Al Crellin Article

:) :wub:

US Airways operations chief makes himself at home here

Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 6, 2005 12:00 AM

Face and head coated in bright blue paint, orange wands in his hands, Al Crellin looked like one of the gang as he and other US Airways executives toured the company's operations as Blue Man Group on Halloween.

He fit right in, dancing when they danced and handing out candy to employees and passengers on a daylong adventure away from the office.

Unless you visit his bare office or ask him for directions, you never would know Crellin is the new guy in the Tempe airline's executive suite. He's been in Arizona barely a month, transferring from the old US Airways headquarters in Arlington, Va., after the America West-US Airways merger closed in September.
advertisement

Crellin, executive vice president of operations, is the only high-level executive from the old US Airways in the upper ranks of the combined airline's management team. He is one of just three executive vice presidents who report to US Airways CEO Doug Parker.

Most of the top US Airways executives moved on to other airlines or retired. Crellin, 58, thought about doing the same, but decided to uproot from the East Coast after 16 years because he was impressed by America West's management team and felt he could play a key role in helping make the merger a success. He's been through several in his 34-year career with US Airways and its predecessor companies.

"In the airline business, when you do mergers there is, a lot of times, a lack of understanding on both sides about how best to put cultures together and people together . . . and how all that works," he said.

"I think had I opted to leave some of that mix might have come out differently."

Bill Pollock, head of the pilots union for the old US Airways, said the East Coast operations are much larger and more complex than America West's Phoenix and Las Vegas hubs. The airline has some major challenges in congested Philadelphia, for example.

"I think they're drawing on his experience," he said.

Not without critics
Crellin's appointment didn't draw unanimous raves. He's been criticized on aviation message boards on the Internet, with some employees saying they were shocked he got the job. Some pilots were lobbying for another US Airways official.

Critics blame Crellin for the airline's operational woes, including last Christmas' baggage meltdown and resulting public-relations nightmare in Philadelphia. They say Crellin was never held accountable for the airline being short-staffed during the holidays.

"He's the guy that is the fall guy for the things that don't go right," Pollock said.

Crellin says that he's responsible as the head of operations for any problems related to how the airline runs. That doesn't mean, he says, that he caused them.

"I think what happened last December was really a culmination of a lot of things," he said.

The airline was in its second bankruptcy, workers were going through more wage and benefit cuts and the weather was bad, among other factors, he said.

"It was a very difficult period of time for us," he said.

And in tough times, he said, "I think my popularity probably drops."

Crellin doesn't rank the baggage meltdown as a low point in his career. That title is reserved for the seven airline crashes he's worked during his long career. US Airways had five. The former PSA, where he started, suffered two.

Among the high points: "I've gone through a number of regime changes and survived them all," he said with a laugh.

Started at bottom
Crellin, who grew up in El Segundo, Calif., started in the industry in his 20s after short stints as a Marine and as a police officer in Los Angeles.

He started at the bottom, loading baggage on the ramp for PSA. His other frontline jobs included fueler and ticket agent. He started in management in 1975 and worked his way to the upper echelons.

"The fact that I've done most of those things, I have a very strong appreciation for what everyone does here," he said. "I think that it allows me to be able to relate to folks better."

The soft-spoken executive, who has two grown sons working for other airlines, is still getting to know America West's operations. He jokes that he's still finding his way to the restroom at the airline's Tempe headquarters.

He has bought a home in Gilbert, but it, too, is bare. He has found the gym and lifts weights every day before work.

Family back East
Crellin says he has mixed emotions about leaving the East Coast. His sons live there, and his wife still spends a lot of time there. At the same time, they have good friends in Arizona. Last year, before the merger was on the radar, the avid golfer looked at buying a vacation home in Anthem.

Crellin is not involved in the community yet but is impressed by the former America West's commitment to causes.

"We did less of that back East," he said. "The difference is night and day at how much more involved America West and Doug and his team have had in the community. I'm very much a proponent of that."

Crellin's top priority is making sure the new US Airways' operations don't slip as the airlines go about the gargantuan task of truly combining everything from flight crews to computer systems. Some things are happening right away, others are a year or two off as the airlines seek a single operating certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Both airlines have had their share of on-time woes and customer complaints in the past 18 months, but recent numbers show improvements, especially at America West.

"What I'd like to be able to do," Crellin said, "is put the airline together and have all the employees be OK and their families be OK and have our airline be successful, and I can leave our industry and feel it was a nice cap for my career."

:) :wub:

"What I'd like to be able to do," Crellin said, "is put the airline together and have all the employees be OK and their families be OK and have our airline be successful, and I can leave our industry and feel it was a nice cap for my career."

Leave now and never come back. You are pathetic.

"he was never held accountable for the christmas meltdow"
well theres a guy who knows how to dodge even the report in which he and others in the old mgmt team escaped without apologizing to the employees at that time!

“Crellin says that he's responsible as the head of operations for any problems related to how the airline runsâ€

Okay then….HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENED LAST CHRISTMAS..!! There, he just said it.

“The airline was in its second bankruptcy, workers were going through more wage and benefit cuts and the weather was bad, among other factors, he saidâ€

No wait… HE’S NOT RESPONSIBLE….It’s the workers....that’s it, the workers..!!!

This guy needs some place like Arizona, then he can blame it on heat stroke…!!
:down: :down: :down:

The airline was in its second bankruptcy, workers were going through more wage and benefit cuts and the weather was bad, among other factors, he said.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to own up to his own failures/short sightedness, but noooo.....hide his roll in the term "among other factors". Very sad....

WTF? Bob is in bed with MPA now! :shock: :shock:

One of the loudest critics of MPA and his business acumen, and suddenly all is forgotten? What's up with that? I am floored Bob.

Been through many a battles with AC from 1989-2005 and his problem is he forgets the opinion of the frontline worker.

He will listen to the Mgr and forget who does the work on a daily basis. He is intimidating to the Mgr., so he never hears the real problem. Yes, it is his failure to grasp the situation that only adds to the problem.

Round and round we go.....

Been through many a battles with AC from 1989-2005 and his problem is he forgets the opinion of the frontline worker.

He will listen to the Mgr and forget who does the work on a daily basis. He is intimidating to the Mgr., so he never hears the real problem. Yes, it is his failure to grasp the situation that only adds to the problem.

Round and round we go.....
where it stops nobody knows!!! Only Crelin would kepp things going round and round in a circle and where it stops no one knows! :up: :lol:

The thought of ANYONE defending Al Crellin, "Father of the Meltdown" amazes me. The public relations disaster and finger pointing that ensued can only be attributed to this Bast**d. Many pax were inconvenienced and for the rank and file workers that did "damage control"..........they are to be commended for keeping the airline afloat :up: The former management team (and AC was part of this pathetic group) had no regard for their labor groups and what they ALLOWED to happen to their customers will never be forgotten......just watch and see how the media will rehash the event this holiday season.

For these reasons he is getting a reprieve from me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH THANK YOU MY LORD....

This guy is ate up with himself to the point it's sad and funny at the same time...I'll pray for you Bob, God knows you need it, LOTS of it.

Thank you, Al Crellin is the #### on the LIST. No bones about it...........and ALL the critics can't be misguided, or misinformed. :lol:

For these reasons he is getting a reprieve from me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH THANK YOU MY LORD....
This guy is ate up with himself to the point it's sad and funny at the same time...I'll pray for you Bob, God knows you need it, LOTS of it.

Oh good. Piney Bob is on the hot seat now and not me.

Bob,

While I agree with much of what you said above, I still have a problem with him (or any other executive) not taking part of the blame in any way shape or form. And I do agree that when you are surrounded by feces, it is hard to come out smelling like a rose.

My questions/comments become:

1) While I agree that the spin AFTER the fact was to put pressure on the unions and make a case to the BK judge for section 1113 contract abrogation, why did they not have a plan for what they knew was coming? Are we to believe that they planned out this whole event to make a point?

2) If you are the VP of Operations don't you have to sign off on any new staffing model? Isn't it your responsibility to have the data and know that you have a ramp staffing issue related to LTD, OJI, etc? They knew they were going to be open on more then 100 shifts even before "normal" call offs. They were banking on being able to assign mandatory overtime and didn't really have a plan. Where were all of the Managers/Executives/VP's/Directors on those days? If you knew you had a potential meltdown in the works, why not rally the troops and be prepared. I know for a fact that certain Directors/Executives that could have helped out were in fact in other cities on vacation and forced their subordinates to fly to PHL on the holiday. I'm sorry but I am from the school of lead by example. There is nothing I would ask a fellow employee to do that I wouldn't do myself.

3) I think you are right that MPA may have been brought along for the ride because of experience in the operating environment. I keep hearing that he is being kept on because of the operating certificate. I don't by that. The ops cert is issued to the airline, not a VP. There are some very talented individuals that have just as much experience, if not more, in the operating of the airline in this environment.

4) Are you sure that it was MPA's idea or recommendation to get more equipment in PHL? Who's to say DP didnt' take a tour of PHL and see for himself that they couldn't operate with what little they had? Who's to say that someone didn't finally listen to what everyone in PHL has been trying to tell the old team? I do understand that we were between a rock and a hard place when it came to spending money and replacing equipment, but there was no plan in place to deal with the situation.

5) We did have very good operting stats, but then came all the cuts. We over cut staffing in all functions and then wonder why it hit the fan. We lost all of our resources. We operated with very few (if any) spare airplanes, no crews to fly what we did have, no ground equipment, etc. Who is ultimately responsible for all of those things? Who signed off on all of those plans?

Unfortunately Bob, I can't forgive and forget so easily. Until he proves to me that his ability to plan has changed and not that he has become a party boy, I still harbor ill feelings.

First of all, this is a standard media fluff job. It is customary for an organization to arrange these 'event's for a new heavy hitter when AWA has the clout in PHX that they do. This article isn't news, it's PR.

Second - Bob, while there are posters opining here that do not have first hand dealings with the gentleman in question (and they have every right to do so), there are many here who HAVE had long term dealings that know what they are talking about. Don't discount their experience.

Third, the poor work environment and communications began before there was ever a Plane Business or USAviation.com, and there are many here who experienced those tribulations.

There is ONE constant in that environment that runs thru Schofield, Wolfe, Gangwhal, Siegel and Lakefield - MPA.

Moreover, a leader takes accountability in deeds, as well as words. If anyone saw Meet The Press today, Senator Tom Coburn ® declared his party to be wrong on some issues, and outlined the corrections he thought needed to be taken. Now I dislike his politics and would not support many of of his policy proposals, but his candor was compelling. His candor bought consideration I would not have given had he spoken standard politico-babble.

The first guy or gal I see that actually assumes responsibility, be they R or D, corporate or public, gets my dollars or votes.

Let's see if this fluff job stands the test of time.

Got a $100 says it doesn't.