Two new European destinations

gaucho99

Senior
Dec 21, 2006
US Airways Announces Birmingham, UK and Oslo, Norway Service from Philadelphia

US Will Serve 23 trans-Atlantic Destinations from its Philadelphia Gateway Next Summer

Oct. 22, 2008

Next summer, we’ll have another United Kingdom option and our first Norwegian offering when we inaugurate service to Birmingham (BHX) and Oslo (OSL) from PHL. These new routes complement Tel Aviv service which was announced earlier this year. The two routes are subject to foreign government approval.

Birmingham becomes the fifth United Kingdom destination US Airways serves while Oslo is our second Scandinavian destination after Stockholm, Sweden. The two seasonal routes will be operated with Boeing 757 ETOPS aircraft configured with 12 Envoy seats and 164 seats in the main cabin.

The flying goes on sale Oct. 25 at usairways.com, Reservations and through global distribution channels. Schedule detail is as follows:

Routing
Flight
Frequency
Departure
Arrival
Start Date

Philadelphia - Birmingham
US726
Daily
6:05 p.m.
6:25 a.m. next day
May 12, 2009

Birmingham - Philadelphia
US727
Daily
8:45 a.m.
11:50 a.m.
May 13, 2009

Philadelphia - Oslo
US788
Daily
8:35 p.m.
10:35 a.m. next day
May 21, 2009

Oslo - Philadelphia
US799
Daily
1:00 p.m.
3:45 p.m.
May 22, 2009

Senior Vice President, East Coast, International and Cargo Operations Suzanne Boda said, “We’re thrilled to expand our presence in the UK with Birmingham and offer our customers their first Norwegian option in Oslo. We appreciate the support of Birmingham and Oslo officials as well as the continued support and commitment of the Philadelphia City Division of Aviation.â€￾

BHX and OSL FAQs

Why BHX and OSL?

Market conditions for trans-Atlantic flying remain strong and these two popular destinations compliment our existing routes very well. Both destinations are in the top 50 European markets by passenger traffic and have large metropolitan-area populations with a diversified economy.

Is the service seasonal?

Yes, the service will be seasonal for the time being and will be operated with Boeing 757 ETOPS aircraft that we’ll be converting over from the regular 757 fleet. First day of operations is May 12 for BHX and May 21 for OSL.

When will the service be available for sale?

The flying will load at usairways.com, Res and GDS channels this Saturday, Oct. 25.

Glad to see them add more routes, though I am surprise that BHX is only a seasonal route, I thought that was a fairly big manufacutirng area so it might bring in some Business Traffic.

Glad to see them add more routes, though I am surprise that BHX is only a seasonal route, I thought that was a fairly big manufacutirng area so it might bring in some Business Traffic.

It's great to see that they're adding more B752 ETOPS routes out of Philadelphia to OSL & BHX but what about CPH, there's a lot of demand there I wonder if from now to May they would announce any more seasonal routes :)

Very odd, I agree. It doesn't seem that BHX would have the spike in leisure travel during the summer that is indicative of most of US' other seasonal routes.

ARN is also slated to be a 757 next summer, which will free up a 767 - perhaps another new city/route announcement is forthcoming???

I am very surprised that they didn't announced CPH also. But maybe since Delta doesn't fly to OSL that might have been why. I would love to see them add WAW, CPH, VIE & some German cities like DUS since those are all Star Alliance Cities with lots of connecting traffic.
Good luck US Airways. And don't forget about adding flights to CLT, PHX & LAS too.

I don't think we'll see WAW myself, it seems like that LOT has a fairly good monoploy on that market. I think etops1 said in an earlier thread that DME might be one with a 767 but isn't that market over saturated at the moment with SQ 4x Weekly service from House, AA 5 or 6x Weekly from Chicago, Aerofloat to JFK and LAX and Delta's Double Daily Service from Atlanta/JFK. I could see the 767 going to CPH, but I could also see the 767 maybe going to Vienna as well but Delta didn't do so hot there but US has the *A feed with OS though, so that would help.

I am very surprised that they didn't announced CPH also. But maybe since Delta doesn't fly to OSL that might have been why. I would love to see them add WAW, CPH, VIE & some German cities like DUS since those are all Star Alliance Cities with lots of connecting traffic.
Good luck US Airways. And don't forget about adding flights to CLT, PHX & LAS too.

RE: Dus NW either recently or is about to close DUS (not seasonally) which was a 757 from DTW as they could not make it work rev wise from what I understand.

MAN has always been a very strong market so nearby BHX should perform well. Back in Sept when MAN changed for 1 month from a 330 to a Daily 757 with a second 757 four days a week many days that both operated the combined loads where in the 330-340 pax range in both directions and Sept is not the busiest month their.

Regards

LGA777

It's great to see that they're adding more B752 ETOPS routes out of Philadelphia to OSL & BHX but what about CPH, there's a lot of demand there I wonder if from now to May they would announce any more seasonal routes :)
CPH would be direct competition with several airlines for non-stops to the U.S., including SAS, which is purported to be so disturbed with US's PHL-ARN service success that they refuse to code share with them out of CPH. I believe the only other non-stop flight between Oslo and the U.S. is CO's 757-200 to EWR. So this may be a great move. Oslo is a fantastic July/August destination - if you can afford the prices. Still, since a significant portion of the OSL flight would seem to depend on connections from the upper Mid-West - one of US's weakest areas, it's difficult to see how this will work logistically. Maybe a NW/DL code share - gulp.

CPH would be direct competition with several airlines for non-stops to the U.S., including SAS, which is purported to be so disturbed with US's PHL-ARN service success that they refuse to code share with them out of CPH. I believe the only other non-stop flight between Oslo and the U.S. is CO's 757-200 to EWR. So this may be a great move. Oslo is a fantastic July/August destination - if you can afford the prices. Still, since a significant portion of the OSL flight would seem to depend on connections from the upper Mid-West - one of US's weakest areas, it's difficult to see how this will work logistically. Maybe a NW/DL code share - gulp.
Or maybe a UA codeshare considering UA is fairly strong in the Midwest.

Latest posts