Punk Ceo

EyeInTheSky said:
Sorry, my family doesn't do that. If they did, no Green Day and they know it. I find it funny that the right-wing nut jobs just can't stand freedom of speech and choice.
[post="309871"][/post]​
thats not the issue and you know it. the issue at hand is about letting young children be exposed to filthy language at such a young age....hillary would be appalled too.

joe mechanic said:
thats not the issue and you know it. the issue at hand is about letting young children be exposed to filthy language at such a young age....hillary would be appalled too.
[post="309878"][/post]​

Like I said, they hear more on the school bus then they ever learn from listening to a Green Day song. You can't shelter kids from everything joemechanic, you teach them right from wrong. I don't have a problem in my household because my kids know better.

EyeInTheSky said:
Like I said, they hear more on the school bus then they ever learn from listening to a Green Day song. You can't shelter kids from everything joemechanic, you teach them right from wrong. I don't have a problem in my household because my kids know better.
[post="309879"][/post]​
you are correct.what they hear at school is one thing and YOU can CONTROL what goes on at home. i hope you do.
i'd suggest looking into some of the songs on dookie

here:

maybe doug needs a visit from youth services??

joe mechanic said:
you are correct.what they hear at school is one thing and YOU can CONTROL what goes on at home. i hope you do.
i'd suggest looking into some of the songs on dookie

here:

maybe doug needs a visit from youth services??
[post="309886"][/post]​

Yeah, maybe he should get a visit from "Youth Services". Maybe my family too! Gosh, what would they find? Well-adjusted kids, straight-A students, community volunteers, and to top it all off -- they can actually think for themselves! Gosh, what a concept, using the brain God gave you!

Just because your kids hear it doesn't mean they're going to use it. In our house if it's used the child can expect punishment because we've already discussed what is and isn't acceptable language. If it's used again the punishment gets more severe until the unwanted behavior stops. Needless to say being open about it hasn't caused our kids to use that language. It's a right and wrong thing. If they are taught right and wrong they have no excuse. Sheltering a child from things that you find repulsive may come back to haunt you one day. Just my opinion.

MrAeroMan said:
Just because your kids hear it doesn't mean they're going to use it. In our house if it's used the child can expect punishment because we've already discussed what is and isn't acceptable language. If it's used again the punishment gets more severe until the unwanted behavior stops. Needless to say being open about it hasn't caused our kids to use that language. It's a right and wrong thing. If they are taught right and wrong they have no excuse. Sheltering a child from things that you find repulsive may come back to haunt you one day. Just my opinion.
[post="309894"][/post]​
so if you have children 10 years or so you'd let them purchase and listen to this kind of music with lyrics such as the 'F' word in them at your house?

joe mechanic said:
well then mommy lets all sing a round of F.O.D.
[post="309893"][/post]​

No disrespect, but it's clear you're from a different generation. You think your way, I think mine and we all have to respect our differences.

joemechanic, the "F word" has been around since the 15th century!!

F-word
Popular etymologies agree, unfortunately incorrectly, that this is an acronym meaning either Fornication Under Consent of the King or For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, the latter usually accompanying a story about how medieval prisoners were forced to wear this word on their clothing.

Deriving the etymology of this word is difficult, as it has been under a taboo for most of its existence and citations are rare. The earliest known use, according to American Heritage and Lighter, predates 1500 and is from a poem written in a mix of Latin and English and entitled Flen flyys. The relevant line reads:

Non sunt in celi quia fuccant uuiuys of heli.
Translated:

They [the monks] are not in heaven because they f-word the wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge].
Fuccant is a pseudo-Latin word and in the original it is written in cipher to further disguise it.

Some sources cite an alleged use from 1278 as a personal name, John le F*cker, but this citation is questionable. No one has properly identified the document this name supposedly appears in and even if it is real, the name is likely a variant of f*ker, a maker of cloth, fulcher, a soldier, or another similar word.

The earliest usage cite in the OED2 dates from 1503 and is in the form fukkit. The earliest cite of the current spelling is from 1535.

The word was not in common (published) use prior to the 1960s. Shakespeare did not use it, although he did hint at it for comic effect. In Merry Wives of Windsor (IV.i) he gives us the pun "focative case." In Henry V (IV.iv), the character Pistol threatens to "firk" a French soldier, a word meaning to strike, but commonly used as an Elizabethan euphemism for f-word. In the same play (III.iv), Princess Katherine confuses the English words foot and gown for the French foutre and coun (f-word and c-word, respectively) with comic results. Other poets did use the word, although it was far from common. Robert Burns, for example, used it in an unpublished manuscript.

The taboo was so strong that for 170 years, from 1795 to 1965, f-word did not appear in a single dictionary of the English language. In 1948, the publishers of The Naked and the Dead persuaded Norman Mailer to use the euphemism "fug" instead, resulting in Dorothy Parker's comment upon meeting Mailer: "So you're the man who can't spell f-word."

The root is undoubtedly Germanic, as it has cognates in other Northern European languages: Middle Dutch fokken meaning to thrust, to copulate with; dialectical Norwegian fukka meaning to copulate; and dialectical Swedish focka meaning to strike, push, copulate, and fock meaning penis. Both French and Italian have similar words, foutre and fottere respectively. These derive from the Latin futuere.

While these cognates exist, they are probably not the source of f-word, rather all these words probably come from a common root. Most of the early known usages of the English word come from Scotland, leading some scholars to believe that the word comes from Scandinavian sources. Others disagree, believing that the number of northern citations reflects that the taboo was weaker in Scotland and the north, resulting in more surviving usages. The fact that there are citations, albeit fewer of them, from southern England dating from the same period seems to bear out this latter theory.

There is also an elaborate explanation that has been circulating on the internet for some years regarding English archers, the Battle of Agincourt, and the phrase Pluck Yew! This explanation is a modern jest--a play on words. However, there may be a bit of truth to it. The British (it is virtually unknown in America) gesture of displaying the index and middle fingers with the back of the hand outwards (a reverse peace sign)--meaning the same as displaying the middle finger alone--may derive from the French practice of cutting the fingers off captured English archers. Archers would taunt the French on the battlefield with this gesture, showing they were intact and still dangerous. The pluck yew part is fancifully absurd. This is not the origin of the middle finger gesture, which is truly ancient, being referred to in classical Greek and Roman texts.

For more information on f-word and its usages, see The F Word, by Jesse Sheidlower, Random House, 1999, ISBN 0-375-70634-8. This is perhaps the most comprehensive treatment of the word available.

I went to see Green Day on their 2002 tour when they opened for Blink 182. My co-worker and I were the oldest there (early 30's). But you know what - Green Day was far better on stage, in performance, and with their audience repotoire than Blink. I don't recall very much foul language either - I just remember a good show and great music that the crowd loved. The band brings up 3-4 random people from the audience to play a song. They had a 10 year old on drums, and he was fantastic. The kid held the beat better than a metronome. His folks were right there in the front cheering him on. You can't put a price on the look of joy on that kids face playing with a band he loves. And, the singer(Billie Jo) and his band mates couldn't have been more accomodating and friendly to him and the other audience-turned-band members (older guy on bass, young fellow on lead guitar).

Blink, on the other hand, were downright filthy when it came to their on stage dialog with the audience.

EyeInTheSky said:
No disrespect, but it's clear you're from a different generation. You think your way, I think mine and we all have to respect our differences.
[post="309899"][/post]​

If I could put my finger on it, I would say that Joe is from the PIT area and is of Ukrainian or Russian stock (at least Eastern European) and his family was involved in the steel industry. Bet there is no fooling around at the kitchen table with the foul language. I can read it in the message.