Psa Or Mesa Which One Is Worse?

Hello Newman

Senior
Aug 23, 2002
Is no one at PSA nor MESA held accountable for their sloppy service? Hey Buce !!!!!
Wanna know why we're losing market share? These idiot outfits are 50% of our problems, but then again your predecessor insisted that te RJ's were our future.
Can Mesa's CEO be arrested for impersonating an airline? Can I call the ethics
hotline and turn in PSA for fraud?....

Hope777 said:
Well I guess I will throw in my 2 cents...........

I think PSA is worse and it is another fine example of just how POOR USAIRWAYS MANAGEMENT is.
i'll throw one half of my penny in while the other half of the penny goes to mgmt to help save this oufit! i think the mid atlantic is worse but i have to agree thatpsa and mesa are horrible.

So lets see. Mid-atlantic, PSA and MESA are U's biggest RJ operators and all three suck. Well isn't that special. I have to say, Mesa had the worst weekend ever last weekend. Almost like we heard that PSA was sucking even worse then us so we put in a little extra effort at sucking to try and regain our bottom spot.

In all seriousness, sometimes it takes a weekend like this past one to wake some people at the top up. We (I) can only hope. BTW, the pilots and FA at Mesa are as or more frustrated then the rest of you with the way we are running this airline. We are doing everything we can to make things run as smoothly as possible. Please bear with us. -Cape

The deal that epitomized all this is when Piedmont had to cancel a rash of their flights because the crew for them was held up by........

you guessed it......

A delayed Mesa flight they were deadheading on.

Brilliant.

diogenes said:
The deal that epitomized all this is when Piedmont had to cancel a rash of their flights because the crew for them was held up by........

you guessed it......

A delayed Mesa flight they were deadheading on.

Brilliant.
This happens to all of us, all the time. I had a flight leave an hr late last week b/c I was stuck on a mainline 767 in PHL for an hr b/c they couldn't get the W/B to download (ha, the wonders of technology!). Maybe if our companies would do a better job of scheduling we all would do less DHing and that would help reduce delays. What an idea. -Cape

The best one I've personally seen, and it was on mainline several years back....

A deadheading crew stuck on an inbound plane waiting for a gate. The reason the gate wasn't open was because the plane using it was waiting for a crew. You guessed it - the deadheading crew stuck on the inbound plane.

Jim

AUDITOR SUBMITS HIS REPORT ON SCHEDULING

(May 16) Walter Darr, an outside consultant specializing in Human Resources, Labor Relations & Crew Management, in late April submitted his report and findings to the President and Vice President of PSA Airlines. The report contained 153 recommendations, including changes to administration, computer systems, infrastructure, office layout, and personnel. The report recommended both short-term and long-term improvements.

The audit was paid for by the Company, reportedly at a cost of $20,000. It is not known if the Company will adopt any of the recommendations.

Ever had op's turn an a/c around 30 miles after departure because a d/h crew was late arriving to the departure airport and had an early show at the destination airport?

PSA :up:

Stick-n-Rudder said:
AUDITOR SUBMITS HIS REPORT ON SCHEDULING

(May 16) Walter Darr, an outside consultant specializing in Human Resources, Labor Relations & Crew Management, in late April submitted his report and findings to the President and Vice President of PSA Airlines. The report contained 153 recommendations, including changes to administration, computer systems, infrastructure, office layout, and personnel. The report recommended both short-term and long-term improvements.

The audit was paid for by the Company, reportedly at a cost of $20,000. It is not known if the Company will adopt any of the recommendations.
Two questions:

Why was an "HR expert" chosen to do this? Why not a process expert of some type e.g., a six sigma guru from GE (who often supply consulting support to companies they have financial relations with) or a consultant?? Crew management from an HR/people perspective is a very different challenge from crew planning from an operations planning perspective. Someone with process and operations planning experience should have been hired (crew planning experience a nice to have but not an absolute necessity).

Second; where do "processed" figure in the list of recommendations? The fact that "computer systems" and "infrastructure" were way high up the list, with no mention of process worries me.

Maybe the news report does not do it justice, and I'm going on very limited info, but I fear this was $20,000 that was not well spent.

robbedagain said:
! i think the mid atlantic is worse but i have to agree thatpsa and mesa are horrible.
It would be nice if performance stats on each carrier were readily available to both internal and external customers.

A couple of other express issues, perhaps worthy of another thread:

The problems caused by having so many express carriers: three wholly owned (plus MAA), three affliliate jet operators, and however many turbo prop carriers US has.

Also, whtver happened to merging Piedmont and Allegheny?

On the first topic, I wonder about ineffciency and lack of flexibility in having so many express carriers (each with their own dispatch and crew scheduling). Let's take one scenario:

Two EMB 145 RJs are sitting at an out station, one operated by ABC Air for a flight to PIT, the other by XYZ Air for a flight to PHL. The ABC plane is booked to 20, its passengers all going to destinations also served out of PHL.
The XYZ jet is booked to 40 people, half of them connecting to an international flight. The XYZ captain becomes violently ill from having eaten a bad chilli dog.
The ABC captain, fully licensed to fly an ERJ 145 can not legally fly the XYZ jet.
Nor can the ABC plane be swapped onto the PHL light, ABC has a contract to operate as US Express from the out station to PIT, but not to PHL..

OK, it's a stupid scenario, but does illustrate the lack of flexibility caused by having so many express carriers. On the non-operational side, I would imagine that just the accounting and billing between the carriers would be easier if there weren't so many of them.

Is there much rationale in the smallest network carrier having more express carriers than anyone else?

As if the situation isn't sad enough....When my self and my coworkers related to our CSM Mesa's problems on Sunday....his response was and I'm not making this up
" Oh well, that's how express operates, Ask American. it's an industry wide problem"

Are you listening Bruce?

PDT & ALG merge offically on July 1.

Date: June 10, 2004

To: All Employees

Subject: Merger Update

The Corporate merger of Allegheny and Piedmont will be effective on July 1, 2004. Although the Corporate merger will be effective on this date, the operational merger will require several months to be completed.

Effective July 1, 2004 all flights previously sold and displayed under Allegheny Flight numbers will now be sold and displayed as Piedmont flights. However, internally crewmembers, maintenance, dispatch and other operational departments will continue to operate as two separate airlines under the Merger Plan until total operational integration is completed.

On July 1, 2004 all Allegheny employees will become Piedmont employees. They will receive new identification cards and their paychecks will be issued from Piedmont. Non-contract Allegheny employees will transfer to Piedmont' s policies, procedures, and benefit plans on -that-date~--For all Allegheny contract employees, (ALPA, AFA, and IBT) there will be no other changes. Contract employees will continue to follow their respective collective bargaining agreements with the exception of what has already been negotiated. This will continue until negotiations with the respective unions are completed or the issues are resolved by the National Mediation Board. To date, only the AFA has both the Pre-Merger Agreement and the Fence Agreement completed between AFA and the company.

Further updates will be forthcoming as events unfold

Hello Newman said:
" Oh well, that's how express operates, Ask American. it's an industry wide problem"

Are you listening Bruce?
I'm getting tired of that response as well on baggage and weight and balance issues. Also, why would anyone SCHEDULE a crew to arrive at 620pm (if on time) and take out a flight scheduled at 624pm? This flight has been late every day AND THIS IS THE NORMAL SCHEDULING OF THE CREW on this route..... :down: :down:
Maybe someone needs to take a serious look at all aspects of how the Express operate because they are NOT giving OUR customers what they paid for.... :shock:

Latest posts