored with the book you brought to read... :( Did NOT get any video entertainment between PHX & ONT, but between PHX & SEA/ORD/CMH/DCA. I've actually caught a couple of movies I had missed at the theatre and really enjoyed them! (And no, I don't rent the headsets, I have my own BOSE -- and I don't feel guilty for USING it since I purchased it because of the airline magazine ad or the catalog on-board...) :up:

Breath_of_Fresh_USAirways said:
HP cargo holds ARE pressurized. They are not heated, nor air-conditioned and animals would freeze at altitude or burn-up on the ground in PHX in the summer. AND more than 1 airline has "fried" an animal in PHX while waiting for a gate or for take-off in the middle of summer...just ask DL, CO...even when they're air-conditioned they get quite warm as the airflow isn't quite the same as the cabin...
[post="300280"][/post]​

I can't believe there's NO heating -- stuff like shampoo would freeze solid as a brick at the -40 degree temperatures at cruise altitude. The pressurization system is bleed air from the engines, so if the holds are pressurized, they should be heated. The same air that goes into the cabin goes into the holds.

Back to the topic at hand, the removal of the power ports is a VERY unwelcome development, since virtually all my flying is transcon. Guess I'll need another battery...and that $100 adapter I bought is useless. Bad move. :down:

I'm totally guilty of dialing under the influence from an Airfone during a non-revenue adventure.

Honestly folks, how is this new US Airways going to compete in the business markets it serves?

IFE? Forget it. They figure "everyone brings soimething nowadays."

No service. No entertainment. Crappy service from crappy regional jet providers. First class with styrofoam cups. Dirty aircraft that stink like urine. Beaten down employees in awful tattered decades old uniforms. Hub facilities with holes in the floor and trash everywhere.

I guess this is what people want... some people. But what about the people who are willing to pay a bit more for an experience that at the very least caters to adults on business?

I can see this type of airline going over OK in a Vegas or Lauderdale, but not really anwhere else. So the largest or at least second largest airline at places like DCA and BOS is going to be an airline that doesn't fly to leisure cities nonstop but to business markets while providing a product that's inferior not only to the other network carriers, but to the low cost carriers.

I don't really get where they are going with this... I was hoping they were going to transform into a sort of network/international JetBlue.... It sounds like they are going for school bus.

US2 said:
I can't believe there's NO heating -- stuff like shampoo would freeze solid as a brick at the -40 degree temperatures at cruise altitude. The pressurization system is bleed air from the engines, so if the holds are pressurized, they should be heated. The same air that goes into the cabin goes into the holds.

:down:
[post="300320"][/post]​
They are the EXACT SAME planes, in the cargo compartment, that U flies. I believe that AWA tells their pax those things to justify the "no pets" policy. I think the real reason is the temperature extremes in the places AWA goes, and the desire/necessity to not have to devote more resources to dealing with pets/ keeping them alive.

Latest posts