Two new European destinations

Or maybe a UA codeshare considering UA is fairly strong in the Midwest.

Still, since a significant portion of the OSL flight would seem to depend on connections from the upper Mid-West - one of US's weakest areas, it's difficult to see how this will work logistically. Maybe a NW/DL code share - gulp.

I'm guessing that you're eluding to the large amount of people of Scandinavian decent in the upper midwest. The reality though, is that this is probably the best example that shows that ethnic heritage is not necessarily related to a demand for travel. Most people of Norwegian/Swedish/etc decent in the upper midwest are far, far removed from their lineage in Europe. Somewhat to this point, NW tried a seasonal MSP-OSL flight in either '98 or '99 and it failed miserably (It only lasted 1 summer).

The B757 is the perfect plane for a market like OSL as it gives Norwegians, as well as vacationers the opportunity to have nonstop TA flights (CO to EWR, and now US to PHL) that would otherwise not be viable. I agree it's a good move and I think the seasonal route to OSL will do just fine for US.

I'm guessing that you're eluding to the large amount of people of Scandinavian decent in the upper midwest. The reality though, is that this is probably the best example that shows that ethnic heritage is not necessarily related to a demand for travel. Most people of Norwegian/Swedish/etc decent in the upper midwest are far, far removed from their lineage in Europe. Somewhat to this point, NW tried a seasonal MSP-OSL flight in either '98 or '99 and it failed miserably (It only lasted 1 summer).

The B757 is the perfect plane for a market like OSL as it gives Norwegians, as well as vacationers the opportunity to have nonstop TA flights (CO to EWR, and now US to PHL) that would otherwise not be viable. I agree it's a good move and I think the seasonal route to OSL will do just fine for US.
FutureUSCapt,
On a personal Note I am a Midwestern from the Chicago area and I do agree with your post, part of the what happened with NWA's flight was I think it was a DC-10, also didn't they fly 747 service back in the 80's or something? But yea most of the Scandinavian people are at least 3 or 4 times removed from the immigration.

Sorry - shoulda read page 2 before replying. I see that US1FARE has already won the door prize...

Jim

It's great to see that they're adding more B752 ETOPS routes out of Philadelphia to OSL & BHX but what about CPH, there's a lot of demand there I wonder if from now to May they would announce any more seasonal routes :)

I Heard Istanbul or Moscow !

Are more 757s being converted for ETOPS, winglets and Envoy seating for these? IIRC, there are 7 now, right? I remember reading posts a while back that more were planned....

Will the Hawaiian birds remain dedicated to the West with the domestic F/Y seating too then?

Will the Hawaiian birds remain dedicated to the West with the domestic F/Y seating too then?
Just my guess, but I suspect that those birds will be dedicated to the HI flying. Hopefully, at some point it won't be called West or East.

The only alternative is to use the ETOPS birds from TA if they do pull some off that - offer Envoy to HI that way - or possibly some 767's as the new A330's come (if loads warrant).

Jim

I've been told that these 2 cities are on the short list....

TXL

NCE

How many A330-200s are being delivered in 2009?

Latest I rumor I heard was that the plan was to go down to 20 757s all ETOPS, forget what the plan on the 767 was...

Latest posts