Pulling out of Oslo

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
I just read that we are pulling out of OSL for this summer. Guess another one bites the dust.

I just read that we are pulling out of OSL for this summer. Guess another one bites the dust.

Is this aircraft going to be used on Charlotte-Madrid? Or can we look forward to another new route, perhaps?

Guess with CO going double daily EWR-OSL (summer), SK resuming EWR-OSL, and DL reportedly starting JFK-OSL, the competition (again) is too strong. Unfortunate indeed. Guess so much for the chance of PHL-CPH.

:(

LHR - Charlotte came up in my mind, but wouldn't that free up a Charlotte - Gatwick bird? which leads us to still wondering where freed up metal would go?

Or would Charlotte gain 2X London flights (LGW & LHR)? I highly highly doubt it. I can't think of really any other Euro airport slot controlled that a 767 is capable of reaching.

LHR - Charlotte came up in my mind, but wouldn't that free up a Charlotte - Gatwick bird? which leads us to still wondering where freed up metal would go?

Or would Charlotte gain 2X London flights (LGW & LHR)? I highly highly doubt it. I can't think of really any other Euro airport slot controlled that a 767 is capable of reaching.

There are plenty of European airports that are slot-controlled. Have a look at this page:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_slot

There are plenty of European airports that are slot-controlled. Have a look at this page:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_slot

Good link, that probably offers the easiest explanation that can be provided.

Just to provide some background though - every summer and fall there is an IATA Scheduling Conference where any airline interested in serving one of those airports can request slots from IATA. Just because you request the slots though does not mean that you will necessarily receive them, nor necessarily at the times you requested. Many of you may remember hearing two winters ago that US requested slots for CLT-FCO service but received poor slot times and, possibly because of that, did not launch service in spring 2009. Furthermore, requesting slots does not automatically mean new service is imminent, although it does indicate interest (i.e. DL applied for JFK-NAP and JFK-OSL slots but has not yet, and may not, announce(d) service to either of those cities.

With this is mind, it's a safe bet to say that LHR is NOT the airport in question here. You don't request new slots at LHR; you buy current slots at LHR - for tens of millions of dollars.

So, any other guesses? Assuming they're going for a new city, maybe DUS? Or will they try another Nordic destination like HEL or CPH? Unless they're using the aircraft to operate from CLT to another city we already serve, I can't think of very many conservative choices here.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5006322/
this source suggests that the new route will be phl-txl
but i wonder whats the chances of a clt-man?

Too bad about OSL. You really need feed on the other end to fill up the extra seats and I guess we couldnt make it work. CPH would be good with SK there for feed. Also, TXL, DUS or CGN would be good in Germany. I think a CLT-MAN could work too since the PHL flight seems like its always full. (I know full doesnt = profit, but its a start?)

Latest posts