Al Crellin Article

I do Sales Training for a living and if I haven't learned a thing in the 33 years I've worked, I've learned that things are almost NEVER what they seem.

LOL.........I can only guess that your posts are included in that statement?
:)

Not to say this will happen in every case, but some people do change when put into a new environment with new leadership. Some will think I'm off base, but that little Halloween skit DP and old US East management put on may have been a signal from DP. The signal: Be on the team and get on board. For a US Airways executive to paint his face blue and act silly in the spirit of being a team member spoke volumes too me. Subtle, but a powerful statement. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but how many US East employees would have ever thought they'd see that day?

For these reasons he is getting a reprieve from me. I need to see further evidence that he was indeed somewhat of a pawn. Two people who I respect immensely do not think much of the man. But as I look back I'm beginning to see a pattern here and part of that pattern seemed to be to make Crellin a target or lightning rod to cover for the real source of the operational problems. He's off the Feces List for now, but reinstatement is a very easy process :D
What flavored Kool-Aid are you drinking now? My goodness man, the place is rated last of 19 airlines and has been for some time. The planes are still flithy, the airports are worse. the place is a scum bucket and you going to let the one person responsible off the hook?

You know as well as I do, the man is not a team player. You know as well as I do why the man didn't show his face last year in PHL, but yet your willing to let him off the hook?

So who are you sucking up to now?

I thought I'd give AC the benefit of the doubt until these 2 "tid-bits" from this article:

1 -- "Crellin doesn't rank the baggage meltdown as a low point in his career. That title is reserved for the seven airline crashes he's worked during his long career. US Airways had five. The former PSA, where he started, suffered two."

AND

2 -- "He jokes that he's still finding his way to the restroom at the airline's Tempe headquarters."

Regarding #1: Why, oh why! the heck would he even bring up 7 crashes that occurred at airlines that he happened to be working at, at the time? I don't get it. What is this? A "poor me" attitude? Look at all I'VE been through? I wish someone with more psychology training could explain this -- I mean, he REALLY has very little, if anything, to do with the crashes he's talking about -- in fact, one of the PSA crashes was caused by a general aviation aircraft , which was a COMPLETE accident on the side of PSA and completely out of their control! -- so while these may be low-points for him personally, to compare these to the Christmas meltdown -- HUH???!!! What do you call someone that can't take responsibility for something -- or even if he couldn't have done anything about the Christmas meltdown -- or at least apologize for what happened as the person responsible for the division, and when asked about it, brings up something as morbid as airplane crashes -- that he couldn't have had any control over, even if he had wanted to? And frankly, in either case -- luggage or crashes -- he never once mentions that he learned anything from these. Wow. And what does this mean for the new USAirways? That unless we have a crash, don't blame Al? Unbelievable.

Unless he's just horrible at giving interviews, I'm really having a hard time as to what Doug sees in this guy...

And point #2 -- he resorts to bathroom humor -- how immature. It's obvious that this guy's priorities are whacked. Oh, yeah, the article says "jokingly". C'mon. It's not funny. On some other threads of this board there have been discussions about what's really important, what's really a priority, in this merger -- and that we all have a BIG job and probably shouldn't bring up trivial things that we can control and solve on our own -- and this guy goes and tells the press that he has trouble finding the bathroom! And we trust him with the "bigger and more important" parts of the integration? This isn't funny; it's scary.

I have a ton of respect for Doug Parker, but I sincerely question his choice in AC for this incredibly important position within the airline.

Argh!!!!!

I have seen many executives talk until they are Blue in the Face with very little change.

(I couldn't resist.......) :p ;)

AC has my utmost respect. I have known him from my days at PSA. The "east employees" need to forget about the past and work on building a bright future. We can all work together to build a great franchise.

Are you and AC sharing a house together?

With people like AC and Everett "Head-in-the-Way" being top executives at the new US you never forget the past and those two cronies who have done nothing but attack workers.

I wonder who Headintheway felt when he lost the airbus case since he presented for the company.

Instead of forgetting the past, aren't you supposed to learn from the past and vow not to make the same mistakes again?

Let me ask you "The Truth", does AC view employees as an asset or a liability? What are his views on employee incentive programs? How much of a sacrifice did he make in contributing to the turn around of the company? What kind of plan did he have in place to deal with ths fiasco in PHL last year?

Everybody just has to keep in mind that this is the same bozo reporter that used to tell us how great Bill Franke was. We have heard that tune before - so watch your backside.

Started at bottom
Crellin, who grew up in El Segundo, Calif., started in the industry in his 20s after short stints as a Marine and as a police officer in Los Angeles.

He started at the bottom, loading baggage on the ramp for PSA. His other frontline jobs included fueler and ticket agent. He started in management in 1975 and worked his way to the upper echelons.

"The fact that I've done most of those things, I have a very strong appreciation for what everyone does here," he said. "I think that it allows me to be able to relate to folks better."
According to this, here's a guy who has made it to a top level executive position worth millions and never attended a day of college.

This guy should write a book. Assuming he can read and write. :up:

According to this, here's a guy who has made it to a top level executive position worth millions and never attended a day of college.

This guy should write a book. Assuming he can read and write. :up:

Marines, police officers, and others who haven't attended college can't read or write? I hope that's not what you are saying. Oh my. :unsure:

Sometimes a change of scenery can do a person a world of good. Did you ever stop to think that maybe Al Crellin was just as fed up and demoralized as all of the workers were? Just because you have the corner office with the big chair doesn't mean you're a happy camper.

Let me tell you first hand I've made DOUBLE what I make now and been 10 times more miserable so money only goes so far.

Simple fact is we don't know what constraints were put on this man by others in the management team. Was he the lightning rod for alot of frustration? YES he was! Did he deserve to be? Probably so!

But it's just like in sports sometimes when the a guy gets traded to a new team and he just tears it up and you're sitting in the break room saying "Why couldn't he play like that when he was here"

Look he bought into the whole deal with Parker so far. How many of you honestly ever thought you'd see the day that Al Crellin was in a Blue Man Group costume?

Leopards don't change their spots but people can and do change their behavior. Let's see if it's window dressing????

There has been NO constraints on this man you say????? He has been able to stay under the "firing" radar because he had/ and has an extremely lucrative contract. THE BOD JUST COULDN'T FIRE THE GUY, and the loser Lakefield was like a kindergardner in this industry.

Al never did a damn thing for "communtiy" in PA, and now he wants to slither in Tempe as if he is a "star" player community activist....my azzze.

Dougie is a one base operation guy, and Al has been able to take advantage of his exposure to a multi-base operation. Dougie comes across like a hot shot, man of the hour exec....but will see how well this "cockey" executive does this next year running a huge multi-base airline with 4 times as many employees than he is use to.

Personally, I find DP to be an "arrogant" son-of-a-bitchh". And yes, Iv'e finally met the guy, AND NOT IMPRESSED ONE IOTA!

AC has my utmost respect. I have known him from my days at PSA. The "east employees" need to forget about the past and work on building a bright future. We can all work together to build a great franchise.

Well, we expected you to say this, considering AC helped you get where you are from PSA, and then Jerry G who put you on the map and made you his little personal General to hold Labor as a bunch of endentured servants for a few bucks an hour...servants who need to live in tents next to the airports.

You have as much credibility as the Tempe Cactuses.

Instead of forgetting the past, aren't you supposed to learn from the past and vow not to make the same mistakes again?

Let me ask you "The Truth", does AC view employees as an asset or a liability? What are his views on employee incentive programs? How much of a sacrifice did he make in contributing to the turn around of the company? What kind of plan did he have in place to deal with ths fiasco in PHL last year?

These are the perfect questions to pose. Here's someone who is thinking.

Couple more questions to add if I were interviewing AC: What plans does he have in place to ensure the debacle never happens again? And what value does he put on customer service and to give examples of how he plans to get there to ensure that customers will have the ultimate experience by flying USAirways? Pose the same questions to DP.
B)

Not to say this will happen in every case, but some people do change when put into a new environment with new leadership. Some will think I'm off base, but that little Halloween skit DP and old US East management put on may have been a signal from DP. The signal: Be on the team and get on board. For a US Airways executive to paint his face blue and act silly in the spirit of being a team member spoke volumes too me. Subtle, but a powerful statement. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but how many US East employees would have ever thought they'd see that day?

Dave Siegel dressed up for Halloween, and the US employees are still complaining about it. With Siegel, it was inappropriate; with Parker, it's refreshing. :rolleyes: